[pgadmin-hackers][patch] Fixes QT build when not signing

From
George Gelashvili
Date:
Hello Hackers!

We were building the QT app locally with QTDIR, PGDIR, PYTHON_HOME, and PYTHON_VERSION set, and by running:
make appbundle

We were seeing the runtime error:
Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
Abort trap: 6
after a successful python server start.

We found that the setup before signing in codesign-bundle.sh was necessary to resolve this, whether or not one is planning on signing the app or dmg. The fix requires setting variables appropriately in mac/pkg/framework.conf

We've attached a patch with our changes.

Cheers,
Sarah & George
Attachment

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Fixes QT build when not signing

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM, George Gelashvili
<ggelashvili@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hello Hackers!
>
> We were building the QT app locally with QTDIR, PGDIR, PYTHON_HOME, and
> PYTHON_VERSION set, and by running:
> make appbundle
>
> We were seeing the runtime error:
>>
>> Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
>> Abort trap: 6
>
> after a successful python server start.
>
> We found that the setup before signing in codesign-bundle.sh was necessary
> to resolve this, whether or not one is planning on signing the app or dmg.
> The fix requires setting variables appropriately in mac/pkg/framework.conf
>
> We've attached a patch with our changes.

I'm seeing the following in the output:

App completed: /Users/dpage/git/pgadmin4/pkg/mac/../../mac-build/pgAdmin 4.app
usage: chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a  [i][# [ n]]]
mode|entry file ...
chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -N | -i | -I] file ...
Reorganising the framework structure

I wonder if there's any point in building if framework.conf isn't
present? It clearly doesn't work, so we should probably just exit if
it's not there (or attempt to run using the default values in
framework.conf.in.

Thoughts?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Fixes QT build when not signing

From
Atira Odhner
Date:
Sure, sounds good. We accidentally had a stray chmod hanging out, which we removed. We also made it exit if the framework.conf is missing. We opted in that direction over the auto-using framework.conf.in because we feel like it is likely that developers will need to set these values to get the build to work, so failing will make it more obvious where versions need to be set to line up with their systems.
Here is an updated patch.

Tira, Sarah & George

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:30 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM, George Gelashvili
<ggelashvili@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hello Hackers!
>
> We were building the QT app locally with QTDIR, PGDIR, PYTHON_HOME, and
> PYTHON_VERSION set, and by running:
> make appbundle
>
> We were seeing the runtime error:
>>
>> Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
>> Abort trap: 6
>
> after a successful python server start.
>
> We found that the setup before signing in codesign-bundle.sh was necessary
> to resolve this, whether or not one is planning on signing the app or dmg.
> The fix requires setting variables appropriately in mac/pkg/framework.conf
>
> We've attached a patch with our changes.

I'm seeing the following in the output:

App completed: /Users/dpage/git/pgadmin4/pkg/mac/../../mac-build/pgAdmin 4.app
usage: chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a  [i][# [ n]]]
mode|entry file ...
chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -N | -i | -I] file ...
Reorganising the framework structure

I wonder if there's any point in building if framework.conf isn't
present? It clearly doesn't work, so we should probably just exit if
it's not there (or attempt to run using the default values in
framework.conf.in.

Thoughts?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Fixes QT build when not signing

From
Dave Page
Date:
Thanks - patch applied with minor tweaks to make it fail much earlier
if framework.conf isn't present, and to update to current versions of
Python/Qt.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Atira Odhner <aodhner@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Sure, sounds good. We accidentally had a stray chmod hanging out, which we
> removed. We also made it exit if the framework.conf is missing. We opted in
> that direction over the auto-using framework.conf.in because we feel like it
> is likely that developers will need to set these values to get the build to
> work, so failing will make it more obvious where versions need to be set to
> line up with their systems.
> Here is an updated patch.
>
> Tira, Sarah & George
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:30 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM, George Gelashvili
>> <ggelashvili@pivotal.io> wrote:
>> > Hello Hackers!
>> >
>> > We were building the QT app locally with QTDIR, PGDIR, PYTHON_HOME, and
>> > PYTHON_VERSION set, and by running:
>> > make appbundle
>> >
>> > We were seeing the runtime error:

>> > after a successful python server start.
>> >
>> > We found that the setup before signing in codesign-bundle.sh was
>> > necessary
>> > to resolve this, whether or not one is planning on signing the app or
>> > dmg.
>> > The fix requires setting variables appropriately in
>> > mac/pkg/framework.conf
>> >
>> > We've attached a patch with our changes.
>>
>> I'm seeing the following in the output:
>>
>> App completed: /Users/dpage/git/pgadmin4/pkg/mac/../../mac-build/pgAdmin
>> 4.app
>> usage: chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a  [i][# [ n]]]
>> mode|entry file ...
>> chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -N | -i | -I] file ...
>> Reorganising the framework structure
>>
>> I wonder if there's any point in building if framework.conf isn't
>> present? It clearly doesn't work, so we should probably just exit if
>> it's not there (or attempt to run using the default values in
>> framework.conf.in.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>>

>> --

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Fixes QT build when not signing

From
Atira Odhner

Thanks!