[NOVICE] server log error on startup

From
Jeffrey A Trimble
Date:
Hi all,

I’ve just built Postgresql 9.6, and ran into a problem I’ve never seen before.    (I’ve built 8.7, 9.0, 9.1 in the past).

When I issue the command /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres –D /usr/local/pgsql/data >log file 2>&1 & for the first run (using the Short version of the installation instructions), I get the following error:

postgres@dtest:/> -bash: logfile: Permission denied

I cannot figure out what went wrong.  The data directory is owned by pgsql.  I should mention that I have my pgsql named pgsql96 (to keep two different installations separate) and they are not in the /usr/local directory, but a customize location (/irmaag/pgsql96).  My installation contained the ./configure —prefix=/irmaag/pgsql96

I’m stumped since I can’t really “see” a permission issue.  I have postgresql version 9.02 running on this server (well, not co-currently) successfully.

Anyone have some suggestions as to were to look?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeffrey Trimble, MLS
William F. Maag Library
Youngstown State University
330.941.2483 (Office)
jatrimble@ysu.edu
http://digital.maag.ysu.edu

Re: [NOVICE] server log error on startup

Date:
Jeffrey A Trimble <jatrimble@ysu.edu> writes:
> When I issue the command /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >log file 2>&1 & for the first run
(usingthe Short version of the installation instructions), I get the following error:

> postgres@dtest:/> -bash: logfile: Permission denied

What directory are you issuing that command in?  If "logfile" doesn't
already exist there, you'd need write permission on the directory in
order to create it.  It looks like you don't have that.

            regards, tom lane