Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
Riccardo Bassani
Date:
As SQL Server 2016 (
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking
) , or Oracle does: it could be a neat feature having Dynamic Data
Masking, even if it has some limitations, it could help in the
application development, imho.

I know it's possible to put this logic in the application (if you look
in internet for "spring framework data masking" you find a lot of
results).

What do you think?
I know there is more important things to do (like partitioning or
parallelism), but it could be neat to see that in a future release .

Thank you,
Riccardo

Re: Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Riccardo Bassani wrote:
> As SQL Server 2016 (
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking
> ) , or Oracle does: it could be a neat feature having Dynamic Data
> Masking, even if it has some limitations, it could help in the
> application development, imho.
>
> I know it's possible to put this logic in the application (if you look
> in internet for "spring framework data masking" you find a lot of
> results).
>
> What do you think?
> I know there is more important things to do (like partitioning or
> parallelism), but it could be neat to see that in a future release .

Data masking is pretty important actually.  Since you seem to have an
interest in seeing it done, care to submit a patch?

Re: Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
Karsten Hilbert
Date:
On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 09:59:22PM +0100, Riccardo Bassani wrote:

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking

There's already at least 4 mechanismus that come to mind
which can do things like that:

    on SELECT RULEs

    column GRANTs

    RLS

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
Riccardo Bassani
Date:
Sorry, I don't develop in C.
I could always learn how to develop in C, and how it works a DBMS, but
it will take some time :)

Anyway it's interisting to see some some people interested in that feature, too.

> Riccardo Bassani wrote:
>> As SQL Server 2016 (
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking
>> ) , or Oracle does: it could be a neat feature having Dynamic Data
>> Masking, even if it has some limitations, it could help in the
>> application development, imho.
>>
>> I know it's possible to put this logic in the application (if you look
>> in internet for "spring framework data masking" you find a lot of
>> results).
>>
>> What do you think?
>> I know there is more important things to do (like partitioning or
>> parallelism), but it could be neat to see that in a future release .
>
> Data masking is pretty important actually.  Since you seem to have an
> interest in seeing it done, care to submit a patch?
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
Riccardo Bassani
Date:
I will have a look, thank you for the tips!

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 09:59:22PM +0100, Riccardo Bassani wrote:
>
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking
>
> There's already at least 4 mechanismus that come to mind
> which can do things like that:
>
>         on SELECT RULEs

>         column GRANTs
>
>         RLS
>
> Karsten
> --
> GPG key ID E4071346 @ eu.pool.sks-keyservers.net
> E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
John R Pierce
Date:
There's already at least 4 mechanismus that come to mind
which can do things like that:
on SELECT RULEs
column GRANTs
RLS

yeah, but its so much cooler if you invent a bunch of proprietary methods of doing the same thing, and give it new marketing buzzwords !!!

</microsoft>

Re: Feature idea: Dynamic Data Making

From
Joe Conway
Date:
On 12/05/2017 01:03 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Riccardo Bassani wrote:
>> As SQL Server 2016 (
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking
>> ) , or Oracle does: it could be a neat feature having Dynamic Data
>> Masking, even if it has some limitations, it could help in the
>> application development, imho.
>>
>> I know it's possible to put this logic in the application (if you look
>> in internet for "spring framework data masking" you find a lot of
>> results).
>>
>> What do you think?
>> I know there is more important things to do (like partitioning or
>> parallelism), but it could be neat to see that in a future release .
>
> Data masking is pretty important actually.  Since you seem to have an
> interest in seeing it done, care to submit a patch?

I was recently discussing this with some other hackers, and the
consensus seemed to be that this should be implemented with a new kind
of POLICY that operates at the field level. We didn't go into much
detail beyond that though.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com