Hi,

As I report in another thread[1], when the logical replication launcher
is terminated by SIGTERM, it never been restarted and we need to restart
the server to enable logical replication again.

This is because the logical replication launcher exits with exitstatus 0,
so if it exits with status 1 it is restarted by the postmaster normally.
Attached is a simple patch to fix it in this way.

However, I'm not sure this is the best way. For example, in this way,
we get the following log when the process is terminated, which we don't
get when it exits with status 0.

 LOG:  worker process: logical replication launcher (PID 11526) exited with exit code 1

If we don't want to get this message, we need more fixes in CleanupBackgroundWorker()
or around it.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170621205657.61d90605.nagata%40sraoss.co.jp

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp>

Re: [HACKERS] Logical replication launcher never been restarted whenterminated

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 6/21/17 13:03, Yugo Nagata wrote:
> As I report in another thread[1], when the logical replication launcher
> is terminated by SIGTERM, it never been restarted and we need to restart
> the server to enable logical replication again.
>
> This is because the logical replication launcher exits with exitstatus 0,
> so if it exits with status 1 it is restarted by the postmaster normally.
> Attached is a simple patch to fix it in this way.

Fixed, thanks!

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:17:20 -0400
Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 6/21/17 13:03, Yugo Nagata wrote:
> > As I report in another thread[1], when the logical replication launcher
> > is terminated by SIGTERM, it never been restarted and we need to restart
> > the server to enable logical replication again.
> >
> > This is because the logical replication launcher exits with exitstatus 0,
> > so if it exits with status 1 it is restarted by the postmaster normally.
> > Attached is a simple patch to fix it in this way.
>
> Fixed, thanks!

Thanks!