Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Continuent accidentally sent a non-PostgreSQL announcement to
pgsql-announce.  They've asked us to NOT approve it (and said sorry).

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Someone else must have gotten it already, as there is nothin gin the queue
at this point ...

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Josh Berkus wrote:

> All,
>
> Continuent accidentally sent a non-PostgreSQL announcement to
> pgsql-announce.  They've asked us to NOT approve it (and said sorry).
>
> --
>                                  -- Josh Berkus
>                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
>                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 02:28:52PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Continuent accidentally sent a non-PostgreSQL announcement to
> pgsql-announce.  They've asked us to NOT approve it (and said
> sorry).

Got it.

I have another copy of this silliness that went to my personal email,
just as I have every other time they've done this.  I have never so
much as vaguely intimated to Continuent or to any representative of
that firm that it's OK to send me marketing email.

If this were the first, or even close to the first time that they'd
done something like this, I wouldn't bring this up.  As it is, they
have established, over years, a pattern and practice of unsolicited
commercial email, and I'd like to propose that the domain get blocked
from sending anything to postgresql.org until they have shown just
exactly what measures they've taken in order to prevent this ever
happening again.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:42:44 -0700, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Got it.
>
> I have another copy of this silliness that went to my personal email,
> just as I have every other time they've done this.  I have never so
> much as vaguely intimated to Continuent or to any representative of
> that firm that it's OK to send me marketing email.

-1.

Continuent is a great supporter of our community.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake(at)jabber(dot)postgresql(dot)org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Date:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:45:45PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:42:44 -0700, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> > Got it.
> >
> > I have another copy of this silliness that went to my personal
> > email, just as I have every other time they've done this.  I have
> > never so much as vaguely intimated to Continuent or to any
> > representative of that firm that it's OK to send me marketing
> > email.
>
> -1.
>
> Continuent is a great supporter of our community.

Neither their wallet nor anything else gives them a spamming license.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:47 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:45:45PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:42:44 -0700, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Got it.
> > >
> > > I have another copy of this silliness that went to my personal
> > > email, just as I have every other time they've done this.  I have
> > > never so much as vaguely intimated to Continuent or to any
> > > representative of that firm that it's OK to send me marketing
> > > email.
> >
> > -1.
> >
> > Continuent is a great supporter of our community.
>
> Neither their wallet nor anything else gives them a spamming license.

Have you considered using their nice link:

following link:
http://cts.vresp.com/u?2c9d95b1e2/f8eb00ee56/mlpftw

This message was sent by Continuent Webinar using VerticalResponse

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Date:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 06:04:34PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:47 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> > > -1.
> > >
> > > Continuent is a great supporter of our community.
> >
> > Neither their wallet nor anything else gives them a spamming license.
>
> Have you considered using their nice link:

Opt-out is what spammers allege they honor.  The problem is that
"honor" and "spammer" only belong in a sentence with a negation in
between.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
Greg Smith
Date:
David Fetter wrote:
> Opt-out is what spammers allege they honor.  The problem is that
> "honor" and "spammer" only belong in a sentence with a negation in
> between.

I am currently subscribed to their marketing list at two e-mail
addresses.  I just unsubscribed one of them using the link at the bottom
of the message.  The next time I see an announcement go out on the other
address, I'll be happy to report on whether the other was was removed or
not.  Since, as you say, one component of whether a company is doing the
worst of the common spammer behaviors is whether they honor opt-out
requests, I think it would be reasonable to actually test that before
breaking out the pitchforks.

Date:
On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:47 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:45:45PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:42:44 -0700, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Got it.
> > >
> > > I have another copy of this silliness that went to my personal
> > > email, just as I have every other time they've done this.  I have
> > > never so much as vaguely intimated to Continuent or to any
> > > representative of that firm that it's OK to send me marketing
> > > email.
> >
> > -1.
> >
> > Continuent is a great supporter of our community.
>
> Neither their wallet nor anything else gives them a spamming license.

Have you considered using their nice link:

following link:
http://cts.vresp.com/u?2c9d95b1e2/f8eb00ee56/mlpftw

This message was sent by Continuent Webinar using VerticalResponse

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:47 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

>> > -1.
>> >
>> > Continuent is a great supporter of our community.
>>
>> Neither their wallet nor anything else gives them a spamming license.
>
> Have you considered using their nice link:

I have. And I've had Robert remove me from their lists on numerous
occasions, yet I still keep getting spammed.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:06:48AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> >> Neither their wallet nor anything else gives them a spamming
> >> license.
> >
> > Have you considered using their nice link:
>
> I have. And I've had Robert remove me from their lists on numerous
> occasions, yet I still keep getting spammed.

This is precisely the "pattern and practice" to which I earlier
referred.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:24:08PM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> >Opt-out is what spammers allege they honor.  The problem is that
> >"honor" and "spammer" only belong in a sentence with a negation in
> >between.
>
> I am currently subscribed to their marketing list at two e-mail
> addresses.  I just unsubscribed one of them using the link at the
> bottom of the message.  The next time I see an announcement go out
> on the other address, I'll be happy to report on whether the other
> was was removed or not.  Since, as you say, one component of whether
> a company is doing the worst of the common spammer behaviors is
> whether they honor opt-out requests, I think it would be reasonable
> to actually test that before breaking out the pitchforks.

If there weren't any history, this would be a reasonable test.  There
is a history, it's years long, and it doesn't give any reasonable hope
that what you've done will work this time, as opposed to all the other
times people have tried it.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Has anyone gotten ahold of them about it, with the possibility of having
them banned from our lists as a result of inaction?

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, David Fetter wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:24:08PM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> Opt-out is what spammers allege they honor.  The problem is that
>>> "honor" and "spammer" only belong in a sentence with a negation in
>>> between.
>>
>> I am currently subscribed to their marketing list at two e-mail
>> addresses.  I just unsubscribed one of them using the link at the
>> bottom of the message.  The next time I see an announcement go out
>> on the other address, I'll be happy to report on whether the other
>> was was removed or not.  Since, as you say, one component of whether
>> a company is doing the worst of the common spammer behaviors is
>> whether they honor opt-out requests, I think it would be reasonable
>> to actually test that before breaking out the pitchforks.
>
> If there weren't any history, this would be a reasonable test.  There
> is a history, it's years long, and it doesn't give any reasonable hope
> that what you've done will work this time, as opposed to all the other
> times people have tried it.
>
> Cheers,
> David.
> --
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
> Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
> Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com
> iCal: webcal://www.tripit.com/feed/ical/people/david74/tripit.ics
>
> Remember to vote!
> Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Date:
On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 12:13 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Has anyone gotten ahold of them about it, with the possibility of having
> them banned from our lists as a result of inaction?

I have a call in with Robert Hodges. We have a good relationship. I will
speak with him.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> You ask the wrong person, you get the wrong result. Robert Hodges is the
> CTO and has no business worrying about mailing lists. The person you
> need to talk to is Eeryi (sp?). He is the marketing person.

I spoke to Robert because I know him, and he knows the right people. I
don't think it should be a requirement that I know the precise person
in charge to get off a mailing list.

> I am not saying they are not in the wrong here but really, if we want
> actual progress to be made we need to document the appropriate steps and
> follow them (thus use their unsubscribe links).

Which, as I have pointed out, I have also done.

I should point out that I have nothing against Continuent, and this is
presumably some sort of procedural issue in how they manage their
contact lists, rather than intentional spamming. But it is starting to
be come tiresome.

--

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:53:38AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 12:13 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten ahold of them about it, with the possibility of
> > having them banned from our lists as a result of inaction?
>
> I have a call in with Robert Hodges. We have a good relationship. I
> will speak with him.

Didn't you *just* say, in this thread, that he's the wrong guy to
contact for this kind of thing?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 08:57 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:53:38AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 12:13 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > Has anyone gotten ahold of them about it, with the possibility of
> > > having them banned from our lists as a result of inaction?
> >
> > I have a call in with Robert Hodges. We have a good relationship. I
> > will speak with him.
>
> Didn't you *just* say, in this thread, that he's the wrong guy to
> contact for this kind of thing?

I don't expect Robert to fix it. I expect Robert to get me on the line
with the right guy.

Come on people, good lord.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:53:38AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 12:13 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> > Has anyone gotten ahold of them about it, with the possibility of
>> > having them banned from our lists as a result of inaction?
>>
>> I have a call in with Robert Hodges. We have a good relationship. I
>> will speak with him.
>
> Didn't you *just* say, in this thread, that he's the wrong guy to
> contact for this kind of thing?

