Use of .mogrify

From
Tobias Fielitz
Date:
Hi All,

I just stumbled across this conversation:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.db.psycopg.devel/4775

Is .mogrify still just for debugging usage?

I have a query generated by Django's ORM that I would like to execute as
plain SQL (because I will wrap some SQL around it).

Cheers,
Tobias

Attachment

Re: Use of .mogrify

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 04/02/2014 05:00 PM, Tobias Fielitz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just stumbled across this conversation:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.db.psycopg.devel/4775
>
> Is .mogrify still just for debugging usage?
>
> I have a query generated by Django's ORM that I would like to execute as
> plain SQL (because I will wrap some SQL around it).

Any reason you cannot just put it into execute()?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Use of .mogrify

From
Daniele Varrazzo
Date:
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 1:00 AM, Tobias Fielitz <tobias@streethawk.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just stumbled across this conversation:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.db.psycopg.devel/4775
>
> Is .mogrify still just for debugging usage?

That message is still valid: currently mogrify does what you expect
(actually better than it used to do in 2008). But in the future we
don't guarantee that (actually, if we move to sending parameters to
the server, new cursor classes may not have a mogrify method at all).

> I have a query generated by Django's ORM that I would like to execute as
> plain SQL (because I will wrap some SQL around it).

Why don't you wrap the SQL around the query with placeholders and then
pass the parameters?

-- Daniele