pgsql: Remove unreachable code in expression evaluation.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Remove unreachable code in expression evaluation.

The previous code still contained expression evaluation time support
for CaseExprs without a defresult.  But transformCaseExpr() creates a
default expression if necessary.

Author: Andres Freund
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/4834.1490480275@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ad46a2aa79f9ee79aecd889d0ace9ecc08dae984

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/executor/execExpr.c | 20 ++++++--------------

Re: pgsql: Remove unreachable code in expression evaluation.

Date:
> Remove unreachable code in expression evaluation.
> The previous code still contained expression evaluation time support
> for CaseExprs without a defresult.  But transformCaseExpr() creates a
> default expression if necessary.

BTW, now that I think about it, I wonder if a better answer wouldn't
be to leave the execExpr code as it stood, and remove the code in
transformCaseExpr that pre-creates a default expression.  You'd end
up with identical code at runtime, and eliminate some parse/rewrite/plan
overhead for dealing with that subexpression.

It's possible there's some code somewhere else that expects defresult
to always be non-null, but I can't think what, or why that would be
a good thing to assume.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 2017-03-26 00:14:30 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Remove unreachable code in expression evaluation.
> > The previous code still contained expression evaluation time support
> > for CaseExprs without a defresult.  But transformCaseExpr() creates a
> > default expression if necessary.
>
> BTW, now that I think about it, I wonder if a better answer wouldn't
> be to leave the execExpr code as it stood, and remove the code in
> transformCaseExpr that pre-creates a default expression.  You'd end
> up with identical code at runtime, and eliminate some parse/rewrite/plan
> overhead for dealing with that subexpression.
>
> It's possible there's some code somewhere else that expects defresult
> to always be non-null, but I can't think what, or why that would be
> a good thing to assume.

There's some relationship with the type inferrence code in
transformCaseExpr().  I don't think it'd be hard to change, however -
just move resultexprs = lcons(newc->defresult, resultexprs); into the
else branch of if defresult == NULL.

- Andres