Logical replication blocking alter/drop

From
Mark Fletcher
Date:
Hi All,

Postgres 9.6.5. We run several logical replication processes off our main postgres server. What we've noticed is that schema changes seem to block until we halt the logical replication processes. For example, I just did a 'DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY' command, and it just sat there until I stopped the logical replication processes (I did not have to drop the logical replication slots).

Is this expected or are we perhaps doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Logical replication blocking alter/drop

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Postgres 9.6.5. We run several logical replication processes off our main
> postgres server. What we've noticed is that schema changes seem to block
> until we halt the logical replication processes. For example, I just did a
> 'DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY' command, and it just sat there until I stopped
> the logical replication processes (I did not have to drop the logical
> replication slots).

What sort of logical replication are you running?