Hello All-

dev01 is a company that is profiled in some Microsoft materials as
they recently implemented SQL-Server 2017 on Linux.  According to some
materials on their site, they switched from Postgres/Redshift to
SQL-Server and saw immediate performance improvements.  Of course,
it's short on details...

https://www.dv01.co/dv01s-technology-featured-by-microsoft-at-data-amp-event-profiled-in-case-study/

On 07/19/2017 10:50 AM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> dev01 is a company that is profiled in some Microsoft materials as
> they recently implemented SQL-Server 2017 on Linux.  According to some
> materials on their site, they switched from Postgres/Redshift to
> SQL-Server and saw immediate performance improvements.  Of course,
> it's short on details...
>
> https://www.dv01.co/dv01s-technology-featured-by-microsoft-at-data-amp-event-profiled-in-case-study/

Well, presumably if they hadn't seen performance improvements, they
wouldn't have switched.  Survivor bias and all that.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 07/19/2017 10:50 AM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> > Hello All-
> >
> > dev01 is a company that is profiled in some Microsoft materials as
> > they recently implemented SQL-Server 2017 on Linux.  According to some
> > materials on their site, they switched from Postgres/Redshift to
> > SQL-Server and saw immediate performance improvements.  Of course,
> > it's short on details...
> >
> > https://www.dv01.co/dv01s-technology-featured-by-microsoft-at-data-amp-event-profiled-in-case-study/
>
> Well, presumably if they hadn't seen performance improvements, they
> wouldn't have switched.  Survivor bias and all that.

Their app frontend (40.79.47.136) seems to be hosted on Azure.

Looking at this

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/17/how-microsoft-brought-sql-server-to-linux/

they barely got their "platform abstraction" thing working. I've seen the Platform
Abstraction Layer of .NET Core (the small, multiplatform .NET engine) and it's
a hack. Everything is bent to match 1990-era Win32 APIs.

Anyone to ask them directly? I think this should be explained quickly.

Marcin Cieślak

Attachment
On 2017-07-19 21:24, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 07/19/2017 10:50 AM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
>> Hello All-
>>
>> dev01 is a company that is profiled in some Microsoft materials as
>> they recently implemented SQL-Server 2017 on Linux.  According to some
>> materials on their site, they switched from Postgres/Redshift to
>> SQL-Server and saw immediate performance improvements.  Of course,
>> it's short on details...
>>
>> https://www.dv01.co/dv01s-technology-featured-by-microsoft-at-data-amp-event-profiled-in-case-study/
>
> Well, presumably if they hadn't seen performance improvements, they
> wouldn't have switched.  Survivor bias and all that.
>

> --
> Josh Berkus
> Containers & Databases Oh My!

It sounds more like a microsoft project to prove SQL-Server can be used
on linux in production,
than an actual case study. Especially the bit about "an immense
reduction in database maintenance requirements".
SQL-Server requiring less maintenance than PostgreSQL? What where they
doing?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how their new setup holds out, maybe
we can learn something from it.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM, vinny <vinny@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> It sounds more like a microsoft project to prove SQL-Server can be used on
> linux in production,
> than an actual case study. Especially the bit about "an immense reduction in
> database maintenance requirements".
> SQL-Server requiring less maintenance than PostgreSQL? What where they
> doing?
>
> Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how their new setup holds out, maybe we
> can learn something from it.

Without any actual numbers, facts and numbers, it is hard to make an
opinion about something. Especially, there is no way to know if
something wrong has been done with Postgres just by looking at this
post, particularly if there have been misconfigurations. So based only
on this information provided here this is just magic powder in the
eyes.
--
Michael

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM, vinny <vinny@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> It sounds more like a microsoft project to prove SQL-Server can be used on
> linux in production,
> than an actual case study. Especially the bit about "an immense reduction in
> database maintenance requirements".
> SQL-Server requiring less maintenance than PostgreSQL? What where they
> doing?
>
> Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how their new setup holds out, maybe we
> can learn something from it.

Without any actual numbers, facts and numbers, it is hard to make an
opinion about something. Especially, there is no way to know if
something wrong has been done with Postgres just by looking at this
post, particularly if there have been misconfigurations. So based only
on this information provided here this is just magic powder in the
eyes.

Additionally there are areas where I would expect SQL Server to in fact require less database maintenance and some areas where it is the clearly correct choice in a given environment.

However....  Unless you have a vast amount of in-house experience with both I seriously doubt that you will see a reduction in database administration load from switching even in those cases.  Now, if your database team are SQL Server gurus who were trying out PostgreSQL, then yeah I could imagine it.
--
Michael