Announce mailing list approvals

From
Dave Page
Date:
[for want of a better list...]

Who keeps approving replies to messages on -announce? I've seen two today; one asking to be removed from the list, and one asking about RPMs of postgres-xc. Neither should have been approved.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Robert Haas
Date:
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> [for want of a better list...]
>
> Who keeps approving replies to messages on -announce? I've seen two today;
> one asking to be removed from the list, and one asking about RPMs of
> postgres-xc. Neither should have been approved.

+10.

This seems to happen constantly.  It's really annoying.

--
Robert Haas

Date:
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> [for want of a better list...]
>>
>> Who keeps approving replies to messages on -announce? I've seen two today;
>> one asking to be removed from the list, and one asking about RPMs of
>> postgres-xc. Neither should have been approved.
>
> +10.
>
> This seems to happen constantly.  It's really annoying.

OK, this has happened about three more times on the same thread.

Here's my guess: nobody's moderating those postings.  Somehow, the
rules for moderation have gotten screwed up, and posts from people on
other PG mailing lists are just being allowed through willy-nilly.

Can someone please care about this?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>> [for want of a better list...]
>>>
>>> Who keeps approving replies to messages on -announce? I've seen two today;
>>> one asking to be removed from the list, and one asking about RPMs of
>>> postgres-xc. Neither should have been approved.
>>
>> +10.
>>
>> This seems to happen constantly.  It's really annoying.
>
> OK, this has happened about three more times on the same thread.
>
> Here's my guess: nobody's moderating those postings.  Somehow, the
> rules for moderation have gotten screwed up, and posts from people on
> other PG mailing lists are just being allowed through willy-nilly.

That's not my guess.

My guess is that it's someone who moderates many lists, and just
checks the *contnets* of the mails. Which is perfectly on-topic for
any other list, so it gets approved.

And perhaps by somebody either not on this list, or not paying
attention on this list :)

> Can someone please care about this?

I don't really know the mj2 config. AFAICT it's set up to moderate
everything except for a very specific list of people. I can't actually
figure out how to view that list of people :-), but it's
"pgsql-announce:restrict".

Alvaro, can you check?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> +10.
>>>
>>> This seems to happen constantly.  It's really annoying.
>>
>> OK, this has happened about three more times on the same thread.
>>
>> Here's my guess: nobody's moderating those postings.  Somehow, the
>> rules for moderation have gotten screwed up, and posts from people on
>> other PG mailing lists are just being allowed through willy-nilly.
>
> That's not my guess.
>
> My guess is that it's someone who moderates many lists, and just
> checks the *contnets* of the mails. Which is perfectly on-topic for
> any other list, so it gets approved.
>
> And perhaps by somebody either not on this list, or not paying
> attention on this list :)
>

>> Can someone please care about this?
>
> I don't really know the mj2 config. AFAICT it's set up to moderate
> everything except for a very specific list of people. I can't actually
> figure out how to view that list of people :-), but it's
> "pgsql-announce:restrict".

Members are Marc Fournier, Robert Treat and David Fetter. The only one
of those that I can imagine actually needs un-fettered access (pardon
the pun) is David - but he's a moderator anyway.

So, I've set moderate to yes for now, so all messages need to be
moderated. If any more come through, someone isn't paying attention.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Announce mailing list approvals

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Announce mailing list approvals

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 07:27:26PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> +10.
> >>
> >> This seems to happen constantly.  It's really annoying.
> >
> > OK, this has happened about three more times on the same thread.
> >
> > Here's my guess: nobody's moderating those postings.  Somehow, the
> > rules for moderation have gotten screwed up, and posts from people
> > on other PG mailing lists are just being allowed through
> > willy-nilly.
>
> That's not my guess.
>
> My guess is that it's someone who moderates many lists, and just
> checks the *contnets* of the mails. Which is perfectly on-topic for
> any other list, so it gets approved.

That'd be me.

Mea culpa.

Cheers,