pg_dump truncating queries in error messages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
When reporting an error from a query, pg_dump truncates the reported
query to 128 characters (pg_backup_db.c ExecuteSqlCommand()).

Is this (still) sensible?  The kind of queries that pg_dump is running
nowadays, I find myself unable to debug them if they are truncated at
that length.

Re: pg_dump truncating queries in error messages

Date:
> When reporting an error from a query, pg_dump truncates the reported
> query to 128 characters (pg_backup_db.c ExecuteSqlCommand()).

> Is this (still) sensible?  The kind of queries that pg_dump is running
> nowadays, I find myself unable to debug them if they are truncated at
> that length.

Not clear that it ever was very sensible ... +1 for removing the limit.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 3/26/17 16:09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> When reporting an error from a query, pg_dump truncates the reported
>> query to 128 characters (pg_backup_db.c ExecuteSqlCommand()).
>
>> Is this (still) sensible?  The kind of queries that pg_dump is running
>> nowadays, I find myself unable to debug them if they are truncated at
>> that length.
>
> Not clear that it ever was very sensible ... +1 for removing the limit.

OK done.