[ADMIN] repmgr error with automated failover

From
"Lazaro Garcia"

Hello every one in the list. First thanks to repmgr.

I took several days testing repmgr but I can't execute an automated failover properly.

I have 2 nodes, a master(node1) and a slave(nodo2). The repmgrd service is running on both servers. When node1 goes down an automated failover take place and node2 is promounted as master, at this point all is ok, the problems comes when node2 is attached again to the cluster, for incorporating this node to the cluster I run this commands:

1. executes a clone command on node1

su -c 'repmgr -h node2 -U repmgr -d repmgr -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main/ -f /etc/postgresql/9.6/main/repmgr.conf --rsync-only --force standby clone' postgres

2. start up the postgres service on node1

3. Register this node

su -c 'repmgr -f /etc/postgresql/9.6/main/repmgr.conf --force standby register' postgres

Then stops node2 but node1 is never promoted as master.

Why node1 is not promoted? Is there something wrong?

Regards.

Re: [ADMIN] repmgr error with automated failover

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
Hi

On 02/13/2017 11:32 PM, Lazaro Garcia wrote:
> Hello every one in the list. First thanks to repmgr.
>

> I took several days testing repmgr but I can't execute an automated failover
> properly.
>

> I have 2 nodes, a master(node1) and a slave(nodo2). The repmgrd service is
> running on both servers. When node1 goes down an automated failover take
> place and node2 is promounted as master, at this point all is ok, the
> problems comes when node2 is attached again to the cluster, for
> incorporating this node to the cluster I run this commands:
>
> 1. executes a clone command on node1
>
> su -c 'repmgr -h node2 -U repmgr -d repmgr -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main/
> -f /etc/postgresql/9.6/main/repmgr.conf --rsync-only --force standby clone'
> postgres
>

> 2. start up the postgres service on node1
>

> 3. Register this node
>
> su -c 'repmgr -f /etc/postgresql/9.6/main/repmgr.conf --force standby
> register' postgres
>

> Then stops node2 but node1 is never promoted as master.
>
> Why node1 is not promoted? Is there something wrong?

Is repmgrd running on node1? Is its repmgr.conf file configured
correctly, e.g. "failover=automatic"

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
  Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: [ADMIN] repmgr error with automated failover

From
"Lazaro Garcia"
Date:
Ian thank you very much for the help.

I found the problem.

When an automated failover take places, the repmgr process on the failed
node dies.

Postgresql service stops on Node1 , Node2 is promoted as master
automaticaly, but repmgr on node1 stops, and I need to start repmgr again
after recover Node1.

Is this the expected behavior?

Regards.