[HACKERS] comments in hash_alloc_buckets

From
Ashutosh Sharma
Date:
Hi,

While working on - [1], I realised that the following comments in
_hash_alloc_buckets() needs to be corrected.

    /*
     * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
     * See _hash_freeovflpage for similar usage.
     */
    _hash_pageinit(page, BLCKSZ);

Attached is the patch that corrects above comment. Thanks.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU%3D1y6NjKmqbJ8wLMhr%3DF74WzcMALYWcVFhEpm7i%3DmV%3DXsOg%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma

Re: comments in hash_alloc_buckets

From
Amit Kapila
Date:
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While working on - [1], I realised that the following comments in
> _hash_alloc_buckets() needs to be corrected.
>
>     /*
>      * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
>      * See _hash_freeovflpage for similar usage.
>      */
>     _hash_pageinit(page, BLCKSZ);
>
> Attached is the patch that corrects above comment. Thanks.

- * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
+ * Initialize the last page in hash index.

I think saying ".. last page in hash index" sounds slightly awkward as
this is the last page for current split point, how about just
"Initialize the page. ..."

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Date:
>> While working on - [1], I realised that the following comments in
>> _hash_alloc_buckets() needs to be corrected.
>>
>>     /*
>>      * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
>>      * See _hash_freeovflpage for similar usage.
>>      */
>>     _hash_pageinit(page, BLCKSZ);
>>
>> Attached is the patch that corrects above comment. Thanks.
>>

> - * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
> + * Initialize the last page in hash index.
>
> I think saying ".. last page in hash index" sounds slightly awkward as
> this is the last page for current split point, how about just
> "Initialize the page. ..."

Yes, I mean just adding "Initialize the page. ..." looks more simple
and correct. Attached is the patch with similar comment.

Attachment

Re: comments in hash_alloc_buckets

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> While working on - [1], I realised that the following comments in
>>> _hash_alloc_buckets() needs to be corrected.
>>>
>>>     /*
>>>      * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
>>>      * See _hash_freeovflpage for similar usage.
>>>      */
>>>     _hash_pageinit(page, BLCKSZ);
>>>
>>> Attached is the patch that corrects above comment. Thanks.
>>>

>> - * Initialize the freed overflow page.  Just zeroing the page won't work,
>> + * Initialize the last page in hash index.
>>
>> I think saying ".. last page in hash index" sounds slightly awkward as
>> this is the last page for current split point, how about just
>> "Initialize the page. ..."
>
> Yes, I mean just adding "Initialize the page. ..." looks more simple
> and correct. Attached is the patch with similar comment.

Committed with a punctuation and formatting adjustment.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company