[HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

From
Haribabu Kommi

Here I attached a small patch that adds the build support for
visual studio 2017.

The tools version number is still 14.X, irrespective of VS 2017
version of 15.0. I modified the versions accordingly.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia
Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

From
"Ideriha, Takeshi"

Hi

I’ve noticed src/tools/msvc/README also needs some fix together with your patch.

README discription haven’t updated since VS 2012.

Regards

Ideriha, Takeshi

Here I attached a small patch that adds the build support for

visual studio 2017.

The tools version number is still 14.X, irrespective of VS 2017

version of 15.0. I modified the versions accordingly.

Regards,

Hari Babu

Fujitsu Australia

Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

From
Haribabu Kommi

I’ve noticed src/tools/msvc/README also needs some fix together with your patch.

README discription haven’t updated since VS 2012.

Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with README update.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia
Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

From
Christian Ullrich
Date:
* On 2017-06-21 02:06, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with README update.

Hello,

the most recent update to VS 2017, version 15.3, now identifies as
"14.11" rather than "14.10" in the output of nmake /?. Simply adding
this value to the two places that check for 14.10 in your patch appears
to work for me.

In a newly created project, PlatformToolset is still "v141".
ToolsVersion is "15.0" whereas your patch uses "14.1".

ISTM that the ToolsVersion has been like this in all versions of VS
2017; in my collection of .vcxproj files the auto-generated PostgreSQL
projects are the only ones using "14.1".

The build is successful with either value.

I think there was some discussion on this topic, but I cannot find it in
the archives. If there was, I certainly don't want to reopen any
discussions.

All the best,

--
Christian

Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

From
Haribabu Kommi

Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with README update.

Hello,

Thanks for the review.

the most recent update to VS 2017, version 15.3, now identifies as "14.11" rather than "14.10" in the output of nmake /?. Simply adding this value to the two places that check for 14.10 in your patch appears to work for me.

VS 2017 doesn't change the nmake version to 15, and it is updating with every minor version, so I changed the check to accept
everything that is greater than 14.10 and eq 15, in case in future if VS 2017 changes the version number.

In a newly created project, PlatformToolset is still "v141". ToolsVersion is "15.0" whereas your patch uses "14.1".

ISTM that the ToolsVersion has been like this in all versions of VS 2017; in my collection of .vcxproj files the auto-generated PostgreSQL projects are the only ones using "14.1".

Updated the Tools version to 15.0 and kept the platform toolset as V141, this because the toolset is version is still points
to V141, when I create a sample project with VS 2017 and the version number is inline with nmake version also.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia
Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 08/25/2017 11:29 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Christian Ullrich
> <chris@chrullrich.net <mailto:chris@chrullrich.net>> wrote:
>
>     * On 2017-06-21 02:06, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>
>         Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with
>         README update.
>

>     Hello,
>

> Thanks for the review.
>

>     the most recent update to VS 2017, version 15.3, now identifies as
>     "14.11" rather than "14.10" in the output of nmake /?. Simply
>     adding this value to the two places that check for 14.10 in your
>     patch appears to work for me.
>

> VS 2017 doesn't change the nmake version to 15, and it is updating
> with every minor version, so I changed the check to accept
> everything that is greater than 14.10 and eq 15, in case in future if
> VS 2017 changes the version number.
>

>     In a newly created project, PlatformToolset is still "v141".
>     ToolsVersion is "15.0" whereas your patch uses "14.1".
>
>     ISTM that the ToolsVersion has been like this in all versions of
>     VS 2017; in my collection of .vcxproj files the auto-generated
>     PostgreSQL projects are the only ones using "14.1".
>

> Updated the Tools version to 15.0 and kept the platform toolset as
> V141, this because the toolset is version is still points
> to V141, when I create a sample project with VS 2017 and the version
> number is inline with nmake version also.

I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I noticed this:
   +   Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname> is   supported   +   down to <productname>Windows 7
SP1</>and <productname>Windows   Server 2012 R2</>.

