pgsql: Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.

This has a performance benefit on own, although not hugely so. The
primary benefit is that it will allow for to JIT tuple deforming and
comparator invocations.

Large parts of this were previously committed (773aec7aa), but the
commit contained an omission around cross-type comparisons and was
thus reverted.

Author: Andres Freund
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171129080934.amqqkke2zjtekd4t@alap3.anarazel.de

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bf6c614a2f2c58312b3be34a47e7fb7362e07bcb

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/executor/execExpr.c           | 143 +++++++++++++++++
src/backend/executor/execExprInterp.c     |  29 ++++
src/backend/executor/execGrouping.c       | 249 +++++++-----------------------
src/backend/executor/nodeAgg.c            | 145 ++++++++++-------
src/backend/executor/nodeGroup.c          |  24 +--
src/backend/executor/nodeRecursiveunion.c |  11 +-
src/backend/executor/nodeSetOp.c          |  54 +++----
src/backend/executor/nodeSubplan.c        | 110 +++++++++++--
src/backend/executor/nodeUnique.c         |  31 ++--
src/backend/executor/nodeWindowAgg.c      |  38 +++--
src/backend/utils/adt/orderedsetaggs.c    |  56 +++----
src/include/executor/execExpr.h           |   1 +
src/include/executor/executor.h           |  34 ++--
src/include/executor/nodeAgg.h            |  14 +-
src/include/nodes/execnodes.h             |  27 ++--

Re: pgsql: Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2018-02-16 22:48:39 +0000, Andres Freund wrote:
> Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.
>
> This has a performance benefit on own, although not hugely so. The
> primary benefit is that it will allow for to JIT tuple deforming and
> comparator invocations.
>
> Large parts of this were previously committed (773aec7aa), but the
> commit contained an omission around cross-type comparisons and was
> thus reverted.
>
> Author: Andres Freund
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171129080934.amqqkke2zjtekd4t@alap3.anarazel.de

This triggered a failure on rhinoceros, in the sepgsql test:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rhinoceros&dt=2018-02-16%2023%3A45%3A02

The relevant diff is:
+ LOG:  SELinux: allowed { execute } scontext=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:sepgsql_regtest_superuser_t:s0-s0:c0.c255
tcontext=system_u:object_r:sepgsql_proc_exec_t:s0tclass=db_procedure name="pg_catalog.int4eq(integer,integer)"

and that's because we now invoke the function access hook for grouping
equal, which we previously didn't.

I personally think the new behaviour makes more sense, but if somebody
wants to argue differently? The only argument against I can see is that
there's some other cases where also don't yet invoke it, but that seems
weak.

I never fully grasped the exact use-case for the function execute hook
is, so maybe Kaigai and/or Robert could comment?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2018-02-16 22:48:39 +0000, Andres Freund wrote:
> Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.
>
> This has a performance benefit on own, although not hugely so. The
> primary benefit is that it will allow for to JIT tuple deforming and
> comparator invocations.
>
> Large parts of this were previously committed (773aec7aa), but the
> commit contained an omission around cross-type comparisons and was
> thus reverted.
>
> Author: Andres Freund
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171129080934.amqqkke2zjtekd4t@alap3.anarazel.de

This triggered a failure on rhinoceros, in the sepgsql test:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rhinoceros&dt=2018-02-16%2023%3A45%3A02

The relevant diff is:
+ LOG:  SELinux: allowed { execute } scontext=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:sepgsql_regtest_superuser_t:s0-s0:c0.c255
tcontext=system_u:object_r:sepgsql_proc_exec_t:s0tclass=db_procedure name="pg_catalog.int4eq(integer,integer)"

and that's because we now invoke the function access hook for grouping
equal, which we previously didn't.

I personally think the new behaviour makes more sense, but if somebody
wants to argue differently? The only argument against I can see is that
there's some other cases where also don't yet invoke it, but that seems
weak.

I never fully grasped the exact use-case for the function execute hook
is, so maybe Kaigai and/or Robert could comment?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2018-02-16 16:03:37 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> This triggered a failure on rhinoceros, in the sepgsql test:
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rhinoceros&dt=2018-02-16%2023%3A45%3A02
>
> The relevant diff is:
> + LOG:  SELinux: allowed { execute } scontext=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:sepgsql_regtest_superuser_t:s0-s0:c0.c255
tcontext=system_u:object_r:sepgsql_proc_exec_t:s0tclass=db_procedure name="pg_catalog.int4eq(integer,integer)"

> and that's because we now invoke the function access hook for grouping
> equal, which we previously didn't.
>
> I personally think the new behaviour makes more sense, but if somebody
> wants to argue differently? The only argument against I can see is that
> there's some other cases where also don't yet invoke it, but that seems
> weak.
>
> I never fully grasped the exact use-case for the function execute hook
> is, so maybe Kaigai and/or Robert could comment?

Fixed by adjusting the test output:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rhinoceros&dt=2018-02-21%2002%3A45%3A01

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Do execGrouping.c via expression eval machinery, take two.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,