postgres win32 in FAT32

From
Albi Rebmann
Date:
Hi,

is it possible to install postgres win version on fat32?
On 8.0 beta2 it told me I can only install it on ntfs. Thats fine for a
server and no problem. But to give it to normal users it is bad. Cause
many will have fat32 and not be able to change partition to ntfs.
Any help and info is welcome.

ALBI...

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to install postgres win version on fat32?
> On 8.0 beta2 it told me I can only install it on ntfs. Thats
> fine for a server and no problem. But to give it to normal
> users it is bad. Cause many will have fat32 and not be able
> to change partition to ntfs.
> Any help and info is welcome.

You can do it, though you are strongly advised not to do it. Features
like tablespace will not work on FAT, and data integrity cannot be
guaranteed in case of a crash.

The installer will not let you initdb on it. You can, however, install
without initdb:ing and then run initdb manually. Or you can install from
source. IIRC.

//Magnus

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
Andrew Dunstan

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>is it possible to install postgres win version on fat32?
>>On 8.0 beta2 it told me I can only install it on ntfs. Thats
>>fine for a server and no problem. But to give it to normal
>>users it is bad. Cause many will have fat32 and not be able
>>to change partition to ntfs.
>>Any help and info is welcome.
>>

>You can do it, though you are strongly advised not to do it. Features
>like tablespace will not work on FAT, and data integrity cannot be
>guaranteed in case of a crash.
>
>The installer will not let you initdb on it. You can, however, install
>without initdb:ing and then run initdb manually. Or you can install from
>source. IIRC.

Also, AFAIK every windows system we support has NTFS. We don't at all
support the older "consumer" systems that were FAT or FAT32 only, like
W95, W98 and WMe, nor do we support NT < 4/SP3 IIRC.

cheers

andrew

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
Chester Kustarz
Date:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Also, AFAIK every windows system we support has NTFS. We don't at all
> support the older "consumer" systems that were FAT or FAT32 only, like
> W95, W98 and WMe, nor do we support NT < 4/SP3 IIRC.

Sometimes the systems could have been upgraded from previous O.S.
and retained the FAT32 filesystem. Other possibilities are secondary
storage (like firewire drives) that may have been formatted non-NTFS.

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
"Mooshii"
Hello everyone:

My $0.02: Don't bother supporting FAT at all.
I believe anywone who wants to install PostgreSQL on NT5+ would either have
an NTFS partition, or be able to create/convert one easily.

From
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.ms
px:
(first page on google for "convert fat ntfs")
> Converting to NTFS Using Convert.exe
>
> A partition can also be converted after Setup by using Convert.exe.
> For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click
> Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command
> window, type help convert, and then press ENTER.

Christian Holteng.

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
Albi Rebmann
Date:
Hi,

I do not agree to this :-)

We like to give away some software on CD and for that we like to use
some db, postgres would be fine. We know that it will only run on w2k
and XP (and that is ok), but many home user installations still have
FAT32 partitions. Everthing runs on FAT32, but postgres not. And for
shure most home users will not know how to convert fat32 to ntfs nor do
that, cause they see no reason.
And I'm surprised that some functions will not work in postgres on
fat32. What is the reason?
I know fat32 is less security and on real servers I will always use
ntfs, but for this cd software I can not say, yuo must use ntfs :-(

ALBI...

Mooshii schrieb:
> Hello everyone:
>
> My $0.02: Don't bother supporting FAT at all.
> I believe anywone who wants to install PostgreSQL on NT5+ would either have
> an NTFS partition, or be able to create/convert one easily.
>
> From
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.ms
> px:
> (first page on google for "convert fat ntfs")
>
>>Converting to NTFS Using Convert.exe
>>
>>A partition can also be converted after Setup by using Convert.exe.
>>For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click
>>Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command
>>window, type help convert, and then press ENTER.
>

> Christian Holteng.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>We like to give away some software on CD and for that we like to use
>some db, postgres would be fine. We know that it will only run on w2k
>and XP (and that is ok), but many home user installations still have
>FAT32 partitions. Everthing runs on FAT32, but postgres not. And for
>shure most home users will not know how to convert fat32 to
>ntfs nor do
>that, cause they see no reason.
>And I'm surprised that some functions will not work in postgres on
>fat32. What is the reason?
>I know fat32 is less security and on real servers I will always use
>ntfs, but for this cd software I can not say, yuo must use ntfs :-(

Specifically, FAT32 does not support Directory Junctions, which means
tablespaces don't work. That's the only filesystem specific function
that is used directly. (security and reliability are of course used
indirectly)

That said, you *can* run pg on FAT32, it's just not recommended. The
installer won't let you. But if you install just the files (you can do
this from the installer, just don't enable service or initdb) and run it
manually, it should work.

