[HACKERS] use SQL standard error code for nextval

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
The SQL standard defines a separate error code for nextval exhausting
the sequence space.  I haven't found any discussion of this in the
archives, so it seems this was just not considered or not yet in
existence when the error codes were introduced.  Here is a patch to
correct it.

Re: [HACKERS] use SQL standard error code for nextval

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2/28/17 22:15, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The SQL standard defines a separate error code for nextval exhausting
> the sequence space.  I haven't found any discussion of this in the
> archives, so it seems this was just not considered or not yet in
> existence when the error codes were introduced.  Here is a patch to
> correct it.

committed

Re: [HACKERS] use SQL standard error code for nextval

From
Mark Dilger
Date:
> On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:59 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 2/28/17 22:15, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The SQL standard defines a separate error code for nextval exhausting
>> the sequence space.  I haven't found any discussion of this in the
>> archives, so it seems this was just not considered or not yet in
>> existence when the error codes were introduced.  Here is a patch to
>> correct it.
>
> committed

Perhaps you should add something to the release notes.  Somebody could be
testing for the old error code.

Mark Dilger

Date:
On 3/9/17 12:27, Mark Dilger wrote:
> Perhaps you should add something to the release notes.  Somebody could be
> testing for the old error code.

The release notes will be written when the release is prepared.

Re: [HACKERS] use SQL standard error code for nextval

Date:
Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:59 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 2/28/17 22:15, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> The SQL standard defines a separate error code for nextval exhausting
>>> the sequence space.  I haven't found any discussion of this in the
>>> archives, so it seems this was just not considered or not yet in
>>> existence when the error codes were introduced.  Here is a patch to
>>> correct it.

> Perhaps you should add something to the release notes.  Somebody could be
> testing for the old error code.

The release notes for v10 aren't going to be drafted for months yet.
When they are, hopefully the writer will notice that this should be
listed as an incompatible change.  That's not the responsibility
of this commit, although it would've been better if the commit log
entry explicitly pointed out that it's an incompatible change.
        regards, tom lane