Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > If we want to go all the way, the file should be in Application
> > Data\postgresql. The other option is to keep current as
> > %USERPROFILE%\.pgpass. But 8.0 is probably the best time ever to
> > change it into the subdir (to group the files together).
>
> I was wondering about that.  The current behavior on Unix is
>
>     ~/.pgpass
>     ~/.psqlrc
>     ~/.psql_history
>     ~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt
>     ~/.postgresql/postgresql.key
>     ~/.postgresql/root.crt
>
> which is less than consistent but I'm disinclined to change it.
> If we put all these files into a single directory on Windows,
> we are going to have a documentation problem because of lack
> of consistency between platforms. Should we do it anyway?

If we want to "play nice" in the windows world, we should definitly
*not* put things directly in %USERPROFILE%. And if we're ever going to
change it, now is the time.
I would like to see all these files moved into <appdatadir>\PostgreSQL\
or %USERPROFILE%\PostgreSQL\ (Appdata is obviously the nicest).
We might want to consider removing the leading-dot on those files too -
some Widnows tools go nuts on that. (most don't, but some do). And it
doesn't accomplish anything (like it does on Unix) other than confusing
the user. If it's not too much work.

//Magnus

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>If we want to "play nice" in the windows world, we should definitly
>*not* put things directly in %USERPROFILE%. And if we're ever going to
>change it, now is the time.
>I would like to see all these files moved into <appdatadir>\PostgreSQL\
>or %USERPROFILE%\PostgreSQL\ (Appdata is obviously the nicest).
>We might want to consider removing the leading-dot on those files too -
>some Widnows tools go nuts on that. (most don't, but some do). And it
>doesn't accomplish anything (like it does on Unix) other than confusing
>the user. If it's not too much work.

The problem with Appdata is that it's a hidden folder.  Are we storing
files here that we expect the user to be able to get to easitly and edit
often?  It may still be the best option, but I thought I would rasise
that point.  The other option is to put most of this data into the
registrty.

BTW I have a few folders like %USERPROVILE%\.Application from windows
ports of Unix apps like the GIMP.

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From
Andrew Dunstan

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> If we want to "play nice" in the windows world, we should definitly
>> *not* put things directly in %USERPROFILE%. And if we're ever going to
>> change it, now is the time. I would like to see all these files moved
>> into <appdatadir>\PostgreSQL\
>> or %USERPROFILE%\PostgreSQL\ (Appdata is obviously the nicest). We
>> might want to consider removing the leading-dot on those files too -
>> some Widnows tools go nuts on that. (most don't, but some do). And it
>> doesn't accomplish anything (like it does on Unix) other than confusing
>> the user. If it's not too much work.
>>

> The problem with Appdata is that it's a hidden folder.  Are we storing
> files here that we expect the user to be able to get to easitly and
> edit often?  It may still be the best option, but I thought I would
> rasise that point.  The other option is to put most of this data into
> the registrty.
>
> BTW I have a few folders like %USERPROVILE%\.Application from windows
> ports of Unix apps like the GIMP.

It's not hidden on my XP-Pro box.

cheers

andrew

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> If we want to "play nice" in the windows world, we should definitly
> >> *not* put things directly in %USERPROFILE%. And if we're ever going to
> >> change it, now is the time. I would like to see all these files moved
> >> into <appdatadir>\PostgreSQL\
> >> or %USERPROFILE%\PostgreSQL\ (Appdata is obviously the nicest). We
> >> might want to consider removing the leading-dot on those files too -
> >> some Widnows tools go nuts on that. (most don't, but some do). And it
> >> doesn't accomplish anything (like it does on Unix) other than confusing
> >> the user. If it's not too much work.
> >>

> > The problem with Appdata is that it's a hidden folder.  Are we storing
> > files here that we expect the user to be able to get to easitly and
> > edit often?  It may still be the best option, but I thought I would
> > rasise that point.  The other option is to put most of this data into
> > the registrty.
> >
> > BTW I have a few folders like %USERPROVILE%\.Application from windows
> > ports of Unix apps like the GIMP.
>
> It's not hidden on my XP-Pro box.

