RDS announcement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
not, but wanted to be sure.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: RDS announcement

Date:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 01:01:34PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
> impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
> trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
> appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
> not, but wanted to be sure.

No, I don't think so.  It isn't an announcement about a new product or
anything, i.e. it is only of interest to existing customers.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: RDS announcement

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Are they (AWS) making a donation?

Dave Cramer

The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
not, but wanted to be sure.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: RDS announcement

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
not, but wanted to be sure.

I'd say no. But it might be appropriate with an email to -general for example, just to get peoples eyes up.

--

Re: RDS announcement

Date:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 09:04:16PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>     Folks,
>
>     The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
>     impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
>     trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
>     appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
>     not, but wanted to be sure.
>

> I'd say no. But it might be appropriate with an email to -general for example,
> just to get peoples eyes up.

Uh, even there, I don't think that fits the charter.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: RDS announcement

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 03/18/2015 01:05 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 09:04:16PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>      Folks,
>>
>>      The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
>>      impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
>>      trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
>>      appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
>>      not, but wanted to be sure.

It seems to me they should have contact info for all their RDS users?

That said, if we want to be helpful, wouldn't -announce be the platform
of choice?

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc

Now I get it: your service is designed for a customer
base that grew up with Facebook, watches Japanese seizure
robot anime, and has the attention span of a gnat.
I'm not that user., "Tyler Riddle"

Re: RDS announcement

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
     The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
     impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
     trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
     appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
     not, but wanted to be sure.

It seems to me they should have contact info for all their RDS users?

Yeah, that's a pretty good point :)

That said, if we want to be helpful, wouldn't -announce be the platform of choice?

Given how many inboxes -announce reaches, I would say a definite -1 on that. The vast majority of those are not RDS users, by far.

--

Re: RDS announcement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>     It seems to me they should have contact info for all their RDS users?
>

> Yeah, that's a pretty good point :)

They do, this is just a "blanket the affected people" thing.

>     That said, if we want to be helpful, wouldn't -announce be the
>     platform of choice?
>

> Given how many inboxes -announce reaches, I would say a definite -1 on
> that. The vast majority of those are not RDS users, by far.

BTW, I'm assuming that such an announcement would be against Planet
Postgres policy as well.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: RDS announcement

Date:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 01:58:03PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >     It seems to me they should have contact info for all their RDS users?
> >

> > Yeah, that's a pretty good point :)
>
> They do, this is just a "blanket the affected people" thing.
>
> >     That said, if we want to be helpful, wouldn't -announce be the
> >     platform of choice?
> >

> > Given how many inboxes -announce reaches, I would say a definite -1 on
> > that. The vast majority of those are not RDS users, by far.
>
> BTW, I'm assuming that such an announcement would be against Planet
> Postgres policy as well.

Uh, Planet actually has a more formal policy:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Planet_PostgreSQL#Are_commercial_posts_allowed.3F
Are commercial posts allowed?Informative entries that mention proprietary products are normallypermissible, as long as
themain entry is relevant to the PostgreSQLcommunity. But the policy specifically prohibits publication ofadvertising
inthe portion of a blog that is syndicated to the Planetfeed. It's recommended that blogs that may contain ads tag
themappropriately,to provide a feed to the Planet without those entriesincluded.

Also:
What constitutes an advertisement?The primary test here is whether the information provided would be ofsome use even to
peoplewho have no interest in the commercial productmentioned. Consider what your entry would look like if all
referencestothe product were removed. If there's no useful PostgreSQL content leftafter doing that, that post is an ad.

While it isn't an ad, when you remove the reference to the product,
there isn't anything left.  I think a post would also fail on the
"relevant to the PostgreSQL community".

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: RDS announcement

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
> It seems to me they should have contact info for all their RDS users?

Yes, they do. Some could be outdated, but since it's used for invoices and billing, the users must either be getting mail or regularly logging in to the website, where they can also display banners.

This really doesn't seem relevant for -announce, it's a support notice for someone's customers.

Re: RDS announcement

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
> impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
> trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
> appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
> not, but wanted to be sure.

I agree. We're not a conduit to their customers (or anyone elses), and
this is not either primarily about community PostgreSQL or a new
product announcement.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: RDS announcement

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 18 March 2015 at 20:01, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
> impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
> trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
> appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
> not, but wanted to be sure.

Please can you ask them if its ok for us to send pgsql-announce
messages to RDS users?

That way, it would make perfect sense to send RDS messages to pgsql-announce.

RDS users can then benefit from the other aspects of the PostgreSQL community.

-- Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training &
Services

Re: RDS announcement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 03/19/2015 08:14 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 18 March 2015 at 20:01, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> The Amazon RDS folks would like to post an announcement about the
>> impending expiry and renewal of all RDS SSL certificates.  They're
>> trying to blitz reminders because users aren't responding; is this
>> appropriate for www.postgresql.org announcements or not?  I'm thinking
>> not, but wanted to be sure.
>
> Please can you ask them if its ok for us to send pgsql-announce
> messages to RDS users?
>
> That way, it would make perfect sense to send RDS messages to pgsql-announce.
>
> RDS users can then benefit from the other aspects of the PostgreSQL community.

;-)

I like this idea, but I already responded to AWS with the restrictions
on posting.

However, nothing stops me from suggesting that they link the PostgresQL
news feed somewhere ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: RDS announcement

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 3/18/15 5:03 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>     What constitutes an advertisement?
>
>     The primary test here is whether the information provided would be of
>     some use even to people who have no interest in the commercial product
>     mentioned. Consider what your entry would look like if all references to
>     the product were removed. If there's no useful PostgreSQL content left
>     after doing that, that post is an ad.
>
> While it isn't an ad, when you remove the reference to the product,
> there isn't anything left.  I think a post would also fail on the
> "relevant to the PostgreSQL community".

I think this just shows that that definition of advertisement is flawed.Under those rules, even a product recall would
bean advertisement.

Re: RDS announcement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> On 3/18/15 5:03 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>     What constitutes an advertisement?
>>
>>     The primary test here is whether the information provided would be of
>>     some use even to people who have no interest in the commercial product
>>     mentioned. Consider what your entry would look like if all references to
>>     the product were removed. If there's no useful PostgreSQL content left
>>     after doing that, that post is an ad.
>>
>> While it isn't an ad, when you remove the reference to the product,
>> there isn't anything left.  I think a post would also fail on the
>> "relevant to the PostgreSQL community".
>
> I think this just shows that that definition of advertisement is flawed.
>  Under those rules, even a product recall would be an advertisement.

... except I'm not sure that the policy is *intended* to allow things
like product recalls on Planet.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.