I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
curious why we are saying it's not supported.

cheers

andrew

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 08/25/2017 11:29 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Christian Ullrich
> <chris@chrullrich.net <mailto:chris@chrullrich.net>> wrote:
>
>     * On 2017-06-21 02:06, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>
>         Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with
>         README update.
>

>     Hello,
>

> Thanks for the review.
>

>     the most recent update to VS 2017, version 15.3, now identifies as
>     "14.11" rather than "14.10" in the output of nmake /?. Simply
>     adding this value to the two places that check for 14.10 in your
>     patch appears to work for me.
>

> VS 2017 doesn't change the nmake version to 15, and it is updating
> with every minor version, so I changed the check to accept
> everything that is greater than 14.10 and eq 15, in case in future if
> VS 2017 changes the version number.
>

>     In a newly created project, PlatformToolset is still "v141".
>     ToolsVersion is "15.0" whereas your patch uses "14.1".
>
>     ISTM that the ToolsVersion has been like this in all versions of
>     VS 2017; in my collection of .vcxproj files the auto-generated
>     PostgreSQL projects are the only ones using "14.1".
>

> Updated the Tools version to 15.0 and kept the platform toolset as
> V141, this because the toolset is version is still points
> to V141, when I create a sample project with VS 2017 and the version
> number is inline with nmake version also.

I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I noticed this:

    +   Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname> is
    supported
    +   down to <productname>Windows 7 SP1</> and <productname>Windows
    Server 2012 R2</>.

I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
curious why we are saying it's not supported.

Thanks for the review.

From the visual studio system requirements [1], in the section of supported
operating systems, it is mentioned as windows 7 SP1 and windows server
2012 R2 and didn't mentioned anything about 2008, because of this reason,
I mentioned as that it supported till the above operating systems. As I don't
have windows server 2008 system availability, so I didn't verify the same.

The visual studio 2017 product itself is not mentioned as that it supports
windows server 2008, can we go ahead and mention it in our documentation?

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

On 09/21/2017 08:16 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

>     I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I
>     noticed this:
>
>         +   Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname> is
>         supported
>         +   down to <productname>Windows 7 SP1</> and <productname>Windows
>         Server 2012 R2</>.
>
>     I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
>     curious why we are saying it's not supported.
>

> Thanks for the review.
>
> From the visual studio system requirements [1], in the section of
> supported
> operating systems, it is mentioned as windows 7 SP1 and windows server
> 2012 R2 and didn't mentioned anything about 2008, because of this reason,
> I mentioned as that it supported till the above operating systems. As
> I don't
> have windows server 2008 system availability, so I didn't verify the same.
>
> The visual studio 2017 product itself is not mentioned as that it supports
> windows server 2008, can we go ahead and mention it in our documentation?
>
> [1] -
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-system-requirements-vs

That page also says:

       Microsoft Visual Studio Build Tools 2017
   Also installs on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

So I'm inclined to adjust the documentation accordingly.

cheers

andrew

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 09/21/2017 08:16 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

>     I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I
>     noticed this:
>
>         +   Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname> is
>         supported
>         +   down to <productname>Windows 7 SP1</> and <productname>Windows
>         Server 2012 R2</>.
>
>     I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
>     curious why we are saying it's not supported.
>

> Thanks for the review.
>
> From the visual studio system requirements [1], in the section of
> supported
> operating systems, it is mentioned as windows 7 SP1 and windows server
> 2012 R2 and didn't mentioned anything about 2008, because of this reason,
> I mentioned as that it supported till the above operating systems. As
> I don't
> have windows server 2008 system availability, so I didn't verify the same.
>
> The visual studio 2017 product itself is not mentioned as that it supports
> windows server 2008, can we go ahead and mention it in our documentation?
>
> [1] -
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-system-requirements-vs

That page also says:

        Microsoft Visual Studio Build Tools 2017

    Also installs on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

So I'm inclined to adjust the documentation accordingly.

Thanks for pointing it out, I missed to check the Build tools support section.
Here I attached the updated patch with the change in documentation to
include the 2008 R2 SP1 operating system also.

On 09/25/2017 12:25 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> Thanks for pointing it out, I missed to check the Build tools support
> section.
> Here I attached the updated patch with the change in documentation to
> include the 2008 R2 SP1 operating system also.

Thanks, committed and backpatched to 9.6 It would be nice to get
buildfarm members going supporting  VS2015 and VS2017

cheers

andrew

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 09/25/2017 12:25 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> Thanks for pointing it out, I missed to check the Build tools support
> section.
> Here I attached the updated patch with the change in documentation to
> include the 2008 R2 SP1 operating system also.

Thanks, committed and backpatched to 9.6 It would be nice to get
buildfarm members going supporting  VS2015 and VS2017

Thanks.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia