Can we filter out BCCs?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Just got a piece of spam to a PostgreSQL list which was to
"undisclosed-recipients".  Seems like Majordomo ought to be able to
filter out BCCs for all public lists.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 25 May 2011 21:38, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
All,

Just got a piece of spam to a PostgreSQL list which was to
"undisclosed-recipients".  Seems like Majordomo ought to be able to
filter out BCCs for all public lists.

Yes, I've seen these come through a couple times on the Testers list.  Not sure how they're getting through anyway.  Don't they have to be registered?  Otherwise I'd expect them to require moderation.

Thom

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
`Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Just got a piece of spam to a PostgreSQL list which was to
> "undisclosed-recipients".  Seems like Majordomo ought to be able
> to filter out BCCs for all public lists.
The best way I've seen to "move" a thread from one list to a more
appropriate one is to include the new list in "to" or "cc" and put
the old list in 'bcc".  If we could leave that without causing other
problems, that would be nice.  It's always possible to just post two
messages, though.
-Kevin

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> `Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Just got a piece of spam to a PostgreSQL list which was to
>> "undisclosed-recipients".  Seems like Majordomo ought to be able
>> to filter out BCCs for all public lists.
>
> The best way I've seen to "move" a thread from one list to a more
> appropriate one is to include the new list in "to" or "cc" and put
> the old list in 'bcc".  If we could leave that without causing other
> problems, that would be nice.  It's always possible to just post two
> messages, though.

This is the exact use-case I was going to post about.

Please do not filter out all BCCs.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selena@chesnok.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Kevin Grittner
> <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
>> `Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just got a piece of spam to a PostgreSQL list which was to
>>> "undisclosed-recipients".  Seems like Majordomo ought to be able
>>> to filter out BCCs for all public lists.
>>
>> The best way I've seen to "move" a thread from one list to a more
>> appropriate one is to include the new list in "to" or "cc" and put
>> the old list in 'bcc".  If we could leave that without causing other
>> problems, that would be nice.  It's always possible to just post two
>> messages, though.
>
> This is the exact use-case I was going to post about.
>
> Please do not filter out all BCCs.

Agreed. The sender should still need to be registered though, so we
can always remove them if they're abusing the list. Not much we can do
if a spammer has picked up their address of course, except perhaps ask
them to send from an alternate address.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 5/25/11 5:11 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> Agreed. The sender should still need to be registered though, so we
> can always remove them if they're abusing the list. Not much we can do
> if a spammer has picked up their address of course, except perhaps ask
> them to send from an alternate address.

The sender was registered.

It seems like we could pick up the case where there is no TO line,
though, just a BCC.  Nobody legitimately does that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Josh Berkus  wrote:
> On 5/25/11 5:11 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> Agreed. The sender should still need to be registered though, so
>> we can always remove them if they're abusing the list. Not much we
>> can do if a spammer has picked up their address of course, except
>> perhaps ask them to send from an alternate address.
>
> The sender was registered.
>
> It seems like we could pick up the case where there is no TO line,
> though, just a BCC. Nobody legitimately does that.
+1
I can't think of any good reason to BCC a list without a TO or CC to
another list.
-Kevin

Re: Can we filter out BCCs?

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
On 26.05.2011 02:11, Dave Page wrote:
> Agreed. The sender should still need to be registered though

I can confirm that it is working that way.

It just happened a few days ago - that I made a mistake and took
the wrong email address as sender. The email got blocked perfectly.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com