Postgresql errors on Windows with F-Secure AntiVirus

From
Moreno Andreo
Date:
Hi again,
     our support team is reporting cases where postgres connections are
suddenly dropped, but reconnecting again soon everyting is OK.
Environment is PostgreSQL 9.1 on Windows (various versions)
Asfer some research, I found on postgresql log many of these messages
could not reserve shared memory region (addr=02E80000) for child
0000094C: 487
Searching the archives I found a bug fixed with 9.3.x, since I had 9.1,
I migrated to 9.5.6 (standard for new installations). After restarting,
I got the exact same error and response behaviour.
After another search, I stopped F-Secure Antivirus services, and
everything is now going smoothly. So, with the help of a mate that knows
how this antivirus work, we put exceptions to all PostgreSQL directories.
After restarting, the error was back. Nothing in the AV log. Tomorrow
we'll try with adding exclusions to port 5433....

Someone else facing this problem?

Thanks
Moreno.-

Re: Postgresql errors on Windows with F-Secure AntiVirus

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Moreno Andreo <moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it> wrote:
> Hi again,
>     our support team is reporting cases where postgres connections are
> suddenly dropped, but reconnecting again soon everyting is OK.
> Environment is PostgreSQL 9.1 on Windows (various versions)
> Asfer some research, I found on postgresql log many of these messages
> could not reserve shared memory region (addr=02E80000) for child 0000094C:
> 487
> Searching the archives I found a bug fixed with 9.3.x, since I had 9.1, I
> migrated to 9.5.6 (standard for new installations). After restarting, I got
> the exact same error and response behaviour.
> After another search, I stopped F-Secure Antivirus services, and everything
> is now going smoothly. So, with the help of a mate that knows how this
> antivirus work, we put exceptions to all PostgreSQL directories.
> After restarting, the error was back. Nothing in the AV log. Tomorrow we'll
> try with adding exclusions to port 5433....
>
> Someone else facing this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Moreno.-

Shared memory doesn't come from a file on teh hard drive.  You need an
exception for whatever postgres uses for shared memory in windows. I
don't know much about pgsql on windows, but that should get you
started.

Post back if you find anything that makes it work.

Date:
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Moreno Andreo <moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>     our support team is reporting cases where postgres connections are
>> suddenly dropped, but reconnecting again soon everyting is OK.
>> Environment is PostgreSQL 9.1 on Windows (various versions)
>> Asfer some research, I found on postgresql log many of these messages
>> could not reserve shared memory region (addr=02E80000) for child 0000094C:
>> 487
>> Searching the archives I found a bug fixed with 9.3.x, since I had 9.1, I
>> migrated to 9.5.6 (standard for new installations). After restarting, I got
>> the exact same error and response behaviour.
>> After another search, I stopped F-Secure Antivirus services, and everything
>> is now going smoothly. So, with the help of a mate that knows how this
>> antivirus work, we put exceptions to all PostgreSQL directories.
>> After restarting, the error was back. Nothing in the AV log. Tomorrow we'll
>> try with adding exclusions to port 5433....
>>
>> Someone else facing this problem?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Moreno.-
>

> Shared memory doesn't come from a file on teh hard drive.  You need an
> exception for whatever postgres uses for shared memory in windows. I
> don't know much about pgsql on windows, but that should get you
> started.
>

> Post back if you find anything that makes it work.

Oh and if you can report it to the antivirus vendor so they can fix it
permanently on their end. pgsql is not a virus.