[GENERAL] vacuum freeze in 96

From
Torsten Förtsch
Date:
Hi,

one of the major enhancements in 96 is skipping completely frozen pages in vacuum freeze. I assume that requires a special bit on the page.

If I upgrade from 93 using pg_upgrade, that is re-using the data files, can it still do that? Or do I have to recreate the table?

Thanks,
Torsten

Re: [GENERAL] vacuum freeze in 96

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:00 AM, Torsten Förtsch <tfoertsch123@gmail.com> wrote:
> one of the major enhancements in 96 is skipping completely frozen pages in
> vacuum freeze. I assume that requires a special bit on the page.

The freeze map uses an additional bit in the vm, and pg_upgrade would
take care of the conversion.
--
Michael

Date:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:59 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:00 AM, Torsten Förtsch <tfoertsch123@gmail.com> wrote:
> one of the major enhancements in 96 is skipping completely frozen pages in
> vacuum freeze. I assume that requires a special bit on the page.

The freeze map uses an additional bit in the vm, and pg_upgrade would
take care of the conversion.

Thanks. That makes sense.