[HACKERS] Index Only Scan support for cube

From
Andrew Borodin
Date:
Hi, hackers!

Here's a small patch that implements fetch function necessary for
Index Only Scans that use cube data type.
I reuse function g_cube_decompress() instead of creating new function
g_cube_fetch().
Essentially, they both have to detoast data.

How do you think, is it better to create a shallow copy of
g_cube_decompress instead?
Any other suggestions on the functionality?

This

CREATE TABLE SOMECUBES AS SELECT CUBE(X,X+1) C FROM GENERATE_SERIES(1,100) X;
CREATE INDEX SOMECUBES_IDX ON SOMECUBES USING GIST(C);
SET ENABLE_SEQSCAN = FALSE;
EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF ) SELECT C FROM SOMECUBES WHERE C<@CUBE(30,40);

now produces

Index Only Scan using somecubes_idx on somecubes
  Index Cond: (c <@ '(30),(40)'::cube)

instead of

Index Scan using somecubes_idx on somecubes
  Index Cond: (c <@ '(30),(40)'::cube)

Best regards, Andrey Borodin, Octonica.

Re: [HACKERS] Index Only Scan support for cube

From
Andrey Borodin
Date:
Hi hackers!
> 23 мая 2017 г., в 14:53, Andrew Borodin <borodin@octonica.com> написал(а):
>
> Here's a small patch that implements fetch function necessary for
> Index Only Scans that use cube data type.

Tom Lane have just commited d3a4f89 (Allow no-op GiST support functions to be omitted) Thanks, Tom! : )
"Index Only Scan support for cube" patch now is obsolete. I'm working on another similar patch for contribs to support
GiSTIOS and remove no-op support functions.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Re: [HACKERS] Index Only Scan support for cube

From
Alexander Korotkov
Date:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
Hi hackers!
> 23 мая 2017 г., в 14:53, Andrew Borodin <borodin@octonica.com> написал(а):
>
> Here's a small patch that implements fetch function necessary for
> Index Only Scans that use cube data type.

Tom Lane have just commited d3a4f89 (Allow no-op GiST support functions to be omitted) Thanks, Tom! : )
"Index Only Scan support for cube" patch now is obsolete. I'm working on another similar patch for contribs to support GiST IOS and remove no-op support functions.

Good.
BTW, some strangeness of g_cube_decompress() catch my eye.  It compares results of two evaluations of same expression DatumGetNDBOXP(entry->key).

NDBOX   *key = DatumGetNDBOXP(entry->key);
if (key != DatumGetNDBOXP(entry->key))

In fact it's correct, because it compares results of two detoasting.  If datum isn't toasted then results would be the same.  And if data is toasted then results would be two different allocation of detoasted datum.  However, we do extra detoasting here.

For example, see gbt_var_decompress().  There is no extra detoasting here.

GBT_VARKEY *key = (GBT_VARKEY *) PG_DETOAST_DATUM(entry->key);
if (key != (GBT_VARKEY *) DatumGetPointer(entry->key))

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company