Thinking about

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
I would like to see us encourage people whose blogs are syndicated to
planet PostgreSQL and to .org to write fewer, though more substantial
blog posts.

Unfortunately, ISTM that by not having a minimum length for blogposts,
we effectively incentivise writing lots of shallow articles, with no
analysis, and no original content.

It's hard to write a blog post that stays on .org for more than a day
or two now. This discourages people from writing really deep,
subtantial blogposts, because they know that traffic to their blog
will quickly fall off as soon as it slides off .org to make room for
other blog posts, which in some cases would be more appropriate as
tweets.

Am I the only one who thinks so? What measures could we take to
improve the situation?

Re: Thinking about

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 07/26/2011 06:16 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I would like to see us encourage people whose blogs are syndicated to
> planet PostgreSQL and to .org to write fewer, though more substantial
> blog posts.
>
> Unfortunately, ISTM that by not having a minimum length for blogposts,
> we effectively incentivise writing lots of shallow articles, with no
> analysis, and no original content.
>
> It's hard to write a blog post that stays on .org for more than a day
> or two now. This discourages people from writing really deep,
> subtantial blogposts, because they know that traffic to their blog
> will quickly fall off as soon as it slides off .org to make room for
> other blog posts, which in some cases would be more appropriate as
> tweets.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks so? What measures could we take to
> improve the situation?

We have actually had this argument before because some folks were using
their blog to status update. IMO, the more restriction you place on
people who are blogging, the less they are going to start caring about
whether or not their blog shows up on planet. The information up there
now is relative, and appropriate. The reality is we have a lot of
community members and a lot of them blog.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Re: Thinking about

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Thinking about

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On tis, 2011-07-26 at 14:16 +0100, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I would like to see us encourage people whose blogs are syndicated to
> planet PostgreSQL and to .org to write fewer, though more substantial
> blog posts.
>
> Unfortunately, ISTM that by not having a minimum length for blogposts,
> we effectively incentivise writing lots of shallow articles, with no
> analysis, and no original content.

Well, these are blogs, not peer-edited journals.  I like the occasional
short and shallow article to read on the bus.

> It's hard to write a blog post that stays on .org for more than a day
> or two now. This discourages people from writing really deep,
> subtantial blogposts, because they know that traffic to their blog
> will quickly fall off as soon as it slides off .org to make room for
> other blog posts, which in some cases would be more appropriate as
> tweets.

I doubt many of the existing bloggers care about the home page.

Re: Thinking about

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> It's hard to write a blog post that stays on .org for more than a day
>> or two now. This discourages people from writing really deep,
>> subtantial blogposts, because they know that traffic to their blog
>> will quickly fall off as soon as it slides off .org to make room for
>> other blog posts, which in some cases would be more appropriate as
>> tweets.
>
> I doubt many of the existing bloggers care about the home page.

We actually want that section of the homepage to change quickly - it
shows there's activity around the project.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Thinking about

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On 27 July 2011 11:51, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> I doubt many of the existing bloggers care about the home page.
>
> We actually want that section of the homepage to change quickly - it
> shows there's activity around the project.

I suppose that what I'm asking for here is editorial standards higher
than "not spam". I think that the quality of blog posts is generally
high, and I'm not really taking issue with volume per blogger here. In
fact, it's worth pointing out that Depesz, the person with the highest
number of posts on planet at the moment, produces great content that
people are actually interested in, and that isn't at all shallow. I
wouldn't ask Depesz to change anything about his blog.

I now realise that doing anything about this is probably unworkable,
and that it probably wasn't worth bringing up.

Re: Thinking about

Date:
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On 27 July 2011 11:51, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> >> I doubt many of the existing bloggers care about the home page.
> >
> > We actually want that section of the homepage to change quickly - it
> > shows there's activity around the project.
>
> I suppose that what I'm asking for here is editorial standards higher
> than "not spam". I think that the quality of blog posts is generally
> high, and I'm not really taking issue with volume per blogger here. In
> fact, it's worth pointing out that Depesz, the person with the highest
> number of posts on planet at the moment, produces great content that
> people are actually interested in, and that isn't at all shallow. I
> wouldn't ask Depesz to change anything about his blog.
>
> I now realise that doing anything about this is probably unworkable,
> and that it probably wasn't worth bringing up.

I am problably the most frequent short poster, as shown in the Planet PG
statistics.  I like to post to tell people about what is going on with
the project.  I don't think any of it is tweet length (140 characters),
but they are short.  In fact, I try to make the blog posts as short as
possible, and link to further details, because people have a limited
amount of time.  (My emails are short too.)

I don't think I could produce significant-length blog posts with any
regularity.

http://enterprisedb.com