Fix for RM2811

From
Harshal Dhumal
Date:
Hi,

Please find attached patch to fix RM2811

Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log file while reading it reaches to last line then
we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. Background process may be busy performing
some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So we should also check process exit code along
with above condition.

Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status text colour.

--
Harshal Dhumal
Sr. Software Engineer

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Attachment

Re: Fix for RM2811

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Harshal Dhumal < harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Please find attached patch to fix RM2811 > > Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log file > while reading it reaches to last line then > we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. > Background process may be busy performing > some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So we > should also check process exit code along > with above condition. > > Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status text > colour. > Seems to work nicely, except that the text scrolls out of view almost immediately. Can you fix it to jump to the end of the text when more is appended please? Thanks. -- Dave Page Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com Twitter: @pgsnake EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fix for RM2811

From
Harshal Dhumal
Date:
Hi Dave,

Please find updated patch.

--
Harshal Dhumal
Sr. Software Engineer

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Please find attached patch to fix RM2811

Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log file while reading it reaches to last line then
we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. Background process may be busy performing
some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So we should also check process exit code along
with above condition.

Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status text colour.

Seems to work nicely, except that the text scrolls out of view almost immediately. Can you fix it to jump to the end of the text when more is appended please?

Fixed.

Thanks.

--

Date:
Hi

Please find attached patch to fix RM2811

Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log file while reading it reaches to last line then
we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. Background process may be busy performing
some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So we should also check process exit code along
with above condition.

Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status text colour.

Seems to work nicely, except that the text scrolls out of view almost immediately. Can you fix it to jump to the end of the text when more is appended please?

Fixed.

Looks good - though when I tested with a large database, it got to a point and then just stopped adding more data to the logs (in fact, even the err file in the process_log directory stopped receiving updates). However, the database carried on being dumped, and it had definitely moved past the point it was up to in the logs. I've attached all the output received - it literally stops at the 'c'.

I've committed the patch, but can you see if you can reproduce this please?

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Attachment

Re: Fix for RM2811

From
Harshal Dhumal
Date:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Dave Page wrote: > Hi > > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harshal Dhumal < > harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: > >> Hi Dave, >> >> Please find updated patch. >> >> -- >> *Harshal Dhumal* >> *Sr. Software Engineer* >> >> EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com >> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company >> >> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Dave Page wrote: >> >>> Hi >>> >>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Harshal Dhumal < >>> harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: >>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> Please find attached patch to fix RM2811 >>>> >>>> Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log >>>> file while reading it reaches to last line then >>>> we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. >>>> Background process may be busy performing >>>> some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So we >>>> should also check process exit code along >>>> with above condition. >>>> >>>> Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status >>>> text colour. >>>> >>> >>> Seems to work nicely, except that the text scrolls out of view almost >>> immediately. Can you fix it to jump to the end of the text when more is >>> appended please? >>> >>> Fixed. >> > > Looks good - though when I tested with a large database, it got to a point > and then just stopped adding more data to the logs (in fact, even the err > file in the process_log directory stopped receiving updates). However, the > database carried on being dumped, and it had definitely moved past the > point it was up to in the logs. I've attached all the output received - it > literally stops at the 'c'. > > I've committed the patch, but can you see if you can reproduce this please? > Sure Dave. I'll have a look at this once. > > Thanks! > > > -- > Dave Page > Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com > Twitter: @pgsnake > > EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com > The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company >

Re: Fix for RM2811

From
Harshal Dhumal
Date:
Hi Dave, -- On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Harshal Dhumal wrote: > > > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Dave Page wrote: > >> Hi >> >> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harshal Dhumal < >> harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: >> >>> Hi Dave, >>> >>> Please find updated patch. >>> >>> -- >>> *Harshal Dhumal* >>> *Sr. Software Engineer* >>> >>> EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com >>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company >>> >>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Dave Page wrote: >>> >>>> Hi >>>> >>>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Harshal Dhumal < >>>> harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> Please find attached patch to fix RM2811 >>>>> >>>>> Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log >>>>> file while reading it reaches to last line then >>>>> we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. >>>>> Background process may be busy performing >>>>> some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So >>>>> we should also check process exit code along >>>>> with above condition. >>>>> >>>>> Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status >>>>> text colour. >>>>> >>>> >>>> Seems to work nicely, except that the text scrolls out of view almost >>>> immediately. Can you fix it to jump to the end of the text when more is >>>> appended please? >>>> >>>> Fixed. >>> >> >> Looks good - though when I tested with a large database, it got to a >> point and then just stopped adding more data to the logs (in fact, even the >> err file in the process_log directory stopped receiving updates). However, >> the database carried on being dumped, and it had definitely moved past the >> point it was up to in the logs. I've attached all the output received - it >> literally stops at the 'c'. >> >> I've committed the patch, but can you see if you can reproduce this >> please? >> > Sure Dave. I'll have a look at this once. > I tried backing up server with size ~1.3 GB multiple times and was able see log till the end. Thanks! >> >> >> -- >> Dave Page >> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com >> Twitter: @pgsnake >> >> EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com >> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company >> > >

Re: Fix for RM2811

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Harshal Dhumal < harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: > Hi Dave, > -- > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Harshal Dhumal > wrote: > >> >> >> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Dave Page wrote: >> >>> Hi >>> >>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harshal Dhumal < >>> harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: >>> >>>> Hi Dave, >>>> >>>> Please find updated patch. >>>> >>>> -- >>>> *Harshal Dhumal* >>>> *Sr. Software Engineer* >>>> >>>> EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com >>>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company >>>> >>>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Dave Page wrote: >>>> >>>>> Hi >>>>> >>>>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Harshal Dhumal < >>>>> harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> Hi, >>>>>> >>>>>> Please find attached patch to fix RM2811 >>>>>> >>>>>> Issue was caused due to assumption made when current position in log >>>>>> file while reading it reaches to last line then >>>>>> we were assuming process is finished. However this is not the case. >>>>>> Background process may be busy performing >>>>>> some other task and logs might not be logged to file immediately. So >>>>>> we should also check process exit code along >>>>>> with above condition. >>>>>> >>>>>> Apart from above this patch also includes minor fix related to status >>>>>> text colour. >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Seems to work nicely, except that the text scrolls out of view almost >>>>> immediately. Can you fix it to jump to the end of the text when more is >>>>> appended please? >>>>> >>>>> Fixed. >>>> >>> >>> Looks good - though when I tested with a large database, it got to a >>> point and then just stopped adding more data to the logs (in fact, even the >>> err file in the process_log directory stopped receiving updates). However, >>> the database carried on being dumped, and it had definitely moved past the >>> point it was up to in the logs. I've attached all the output received - it >>> literally stops at the 'c'. >>> >>> I've committed the patch, but can you see if you can reproduce this >>> please? >>> >> Sure Dave. I'll have a look at this once. >> > > I tried backing up server with size ~1.3 GB multiple times and was able > see log till the end. > Hmm, weird. I was running on Mac, not sure if that makes a difference. I'll test again when I get a minute. -- Dave Page Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com Twitter: @pgsnake EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company