Regarding Contributors List

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
Hi,

I am missing in the contributors list as the author of JDBC_FDW, Ordered Set Aggregates, Grouping Sets.

Please help

Regards,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: Regarding Contributors List

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:35:54PM +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am missing in the contributors list as the author of JDBC_FDW, Ordered
> Set Aggregates, Grouping Sets.

Bump!

Do we have criteria for inclusion on that list?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Regarding Contributors List

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:35:54PM +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am missing in the contributors list as the author of JDBC_FDW, Ordered
> > Set Aggregates, Grouping Sets.
>
> Bump!
>
> Do we have criteria for inclusion on that list?

Clearly not, because for example we still list Dean Rasheed as a
"contributor" even though he has become a committer, so he should be
listed in "major contributors".  And we still list Hitoshi Harada, even
though he stopped contribution years ago (and he certainly no longer
maintains CTEs, as the list claims).

We're definitely missing David Rowley and Tomas Vondra, just from a
quick look.

Re: Regarding Contributors List

From
Magnus Hagander

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:35:54PM +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am missing in the contributors list as the author of JDBC_FDW, Ordered
> > Set Aggregates, Grouping Sets.
>
> Bump!
>
> Do we have criteria for inclusion on that list?

Clearly not, because for example we still list Dean Rasheed as a
"contributor" even though he has become a committer, so he should be
listed in "major contributors".  And we still list Hitoshi Harada, even
though he stopped contribution years ago (and he certainly no longer
maintains CTEs, as the list claims).

We're definitely missing David Rowley and Tomas Vondra, just from a
quick look.

I believe that normally Josh Berkus has lead this effort and done it around the time of each major release. I'm not sure when he last did though?

(I also know a group of us sat down at pgcon a couple of years back and refreshed the list, but that was an out-of-band update)

Josh, are you still doing this?

--

Re: Regarding Contributors List

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 03/28/2016 02:50 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:35:54PM +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am missing in the contributors list as the author of JDBC_FDW, Ordered
>>> Set Aggregates, Grouping Sets.
>>
>> Bump!
>>
>> Do we have criteria for inclusion on that list?
>
> Clearly not, because for example we still list Dean Rasheed as a
> "contributor" even though he has become a committer, so he should be
> listed in "major contributors".  And we still list Hitoshi Harada, even
> though he stopped contribution years ago (and he certainly no longer
> maintains CTEs, as the list claims).
>
> We're definitely missing David Rowley and Tomas Vondra, just from a
> quick look.

The contributor list has long been a source of unmanaged misinformation.

jD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> The contributor list has long been a source of unmanaged misinformation.

What's your proposal?

Re: Regarding Contributors List

From
Josh berkus
Date:
On 03/29/2016 10:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> The contributor list has long been a source of unmanaged misinformation.

I could say the same of the sponsors list ...

It's constantly out of date, yes.  The problem is that updating it is a
highly manual process without good tools since each change in
contributor level needs to be checked with a committee.  Which makes it
easy to put off for large amounts of time.

If someone wants to take on writing a tool which would allow a small
group of people to vote on contributor level changes, additions and
removals on a continous-flow basis, be my guest.  It would help a lot.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Date:
On 03/29/2016 04:09 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
> On 03/29/2016 10:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> If someone wants to take on writing a tool which would allow a small
> group of people to vote on contributor level changes, additions and
> removals on a continous-flow basis, be my guest.  It would help a lot.

As mentioned in my email to core, I am sure with a little bit of
outreach a small committee could be formed that would be willing to do
the work.

Sincerely,

JD

--