BUG #14957: service initdb fails (initdbcmd run in background)

From
benthorner@hotmail.co.uk
Date:

Bug reference:      14957
Logged by:          Ben Thorner
Email address:      benthorner@hotmail.co.uk
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.6
Operating system:   RHEL 6.8

Running 'service postgresql-9.6 initdb' fails in 9.6.6-3 due to $initdbcmd
being run in the background. This is causing the subsequent init script
checks to fail and also does not allow for $initdbcmd to complete. Looking
at an exsting installation at version 9.6.6-1 I can see $initdbcmd is run in
the foreground, indicating this is a regression.

Re: BUG #14957: service initdb fails (initdbcmd run in background)

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Sun, 2017-12-10 at 16:53 +0000, benthorner@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> Running 'service postgresql-9.6 initdb' fails in 9.6.6-3 due to $initdbcmd
> being run in the background. This is causing the subsequent init script
> checks to fail and also does not allow for $initdbcmd to complete. Looking
> at an exsting installation at version 9.6.6-1 I can see $initdbcmd is run in
> the foreground, indicating this is a regression.

Thanks for the report. Since this looks urgent to fix, and received a bunch of
bug reports already, will fix this ASAP.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: BUG #14957: service initdb fails (initdbcmd run in background)

From
Devrim Gündüz
> Running 'service postgresql-9.6 initdb' fails in 9.6.6-3 due to $initdbcmd
> being run in the background. This is causing the subsequent init script
> checks to fail and also does not allow for $initdbcmd to complete. Looking
> at an exsting installation at version 9.6.6-1 I can see $initdbcmd is run in
> the foreground, indicating this is a regression.

Thanks for the report. Pushed 9.6.6-4 RPMs to RHEL 6 repo, which fixes this
issue. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: BUG #14957: service initdb fails (initdbcmd run in background)

From
Ben Thorner

   Works now - thanks for fixing so quickly :-)

Yours, Ben