Postgresql 8.4 optimize for heavy select load

From
Job
Date:
Hello,

i would please like to have some suggestions to optimize Postgres 8.4 for a very heavy number of select (with join)
queries.
The queries read data, very rarely they write.

Thank you!
Francesco

Re: Postgresql 8.4 optimize for heavy select load

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
On 19/09/16 19:40, Job wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i would please like to have some suggestions to optimize Postgres 8.4 for a very heavy number of select (with join)
queries.
> The queries read data, very rarely they write.

We probably need to see schema and query examples to help you (with
EXPLAIN ANALYZE output). Also - err 8.4 - I (and others probably) will
recommend you upgrade to a more recent (and supported for that matter)
version - currently 9.5/9.6 - lots of performance improvements you are
missing out on!

Best wishes

Mark

Re: Postgresql 8.4 optimize for heavy select load

From
Torsten Zuehlsdorff
Date:
On 19.09.2016 10:23, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> On 19/09/16 19:40, Job wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i would please like to have some suggestions to optimize Postgres 8.4
>> for a very heavy number of select (with join) queries.
>> The queries read data, very rarely they write.
>>

> We probably need to see schema and query examples to help you (with
> EXPLAIN ANALYZE output). Also - err 8.4 - I (and others probably) will
> recommend you upgrade to a more recent (and supported for that matter)
> version - currently 9.5/9.6 - lots of performance improvements you are
> missing out on!

Especially since 8.4 is out of support for 2 years:
https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Greetings,
Torsten

Re: Postgresql 8.4 optimize for heavy select load

From
julyanto SUTANDANG
Date:
You might wanted to upgrade to new  version 9.5 with small effort by using pg_upgrade,
we have done upgrading and achieve more than 20x faster from 8.4 to 9.5 (it depends on the type of sql statement actually)

Jul.

Julyanto SUTANDANG

Equnix Business Solutions, PT
(An Open Source and Open Mind Company)
www.equnix.co.id
Pusat Niaga ITC Roxy Mas Blok C2/42.  Jl. KH Hasyim Ashari 125, Jakarta Pusat
T: +6221 22866662 F: +62216315281 M: +628164858028

Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.Unless it is made by the authorized person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Equnix Business Solutions.