OK, I can't believe I know the answer to this, but if you display your
%USERPROFILE directory using the standard XP directory viewer, and under
Tools/Folder_Options, choose "View" then look at the "Hidden Files and
Folders" option.  I bet you will see "Show hidden files and folders"
enabled, but by default that radio button is disabled.

So, buy default "Application Data" is invisible in that application,
though you have enabled it, probably because you know what you are doing
and need to get to certain configuration files.

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From
Andrew Dunstan

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>The problem with Appdata is that it's a hidden folder.  Are we storing
>>>files here that we expect the user to be able to get to easitly and
>>>edit often?  It may still be the best option, but I thought I would
>>>rasise that point.  The other option is to put most of this data into
>>>the registrty.
>>>
>>>BTW I have a few folders like %USERPROVILE%\.Application from windows
>>>ports of Unix apps like the GIMP.
>>>

>>It's not hidden on my XP-Pro box.
>>

>OK, I can't believe I know the answer to this, but if you display your
>%USERPROFILE directory using the standard XP directory viewer, and under
>Tools/Folder_Options, choose "View" then look at the "Hidden Files and
>Folders" option.  I bet you will see "Show hidden files and folders"
>enabled, but by default that radio button is disabled.
>
>So, buy default "Application Data" is invisible in that application,
>though you have enabled it, probably because you know what you are doing
>and need to get to certain configuration files.

Bzzzt. The hidden attribute is not set on the directory. Has nothing to
do with my explorer settings. When I turn that setting off I can still
see the folder.

cheers

andrew

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >OK, I can't believe I know the answer to this, but if you display your
> >%USERPROFILE directory using the standard XP directory viewer, and under
> >Tools/Folder_Options, choose "View" then look at the "Hidden Files and
> >Folders" option.  I bet you will see "Show hidden files and folders"
> >enabled, but by default that radio button is disabled.
> >
> >So, buy default "Application Data" is invisible in that application,
> >though you have enabled it, probably because you know what you are doing
> >and need to get to certain configuration files.
> >

> Bzzzt. The hidden attribute is not set on the directory. Has nothing to
> do with my explorer settings. When I turn that setting off I can still
> see the folder.

Well, on my XP Pro system when I turn off that radio button the
"Application Data" directory disappears.  I wonder if you have it set
higher up and have it set to 'include subdirectories'.

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From
Andrew Dunstan

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>>OK, I can't believe I know the answer to this, but if you display your
>>>%USERPROFILE directory using the standard XP directory viewer, and under
>>>Tools/Folder_Options, choose "View" then look at the "Hidden Files and
>>>Folders" option.  I bet you will see "Show hidden files and folders"
>>>enabled, but by default that radio button is disabled.
>>>
>>>So, buy default "Application Data" is invisible in that application,
>>>though you have enabled it, probably because you know what you are doing
>>>and need to get to certain configuration files.
>>>

>>Bzzzt. The hidden attribute is not set on the directory. Has nothing to
>>do with my explorer settings. When I turn that setting off I can still
>>see the folder.
>>

>Well, on my XP Pro system when I turn off that radio button the
>"Application Data" directory disappears.  I wonder if you have it set
>higher up and have it set to 'include subdirectories'.

I tried it with a new account - same result.

I didn't set the box up - maybe my colleague who did tweaked something
that turns off the hidden attribute. It's definitely off, though, and
that is not something that is affected by explorer settinsg AFAIK.

cheers

andrew

Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >Well, on my XP Pro system when I turn off that radio button the
> >"Application Data" directory disappears.  I wonder if you have it set
> >higher up and have it set to 'include subdirectories'.
> >

> I tried it with a new account - same result.
>
> I didn't set the box up - maybe my colleague who did tweaked something
> that turns off the hidden attribute. It's definitely off, though, and
> that is not something that is affected by explorer settinsg AFAIK.

Here is a Google discussion of the issue:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize/browse_frm/thread/72c47ff276dac5/f0f9fd08c737f1f6?q=%22application+data%22+hidden+xp&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fhl%3Den%26num%3D30%26c2coff%3D1%26q%3D%22application+data%22+hidden+xp%26qt_s%3DSearch+Groups%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#f0f9fd08c737f1f6