[GENERAL] Is pgbouncer still maintained?

From
Steven Winfield

Hi all,

I hope I’m posting this in the correct place.

We use pgbouncer, as I’m sure many other people do, but we are becoming increasingly worried by the lack of a new release since February 2016 and a slowdown in development activity on the master branch.

https://github.com/pgbouncer/pgbouncer

Issues and pull requests are mounting up in the tracker, often going unacknowledged - including a requests for a new release.

We would very much like to see SCRAM support added (for which there is a pull request https://github.com/pgbouncer/pgbouncer/pull/227), and have the unrestricted ability to set per-user connection limits (https://github.com/pgbouncer/pgbouncer/pull/204), as well as pick up any bug fixes since the last official release.

We are, however, wary about just using the head of the master branch, or pulling from a fork, as companies offering Postgres support to clients will not cover these unofficial releases.

As much as we love pgbouncer, I don’t see how the current situation can continue. I mean no disrespect to the authors - it is a great tool, and I understand that priorities and time constraints vary over time, but given the number of outstanding pull requests it does seem like there might exist a willing group of developers who could continue pgbouncer’s maintenance and development, so perhaps some more of them should be allowed full access to the master repository.  I don’t know exactly how that can be done without the risk of compromising the quality of code that makes it into the master branch in future, but I thought I’d suggest this to stimulate some discussion.

I certainly wouldn’t like to see the beginnings of a competing fork.

Any thoughts, comments, (constructive) criticisms?

Best,

Steve.

Re: [GENERAL] Is pgbouncer still maintained?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date: