Installing postgresql on Windows results in initdb failure

From
frank church
Date:
In trying to install postgresql 8.0.3 on Windows I got an error on running the
initdb script, that caused the whole process to be aborted and reversed.
Not even a log  was created inspite of the dialog asking me to read the log
message before closing the it.

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).Click on OK to
terminate the application

Failed to run initdb: 128!
Please see logfile in c:\program files\postgresql\....

Is there a workaround for it or a known cause for it?

Re: Installing postgresql on Windows results in initdb failure

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> In trying to install postgresql 8.0.3 on Windows I got an
> error on running the initdb script, that caused the whole
> process to be aborted and reversed.
> Not even a log  was created inspite of the dialog asking me
> to read the log message before closing the it.
>
> The application failed to initialize properly
> (0xc0000022).Click on OK to terminate the application

Googling a bit on this shows that it has something to do with
permissions. SOmewhere on your systems arae permissions that's
preventing the pg service account from launching initdb. It could be on
any of the referenced standard DLLs. Try using filemon from
www.sysinternals.com to see which file(s) it fails on.

//Magnus

Re: Installing postgresql on Windows results in initdb failure

From
frank church
Date:
Quoting Magnus Hagander <mha@sollentuna.net>:

I tried it again, and change the installation directory and deleted the postgres
user for postgres to handle it, and still got the same error.

Filemon did not show any reference to the initdb executeable.

I am installing cygwin version for the time being, until I can get the windows
one running.

Thanks

Date:
> I tried it again, and change the installation directory and
> deleted the postgres user for postgres to handle it, and
> still got the same error.
>
> Filemon did not show any reference to the initdb executeable.

You need to look for any file, most likely a DLL file that is *not*
initdb, that it gets access denied on.

//Magnus