[pgsql-www] Operating systems no longer supported in latest

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
On about/ we list SGI IRIX and Tru64 as operating systems PostgreSQL runs on
which while true, is a bit misleading since neither is supported in the latest
versions.  IRIX support was retired in 9.4 with ea91a6be89575 and Tru64 in 9.5
with a6d488cb538c8.

I propose linking the entries to the featurematrix platform group (as in
attached patch) and adding features for IRIX and Tru64 support for the
appropriate versions to clarify.

cheers ./daniel

Re: [pgsql-www] Operating systems no longer supported in latest

From
Magnus Hagander

On about/ we list SGI IRIX and Tru64 as operating systems PostgreSQL runs on
which while true, is a bit misleading since neither is supported in the latest
versions.  IRIX support was retired in 9.4 with ea91a6be89575 and Tru64 in 9.5
with a6d488cb538c8.

I propose linking the entries to the featurematrix platform group (as in
attached patch) and adding features for IRIX and Tru64 support for the
appropriate versions to clarify.

That doesn't work very well in combination with the fact that we by default hide the features with no differences -- there is nothing listed under platforms at all in the default view.

I also think it's kind of weird to link some OSes there but not others. I think it'd look better with a general list of the available platforms and then a separate sentence linking to the feature matrix for more details, or something like that?

--

Date:
> On 26 Feb 2017, at 16:13, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
> On about/ we list SGI IRIX and Tru64 as operating systems PostgreSQL runs on
> which while true, is a bit misleading since neither is supported in the latest
> versions.  IRIX support was retired in 9.4 with ea91a6be89575 and Tru64 in 9.5
> with a6d488cb538c8.
>
> I propose linking the entries to the featurematrix platform group (as in
> attached patch) and adding features for IRIX and Tru64 support for the
> appropriate versions to clarify.
>
> That doesn't work very well in combination with the fact that we by default hide the features with no differences --
thereis nothing listed under platforms at all in the default view.

Assuming the default shown set of versions are the ones currently supported (as
it is now), entries for IRIX and Tru64 would have changes and thus would be
shown.  Once either of these is no longer supported in a supported version, I
would expect us to drop it from the about/ page as well which handles the
problem of hiding features without differences.

> I also think it's kind of weird to link some OSes there but not others. I think it'd look better with a general list
ofthe available platforms and then a separate sentence linking to the feature matrix for more details, or something
likethat?

That sounds like a good variation on the above.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2017, at 16:13, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
> On about/ we list SGI IRIX and Tru64 as operating systems PostgreSQL runs on
> which while true, is a bit misleading since neither is supported in the latest
> versions.  IRIX support was retired in 9.4 with ea91a6be89575 and Tru64 in 9.5
> with a6d488cb538c8.
>
> I propose linking the entries to the featurematrix platform group (as in
> attached patch) and adding features for IRIX and Tru64 support for the
> appropriate versions to clarify.
>
> That doesn't work very well in combination with the fact that we by default hide the features with no differences -- there is nothing listed under platforms at all in the default view.

Assuming the default shown set of versions are the ones currently supported (as
it is now), entries for IRIX and Tru64 would have changes and thus would be
shown.  Once either of these is no longer supported in a supported version, I
would expect us to drop it from the about/ page as well which handles the
problem of hiding features without differences.

Ah, ok, fair enough. Didn't consider that unrelated change. As long as we do that, I do agree.

Date:

<mailto:daniel@yesql.se<mailto:daniel@yesql.se>>> wrote:
> > On about/ we list SGI IRIX and Tru64 as operating systems PostgreSQL runs on
> > which while true, is a bit misleading since neither is supported in the latest
> > versions.  IRIX support was retired in 9.4 with ea91a6be89575 and Tru64 in 9.5
> > with a6d488cb538c8.
> >
> > I propose linking the entries to the featurematrix platform group (as in
> > attached patch) and adding features for IRIX and Tru64 support for the
> > appropriate versions to clarify.
> >
> > That doesn't work very well in combination with the fact that we by default hide the features with no differences
--there is nothing listed under platforms at all in the default view.

> Assuming the default shown set of versions are the ones currently supported (as
> it is now), entries for IRIX and Tru64 would have changes and thus would be
> shown.  Once either of these is no longer supported in a supported version, I
> would expect us to drop it from the about/ page as well which handles the
> problem of hiding features without differences.
>
> Ah, ok, fair enough. Didn't consider that unrelated change. As long as we do that, I do agree.

Bumping this old thread for the upcoming 10 release to avoid having a new major
version out which according to /about/ seems to have platform support which is
long gone.

The alternative option to this patch is of course to remove IRIX and Tru64 from
/about/ completely but that might be tricker bikeshed to paint.

cheers ./daniel

Re: [pgsql-www] Operating systems no longer supported in latest

From
Dave Page

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2017, at 16:22, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
> > On 26 Feb 2017, at 16:13, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net <mailto:magnus@hagander.net>> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se> <mailto:daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>>> wrote:
> > On about/ we list SGI IRIX and Tru64 as operating systems PostgreSQL runs on
> > which while true, is a bit misleading since neither is supported in the latest
> > versions.  IRIX support was retired in 9.4 with ea91a6be89575 and Tru64 in 9.5
> > with a6d488cb538c8.
> >
> > I propose linking the entries to the featurematrix platform group (as in
> > attached patch) and adding features for IRIX and Tru64 support for the
> > appropriate versions to clarify.
> >
> > That doesn't work very well in combination with the fact that we by default hide the features with no differences -- there is nothing listed under platforms at all in the default view.
>
> Assuming the default shown set of versions are the ones currently supported (as
> it is now), entries for IRIX and Tru64 would have changes and thus would be
> shown.  Once either of these is no longer supported in a supported version, I
> would expect us to drop it from the about/ page as well which handles the
> problem of hiding features without differences.
>
> Ah, ok, fair enough. Didn't consider that unrelated change. As long as we do that, I do agree.

Bumping this old thread for the upcoming 10 release to avoid having a new major
version out which according to /about/ seems to have platform support which is
long gone.

The alternative option to this patch is of course to remove IRIX and Tru64 from
/about/ completely but that might be tricker bikeshed to paint.

I looked at committing this with the release, but without adding a good platform list to the matrix first, it really doesn't work. I agree with Magnus that we should probably try to avoid updating /about in this way... can you compile a platform list along with the supported versions for me to add?

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgsql-www] Operating systems no longer supported in latest

Date:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> The alternative option to this patch is of course to remove IRIX and Tru64 from
> /about/ completely but that might be tricker bikeshed to paint.

+1 for just removing them.  The lack of any complaints since 9.4 and 9.5
indicates that nobody cares, so I can't see the point of doing a lot of
work here.

Date:
> On 05 Oct 2017, at 15:33, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> The alternative option to this patch is of course to remove IRIX and Tru64 from
>> /about/ completely but that might be tricker bikeshed to paint.
>
> +1 for just removing them.  The lack of any complaints since 9.4 and 9.5
> indicates that nobody cares, so I can't see the point of doing a lot of
> work here.

Circling back to this old thread, the attached patch simply removes IRIX and
Tru64 from /about.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> On 05 Oct 2017, at 15:33, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> The alternative option to this patch is of course to remove IRIX and Tru64 from
>> /about/ completely but that might be tricker bikeshed to paint.
>
> +1 for just removing them.  The lack of any complaints since 9.4 and 9.5
> indicates that nobody cares, so I can't see the point of doing a lot of
> work here.

Circling back to this old thread, the attached patch simply removes IRIX and
Tru64 from /about.

Pushed, thanks.