pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From
rabt@dim.uchile.cl
Date:
Hi guys,

I've been testing windows native port of postgresql 8.0.1 at home and now I want
to try it at work. The problem is that my admins are a little concerned about
users privileges, so they left us with read-only privs on System32 folder,
which means that pginstaller can't copy libpq.dll file to it's default
location, and of course installation can't proceed. I've tried msiexec docs
with no luck and I've also tried setting SYSTEMROOT variable to a different
location with no results.

Is there anything I can do or should I go back to cygwin port of pgsql?

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo Abt,
Chile.

Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Apr 7, 2005, at 2:46 PM, rabt@dim.uchile.cl wrote:

> I've been testing windows native port of postgresql 8.0.1 at home and
> now I want
> to try it at work. The problem is that my admins are a little
> concerned about
> users privileges, so they left us with read-only privs on System32
> folder,
> which means that pginstaller can't copy libpq.dll file to it's default
> location, and of course installation can't proceed. I've tried msiexec
> docs
> with no luck and I've also tried setting SYSTEMROOT variable to a
> different
> location with no results.
>
> Is there anything I can do or should I go back to cygwin port of pgsql?

One option is to build from source using MinGW. Any of the utilities
like psql.exe will run fine as long as you have the dll files in the
same directory.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
John DeSoi wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2005, at 2:46 PM, rabt@dim.uchile.cl wrote:
>
>> I've been testing windows native port of postgresql 8.0.1 at home and
>> now I want
>> to try it at work. The problem is that my admins are a little
>> concerned about
>> users privileges, so they left us with read-only privs on System32
>> folder,
>> which means that pginstaller can't copy libpq.dll file to it's default
>> location, and of course installation can't proceed. I've tried
>> msiexec docs
>> with no luck and I've also tried setting SYSTEMROOT variable to a
>> different
>> location with no results.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do or should I go back to cygwin port of pgsql?
>

> One option is to build from source using MinGW. Any of the utilities
> like psql.exe will run fine as long as you have the dll files in the
> same directory.

I know I would love to see a precompiled windows version of postgresql
that didn't require the installer.  Something like a zip file that
contains everything under the "configure --prefix" directory.  That way
it would be very easy for me to keep different versions on my machine
for testing purposes.  It also allows a non-privlidged user to install
postgresql on Windows (with-out having to compile by hand) which is
something the project has always strived for.

Any reason this can't happen?

Matt

Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> I've been testing windows native port of postgresql 8.0.1
> at home and
> >> now I want to try it at work. The problem is that my admins are a
> >> little concerned about users privileges, so they left us with
> >> read-only privs on System32 folder, which means that pginstaller
> >> can't copy libpq.dll file to it's default location, and of course
> >> installation can't proceed. I've tried msiexec docs with
> no luck and
> >> I've also tried setting SYSTEMROOT variable to a different
> location
> >> with no results.
> >>
> >> Is there anything I can do or should I go back to cygwin
> port of pgsql?
> >

> > One option is to build from source using MinGW. Any of the
> utilities
> > like psql.exe will run fine as long as you have the dll
> files in the
> > same directory.
>

> I know I would love to see a precompiled windows version of
> postgresql that didn't require the installer.  Something like
> a zip file that contains everything under the "configure
> --prefix" directory.  That way it would be very easy for me
> to keep different versions on my machine for testing
> purposes.  It also allows a non-privlidged user to install
> postgresql on Windows (with-out having to compile by hand)
> which is something the project has always strived for.
>
> Any reason this can't happen?

Not really. Should be easy enough. We should do that starting with 8.0.2
;-)

Question is, what to do about dependencies? libpq depends on a bunch of
libraries (openssl, libiconv for example). Shuold we bundle those or
just say where they can be downloaded? (while openssl is pretty common
on most linux systems, it's not on windows. And I almost never come
across a box with libiconv on)

//Magnus

Date:
On Apr 8, 2005, at 3:37 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Question is, what to do about dependencies? libpq depends on a bunch of
> libraries (openssl, libiconv for example). Shuold we bundle those or
> just say where they can be downloaded? (while openssl is pretty common
> on most linux systems, it's not on windows. And I almost never come
> across a box with libiconv on)

My vote would be just to include all of the dlls in the same directory
as the .exe files. I know this goes against the traditional separation
of bin and lib directories, but I would much prefer something that
"just works" by dragging a folder from one machine to another. It also
makes it easy to work with multiple versions without worrying about
dependencies or conflicts. To me, these advantages far outweigh the
ugliness of throwing everything into one directory.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From
rabt@dim.uchile.cl
Date:
Hi John,

I compiled postgresql under MinGW with no flaws at all, it's straightforward.
However when I start initdb it complains about administrative rights, that I'm
SURE I don't have. I checked permissions and ownership too, and I left full
control only to the user I'm working (which has no administrative permissions).
I tried using "runas /user" and it doesn't work. I've downloaded
postgresql-8.0.2beta1-no-installer.zip version, uncompressed it, changed paths,
and it complains about libea.dll library. ¿Am I missing something?

Rodrigo,
Chile.

P.S.: On cygwin works perfect under the same user.

Mensaje citado por John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>:

> On Apr 7, 2005, at 2:46 PM, rabt@dim.uchile.cl wrote:
>
> > I've been testing windows native port of postgresql 8.0.1 at home and
> > now I want
> > to try it at work. The problem is that my admins are a little
> > concerned about
> > users privileges, so they left us with read-only privs on System32
> > folder,
> > which means that pginstaller can't copy libpq.dll file to it's default
> > location, and of course installation can't proceed. I've tried msiexec
> > docs
> > with no luck and I've also tried setting SYSTEMROOT variable to a
> > different
> > location with no results.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do or should I go back to cygwin port of pgsql?
>

> One option is to build from source using MinGW. Any of the utilities
> like psql.exe will run fine as long as you have the dll files in the
> same directory.
>
> John DeSoi, Ph.D.
> http://pgedit.com/
> Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From
rabt@dim.uchile.cl
Date:
Found solution!. Recently I've discovered that my account belongs to the power
users group, so I've managed to create a limited account named postgres which
runs initdb.exe with no problems. Thank you all guys for your support.

Here is a summary of the steps:

1. Download postgres-8.0.1 sources.
2. Download and install MinGW an MSYS
3. Open msys.exe and cd to postgresql source dir
3. Do configure --without-zlib
4. Do make install
5. Move created /usr/local/pgsql to final destination, i.e. D:\PostgreSQL
6. Included D:\PostgreSQL\lib and D:\PostgreSQL\bin to PATH variable
7. Added limited account "postgres" with corresponding password
8. Open cmd.exe under postgres, i.e. runas /user:DOMAIN\postgres cmd
9. Execute initdb -D D:\PostgreSQL\data -W -E LATIN1
10. Execute pg_ctl -D D:\PostgreSQL\data start....and there you go

Then fire up pgadmin, psql or whatever client you want.

Rodrigo Abt,
Chile.

Mensaje citado por rabt@dim.uchile.cl:

----- Fin del mensaje reenviado -----