Documentation for pgp_pub_decrypt

From
joe@snikeris.com
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/pgcrypto.html

I believe the first argument should be of type 'text'. Especially
considering the paragraph that follows discusses how passing in bytea is
disallowed.

Re: Documentation for pgp_pub_decrypt

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 4:55 AM,  <joe@snikeris.com> wrote:

> I believe the first argument [apparently of pg_sym_decrypt() and
> pg_pub_decrypt()] should be of type 'text'. Especially
> considering the paragraph that follows discusses how passing in
> bytea is disallowed.

The *encrypted* form is bytea; those functions *return* text and
are thus not a good way to get back to unencrypted bytea data; an
additional transformation would still be required to get to the
byte format from text, and the bytes representing those character
strings would depend on the character encoding.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Documentation for pgp_pub_decrypt