[DOCS] "Comparison of Different Solutions"

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Please forgive me if this has been already discussed.

In "26.1 Comparison of Different Solutions", nothing is mentioned with
logical replication. I think the section is the biggest picture for
all high availability, load Balancing, and replication solutions in
the docs, so commenting on the logical replication here would give
users cleaner image of PostgreSQL replication solutions.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: [DOCS] "Comparison of Different Solutions"

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On 31 May 2017 at 03:40, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> In "26.1 Comparison of Different Solutions", nothing is mentioned with
> logical replication. I think the section is the biggest picture for
> all high availability, load Balancing, and replication solutions in
> the docs

actually i wonder why Logical Replication is chapter 31 instead of
being in this same chapter

--
Jaime Casanova                      www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [DOCS] "Comparison of Different Solutions"

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jaime Casanova <jaime.casanova@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 31 May 2017 at 03:40, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> In "26.1 Comparison of Different Solutions", nothing is mentioned with
> logical replication. I think the section is the biggest picture for
> all high availability, load Balancing, and replication solutions in
> the docs

actually i wonder why Logical Replication is chapter 31 instead of
being in this same chapter

​The original complaint has been addressed with a blurb and a cross-reference.

As for keeping separate the new logical replication docs from the long-standing physical replication docs​ I don't see any particular problem.  My understanding is that the former is whole-database and serves more of an administrative capability (backups, high-availability) for the server, while the later, despite having to be configured by the server admin, plays more of an application role.

David J.