Beware that no testing is done on FAT. And don't expect your data to be
around if the machine crashes. Right now I think only tablespaces won't
work, but if other features don't work, don't expect anybody to put down
a lot of effort to make a workaround for FAT.

//Magnus

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Date:
Hi,

On Sunday 17 October 2004 18:37, you wrote:
> >We like to give away some software on CD and for that we like to use
> >some db, postgres would be fine. We know that it will only run on w2k
> >and XP (and that is ok), but many home user installations still have
> >FAT32 partitions. Everthing runs on FAT32, but postgres not. And for
> >shure most home users will not know how to convert fat32 to
> >ntfs nor do
> >that, cause they see no reason.
> >And I'm surprised that some functions will not work in postgres on
> >fat32. What is the reason?
> >I know fat32 is less security and on real servers I will always use
> >ntfs, but for this cd software I can not say, yuo must use ntfs :-(
>
> Specifically, FAT32 does not support Directory Junctions, which means
> tablespaces don't work. That's the only filesystem specific function
> that is used directly. (security and reliability are of course used
> indirectly)
>
> That said, you *can* run pg on FAT32, it's just not recommended. The
> installer won't let you. But if you install just the files (you can do
> this from the installer, just don't enable service or initdb) and run it
> manually, it should work.
>
> Beware that no testing is done on FAT. And don't expect your data to be
> around if the machine crashes. Right now I think only tablespaces won't
> work, but if other features don't work, don't expect anybody to put down
> a lot of effort to make a workaround for FAT.
>
> //Magnus

OK, we understand that part of FAT32 not being reliable enough - but shouldn't
that choice being made by the admin, not the installer? The rationale is
clear, but sometimes people just have to use FAT32 (like in the cited case on
top of this message), and can't do anything about it. An installer which
works, but refuses to initdb is, er, not helpful.
This whole 'FAT32 is bad, so we refuse it' issue seems like going too far -
the admin is responsible for making sure the system is reliable enough.
Nobody would place mission critical data on FAT32 anyway, if he's aware. If
not, the data is not mission critical or someone would have taught this
person or shot him. Please, don't treat PostgreSQL users like children - most
of them know what they're doing, even on WIN32!
If the data is not so critical, then refusing to initdb is a burden on those
people who want to use PG in their applications or _demos_ of applications,
beacuse installation gets hard to the point of being unuseable by the end
user.
It's a bit like the 'psql can't be run by Administrator issue', but this is
already covered nicely by the installer creating the service account. Can't
the FAT issue be dealt with similarly? Just pop up a warning dialog, saying
something like

Placing database data files on a FAT file system is not recommended because of
possible data corruption. If possible, convert this filesystem to NTFS or use
another drive. Conversion can be done using convert. Please look up convert
in the windows help.

This would have the additional benefit of making users aware.

Greetings,
 Jörg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com

Re: postgres win32 in FAT32

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > Specifically, FAT32 does not support Directory Junctions,
> which means
> > tablespaces don't work. That's the only filesystem specific
> function
> > that is used directly. (security and reliability are of course used
> > indirectly)
> >
> > That said, you *can* run pg on FAT32, it's just not
> recommended. The
> > installer won't let you. But if you install just the files
> (you can do
> > this from the installer, just don't enable service or
> initdb) and run
> > it manually, it should work.
> >
> > Beware that no testing is done on FAT. And don't expect
> your data to
> > be around if the machine crashes. Right now I think only
> tablespaces
> > won't work, but if other features don't work, don't expect
> anybody to
> > put down a lot of effort to make a workaround for FAT.
> >
> > //Magnus
>
> OK, we understand that part of FAT32 not being reliable
> enough - but shouldn't that choice being made by the admin,
> not the installer? The rationale is clear, but sometimes
> people just have to use FAT32 (like in the cited case on top
> of this message), and can't do anything about it. An
> installer which works, but refuses to initdb is, er, not helpful.
> This whole 'FAT32 is bad, so we refuse it' issue seems like
> going too far - the admin is responsible for making sure the
> system is reliable enough.

There are other reasons for the installer not to do it as well. The
installer sets permissions and does several verifications on the
selected directories. All these operations fail miserably on FAT.
Workarounds could certainly be made, but it's not something that'll be
done until all other parts are finished.

> It's a bit like the 'psql can't be run by Administrator
> issue', but this is already covered nicely by the installer
> creating the service account. Can't the FAT issue be dealt
> with similarly?

To do that similarly, that would mean automatically converting the
filesystem. I doubt that's a good idea.

> Just pop up a warning dialog, saying something like
>
> Placing database data files on a FAT file system is not
> recommended because of possible data corruption. If possible,
> convert this filesystem to NTFS or use another drive.
> Conversion can be done using convert. Please look up convert
> in the windows help.
>
> This would have the additional benefit of making users aware.

Something like this would be how to put in the workaround eventually,
yes.

//Magnus