Future of PlPython2

From
Boshomi DeWiki
Date:
Python 2.7 will not be maintained past 2020.[1]

Python2 is still default for Postgres 10. CREATE EXTENSION PLPYTHONU results in installation of PLPYTHON2U.

As of now SUSE does not support PLPYTHON3U. (This will change soon)

Are there any plans for declaring Python3 as default for Postgres 11 or a later Release?

Re: Future of PlPython2

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 12/09/2017 09:15 AM, Boshomi DeWiki wrote:
> Python 2.7 will not be maintained past 2020.[1]
>
> Python2 is still default for Postgres 10. CREATE EXTENSION PLPYTHONU
> results in installation of PLPYTHON2U.
>
> As of now SUSE does not support PLPYTHON3U. (This will change soon)
>
> Are there any plans for declaring Python3 as default for Postgres 11
> or a later Release?
>
> [1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

This is probably more of a -hackers question, but I would +1 the python3
version being the default in 11.

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: Future of PlPython2

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 12/9/17 12:15, Boshomi DeWiki wrote:
> Python 2.7 will not be maintained past 2020.[1]
>
> Python2 is still default for Postgres 10. CREATE EXTENSION PLPYTHONU
> results in installation of PLPYTHON2U.
>
> As of now SUSE does not support PLPYTHON3U. (This will change soon)
>
> Are there any plans for declaring Python3 as default for Postgres 11 or
> a later Release?

For me, this depends on whether there will be an update to PEP 394
sometime for guidance.