[NOVICE] NOVICE log on

From
Mike Rowan
Date:
A very very basic question...

Is there, in PostgreSQL 9.1 preferably, a log of logon attempts and the reason for failure, if any.

I have a situation whereby i attempt to log on to the same database from a single client machine using the seemingly same settings but from two client front ends.  One fails, one succeeds.   Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mike

Re: [NOVICE] NOVICE log on

Date:
Mike Rowan <michael.rowan3@gmail.com> writes:
> A very very basic question...
> Is there, in PostgreSQL 9.1 preferably, a log of logon attempts and the
> reason for failure, if any.

Look into the postmaster log file.  If you're not sure where that is,
checking the settings described in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/runtime-config-logging.html
should help.

You might care to enable log_connections to help debug your problem,
but I believe connection rejections would be logged in any case.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [NOVICE] NOVICE log on

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
Is there, in PostgreSQL 9.1 preferably, a log of logon attempts and the reason for failure, if any.

I have a situation whereby i attempt to log on to the same database from a single client machine using the seemingly same settings but from two client front ends.  One fails, one succeeds.   Any advice would be much appreciated.

Location varies but there is a server log file.

Logging setups are generally described here:

David J.