Getting started with first user.

From
Agnar Renolen
Date:
I have just installed PostGIS (Postgres9.6) on a Debian server using apt-get.

But I have problems doing anything:

I installed as root, but trying doing things as my local user "me"

me> createuser me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "me" does not exist

Then, trying the same as root, but gettinge the same result.

root> createuser me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "root" does not exist

Then trying with the -U postgres option.

root> createuser -U postgres me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

How do I get started?

Re: Getting started with first user.

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:

https://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql#User_access

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Getting started with first user.

From
Jaime Soler
Date:
please try su postgres -c 'createuser -U postgres me' or change auth method in your pg_hba.conf

I have just installed PostGIS (Postgres9.6) on a Debian server using apt-get.

But I have problems doing anything:

I installed as root, but trying doing things as my local user "me"

me> createuser me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "me" does not exist

Then, trying the same as root, but gettinge the same result.

root> createuser me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "root" does not exist

Then trying with the -U postgres option.

root> createuser -U postgres me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

How do I get started?

Re: Getting started with first user.

From
John McKown
Date:
I have just installed PostGIS (Postgres9.6) on a Debian server using apt-get.

But I have problems doing anything:

I installed as root, but trying doing things as my local user "me"

me> createuser me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "me" does not exist

Then, trying the same as root, but gettinge the same result.

root> createuser me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "root" does not exist

Then trying with the -U postgres option.

root> createuser -U postgres me
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

How do I get started?

​It's been a long time for me, but as I recall, I did something like:

me$ sudo su - # change to root
root# su - postgres # change to postgres user
postgres$​ createuser -s me #create "me"
postgres$ exit # go back to root
root# exit # go back to me
me$ createdb me # create my default database

In /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf , I have lines like:

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

local   all             all                                     trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 trust

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Re: Getting started with first user.

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 09/01/18 09:48, Agnar Renolen wrote:
> Then trying with the -U postgres option.
>
> root> createuser -U postgres me
> createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: Peer
> authentication failed for user "postgres"

You need to specify the host as well, to force a TCP/IP connection:

   createuser -U postgres -h localhost me

The default pg_hba.conf on Debian uses a Unix socket and peer
authentication, hence the error you're seeing.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Getting started with first user.

From
Agnar Renolen

Found out a way out.

Logged in as root, and created a password for the postgres user.

Then logged in as postgres and and ran "createuser -s me".

Then logging in as me, ran "createdb"
Agnar