[HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

I wrote a special pager for psql. Surely, this pager is not good for paging of man pages. So is not good to set it as global pager. We can introduce new env variable PSQL_PAGER for this purpose. It can work similar like PSQL_EDITOR variable.

Notes, comments?

Regards

Pavel

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Julien Rouhaud
Date:
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wrote a special pager for psql. Surely, this pager is not good for paging
> of man pages. So is not good to set it as global pager. We can introduce new
> env variable PSQL_PAGER for this purpose. It can work similar like
> PSQL_EDITOR variable.

+1.  I used to have a psql alias just for this, so it'd definitely be useful.

ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Date:

> Hi
>
> I wrote a special pager for psql. Surely, this pager is not good for paging
> of man pages. So is not good to set it as global pager. We can introduce
> new env variable PSQL_PAGER for this purpose. It can work similar like
> PSQL_EDITOR variable.
>
> Notes, comments?

There's already the option to put '\setenv PAGER ...' in .psqlrc, but I
guess having it work like EDITOR makes sense for consistency, as well as
not affecting commands spawned from psql via e.g. \!.

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live withthe consequences of."

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

> Hi
>
> I wrote a special pager for psql. Surely, this pager is not good for paging
> of man pages. So is not good to set it as global pager. We can introduce
> new env variable PSQL_PAGER for this purpose. It can work similar like
> PSQL_EDITOR variable.
>
> Notes, comments?

There's already the option to put '\setenv PAGER ...' in .psqlrc, but I
guess having it work like EDITOR makes sense for consistency, as well as
not affecting commands spawned from psql via e.g. \!.

here is a patch - it is trivial

Regards

Pavel

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with
 the consequences of."                              -- Skud's Meta-Law

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> here is a patch - it is trivial

The feature makes sense, follows an existing example (PSQL_EDITOR),
and works nicely.
      is platform-dependent.  Use of the pager can be disabled by setting      <envar>PAGER</envar> to empty, or by
usingpager-related options of

Maybe this should now say "... can be disabled by specifying an empty
string", since "... by setting PAGER to empty" isn't quite the full
story.

-      the <command>\pset</command> command.
+      the <command>\pset</command> command. These variables are examined
+      in the order listed; the first that is set is used.     </para>
+

Stray blank line.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> here is a patch - it is trivial

The feature makes sense, follows an existing example (PSQL_EDITOR),
and works nicely.

       is platform-dependent.  Use of the pager can be disabled by setting
       <envar>PAGER</envar> to empty, or by using pager-related options of

Maybe this should now say "... can be disabled by specifying an empty
string", since "... by setting PAGER to empty" isn't quite the full
story.

-      the <command>\pset</command> command.
+      the <command>\pset</command> command. These variables are examined
+      in the order listed; the first that is set is used.
      </para>
+

Stray blank line.

I am not sure if I see last issue well. Sending updated patch

Regards

Pavel

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Date:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stray blank line.
>
> I am not sure if I see last issue well.

I meant this:
     </para>
+    </listitem>

... but it doesn't really matter.

>  Sending updated patch

Thanks, looks good.  New status: ready for committer.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Pavel Stehule

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stray blank line.
>
> I am not sure if I see last issue well.

I meant this:

      </para>
+
     </listitem>

... but it doesn't really matter.

>  Sending updated patch

Thanks, looks good.  New status: ready for committer.

Thank you

Date:
> [ psql-psql-pager-env-2.patch ]

Pushed, with some fooling with the documentation (notably,
re-alphabetizing relevant lists).

Grepping turned up an additional place that's examining the PAGER
environment variable, namely PQprint() in libpq/fe-print.c.  That's
not used by psql (or anything else in core PG) anymore; we're only
keeping it around for hypothetical external users of libpq.  I debated
whether to make it honor PSQL_PAGER.  I decided not to, since those
external users are by definition not psql ... but I added
a comment about that.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Pavel Stehule

> [ psql-psql-pager-env-2.patch ]

Pushed, with some fooling with the documentation (notably,
re-alphabetizing relevant lists).

Grepping turned up an additional place that's examining the PAGER
environment variable, namely PQprint() in libpq/fe-print.c.  That's
not used by psql (or anything else in core PG) anymore; we're only
keeping it around for hypothetical external users of libpq.  I debated
whether to make it honor PSQL_PAGER.  I decided not to, since those
external users are by definition not psql ... but I added
a comment about that.

Thank you very much

Pavel

                        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 4:12 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Pushed, with some fooling with the documentation (notably,
>> re-alphabetizing relevant lists).
>>
> Thank you very much

I've started setting PSQL_PAGER="~/bin/pspg -s0" to try your new
column-aware pager from https://github.com/okbob/pspg for my regular
work.  Wow!  It could use some warning clean-up but it's a clever idea
and so far it works really well.  Thanks for making this.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From
Pavel Stehule

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 4:12 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Pushed, with some fooling with the documentation (notably,
>> re-alphabetizing relevant lists).
>>
> Thank you very much

I've started setting PSQL_PAGER="~/bin/pspg -s0" to try your new
column-aware pager from https://github.com/okbob/pspg for my regular
work.  Wow!  It could use some warning clean-up but it's a clever idea
and so far it works really well.  Thanks for making this.

:) Thank you. It is really fresh project - I started it three months ago, so probably there are lot of issues. It is +/- little bit cleaned and enhanced prototype. But I hope - it is used together with psql very well.

Yesterday I cleaned all warnings and I prepared autoconf and rpmbuild. I have a plan to release it next week.

Regards

Pavel