Re: Pgcrypto (PostgreSQL 10) on Debain 9?

From
Magnus Hagander

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM, Thiemo Kellner <thiemo@gelassene-pferde.biz> wrote:
Hi all

I use Debian Strech (9) with PostgreSQL repository (as described on https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt). I would like to use pgcrypto or uuid-ossp but to the contrary of 9.x there is no contribution package for 10 so neither of the modules is installable. What did I miss?

pgcrypto and uuid-ossp are both in the core package for PostgreSQL 10.

--

Pgcrypto (PostgreSQL 10) on Debain 9?

From
Thiemo Kellner
Date:
Hi all

I use Debian Strech (9) with PostgreSQL repository (as described on
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt). I would like to use pgcrypto or
uuid-ossp but to the contrary of 9.x there is no contribution package
for 10 so neither of the modules is installable. What did I miss?

Kind regards

Thiemo

--
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8F70EFD2D972CBEF

Re: Pgcrypto (PostgreSQL 10) on Debain 9?

From
"Thiemo Kellner, NHC Barhufpflege"
Date:
Zitat von Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:

> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM, Thiemo Kellner <thiemo@gelassene-pferde.biz>
> wrote:
>
> pgcrypto and uuid-ossp are both in the core package for PostgreSQL 10.

So, I take the documentation would be outdated?

But why do I get following error?
ERROR: function gen_random_uuid() does not exist.
create table ENTITY (ID uuid not null default gen_random_uuid());

--
+49 (0)1578-772 37 37
+41 (0)78 947 36 21
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8F70EFD2D972CBEF

Re: Pgcrypto (PostgreSQL 10) on Debain 9?

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 06/02/18 13:25, Thiemo Kellner, NHC Barhufpflege wrote:
> Zitat von Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM, Thiemo Kellner
>> <thiemo@gelassene-pferde.biz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> pgcrypto and uuid-ossp are both in the core package for PostgreSQL 10.
>
> So, I take the documentation would be outdated?
>
> But why do I get following error?
> ERROR: function gen_random_uuid() does not exist.
> create table ENTITY (ID uuid not null default gen_random_uuid());

Only a guess, but maybe you need to install the extension first? -

    create extension <whatever>;

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Pgcrypto (PostgreSQL 10) on Debain 9?

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 03:58:14PM +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 06/02/18 13:25, Thiemo Kellner, NHC Barhufpflege wrote:
>> But why do I get following error?
>> ERROR: function gen_random_uuid() does not exist.
>> create table ENTITY (ID uuid not null default gen_random_uuid());
>
> Only a guess, but maybe you need to install the extension first? -
>
>    create extension <whatever>;

For gen_random_uuid(), you need to enable pgcrypto:
create extension pgcrypto;
For a couple of other UUID-related functions, you need to enable
uuid-ossp:
create extension "uuid-ossp";
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: [solved] Pgcrypto (PostgreSQL 10) on Debain 9?

From
Thiemo Kellner
Date:
Zitat von Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>:

> Only a guess, but maybe you need to install the extension first? -
>
>    create extension <whatever>;

Thanks, right guess as I figured out yesterday evening after reading
not only the module portion but the introduction to the modules. I
also was mislead by the fact that those went into core in version 10.

Greetings to Galway (where I spent preparations for my CAE) from
Bannholz at the Hochrhein