Apologies to 2Q

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

There were some community members who felt that I exposed 2Q in a
negative light.[1] That was not my intent. Simon has cleared up a
misconception of mine about how 2Q handles their closed source version
of Postgres with this statement:

"""

Thanks Shane, that appears correct.

And on the main point of contention: 2ndQuadrant is not migrating
users to closed versions "as soon as possible", it is simply an extra
service that customers may choose to utilize if they wish to do so
because of issues they experience in a current supported version.

"""

I want to thank Simon for being clear about what he didn't like about my
email and for clearing up my statement which may have caused confusion.
I also want to thank Shane for taking the time to distill the message.

I will iterate that I believe that 2Q and EDB are the primary corporate
contributors to the PostgreSQL code base and they should both be thanked
and we should be gracious to those contributing companies. I will also
iterate that even if 2Q was pushing people to their closed
source/supported version that I literally DO NOT CARE. PostgreSQL is BSD
licensed, if you want to close it and build up a customer base on it, GO
FOR IT! If you succeed there is demand, if you don't there wasn't.

I wish you all the best,

Joshua D. Drake

1.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/91727D12-C814-4CDE-AAB9-760CE4E8EB46%40postgresql.org

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: Apologies to 2Q

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 20 November 2017 at 20:37, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There were some community members who felt that I exposed 2Q in a negative
> light.[1] That was not my intent. Simon has cleared up a misconception of
> mine about how 2Q handles their closed source version of Postgres with this
> statement:
>
> """
>
> Thanks Shane, that appears correct.
>
> And on the main point of contention: 2ndQuadrant is not migrating
> users to closed versions "as soon as possible", it is simply an extra
> service that customers may choose to utilize if they wish to do so
> because of issues they experience in a current supported version.
>
> """
>
> I want to thank Simon for being clear about what he didn't like about my
> email and for clearing up my statement which may have caused confusion. I
> also want to thank Shane for taking the time to distill the message.
>
> I will iterate that I believe that 2Q and EDB are the primary corporate
> contributors to the PostgreSQL code base and they should both be thanked and
> we should be gracious to those contributing companies.

Thanks very much for your apology.

> I will also iterate
> that even if 2Q was pushing people to their closed source/supported version
> that I literally DO NOT CARE. PostgreSQL is BSD licensed, if you want to
> close it and build up a customer base on it, GO FOR IT! If you succeed there
> is demand, if you don't there wasn't.

And again, just to clarify, 2ndQuadrant is pushing people towards open
source, not away from it.

https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/postgresql/2ndquadrants-passion-postgresql/