LOL. I didn't spot that :-)

--

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:01:15AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 08:57 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a call in with Robert Hodges. We have a good
> > > relationship. I will speak with him.
> >
> > Didn't you *just* say, in this thread, that he's the wrong guy to
> > contact for this kind of thing?
>
> I don't expect Robert to fix it. I expect Robert to get me on the
> line with the right guy.
>
> Come on people, good lord.

No, *you* come on.

This company has a long, consistent, and bad track record as far as
unsolicited contacts for commercial stuff, i.e. spam.  Unless we're
going to turn our lists over to spammers, that track record needs to
have real, serious consequences.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:08 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> > Come on people, good lord.
>
> No, *you* come on.
>
> This company has a long, consistent, and bad track record as far as
> unsolicited contacts for commercial stuff, i.e. spam.  Unless we're
> going to turn our lists over to spammers, that track record needs to
> have real, serious consequences.

No. You are jumping a cliff here.

Your personal spam problems are not a .Org problem. You got a problem
deal with it on your own personal spam solution.

Continuent did NOTHING WRONG (from a .Org perspective). They sent a
single announcement to -announce. A Moderated list. A moderator deemed
it was not appropriate. It was rejected. Exactly how it is supposed to
be.

Now please, get off your soap box, adjust your spam filter and do
something productive with your day.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
If you want shit to roll downhill, you have to start at the Top?

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:22:56AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:08 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>
> > > Come on people, good lord.
> >
> > No, *you* come on.
> >
> > This company has a long, consistent, and bad track record as far as
> > unsolicited contacts for commercial stuff, i.e. spam.  Unless we're
> > going to turn our lists over to spammers, that track record needs to
> > have real, serious consequences.
>
> No. You are jumping a cliff here.

Nope.  So far, you're the only person in this discussion who appears
to think they should get a free pass.  All others range from "ban
immediately" to "see whether they misbehave yet again."

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 10:23 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> > > No, *you* come on.
> > >
> > > This company has a long, consistent, and bad track record as far as
> > > unsolicited contacts for commercial stuff, i.e. spam.  Unless we're
> > > going to turn our lists over to spammers, that track record needs to
> > > have real, serious consequences.
> >
> > No. You are jumping a cliff here.
>
> Nope.  So far, you're the only person in this discussion who appears
> to think they should get a free pass.  All others range from "ban
> immediately" to "see whether they misbehave yet again."

Interesting how you completely ignored the fact at hand. They have no
offense against .Org. Just specific (and very few) individuals who
happen to contribute to .Org.

.Org is not the weight behind your SPAM complaints. You will need a
different bully against that foe.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
> Interesting how you completely ignored the fact at hand. They have no
> offense against .Org. Just specific (and very few) individuals who
> happen to contribute to .Org.

Let me point out that Continuent also has contributed code, sponsored
hacking, sponsored events, and I'm about to ask them to buy pizza for
SFPUG next month, as they have in the past, and which you have eaten.  I
think that outweighs a little spam, especially when they realize they
have a spam problem and have improved.  Have a sense of proportion, David.

Frankly, their spam issue is hurting them more than it does anyone else;
their PR dept frequently and repeatedly announces products which haven't
been released yet (Tungsten, anyone?).  Given that level of pathology,
I'm more inclined to sympathize with Eero than chastise him.  No doubt
their PR firm was picked by the VCs and neither Eero not Robert have any
real control over them.

BTW, most likely you got on the Continuent spam list by attending a
conference such as LinuxWorld.  I know I did.  Just unsuscribe.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> .Org is not the weight behind your SPAM complaints. You will need a
> different bully against that foe.

I think JD has this one right.  There may or may not be a reason to
ban Continuent (or anyone else) from our mailing lists, but the fact
that they've sent spam to David Fetter in his personal capacity is not
it.

--
Robert Haas

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> .Org is not the weight behind your SPAM complaints. You will need a
>> different bully against that foe.
>
> I think JD has this one right.  There may or may not be a reason to
> ban Continuent (or anyone else) from our mailing lists, but the fact
> that they've sent spam to David Fetter in his personal capacity is not
> it.

+1

--

Date:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> .Org is not the weight behind your SPAM complaints. You will need a
>>> different bully against that foe.
>>
>> I think JD has this one right.  There may or may not be a reason to
>> ban Continuent (or anyone else) from our mailing lists, but the fact
>> that they've sent spam to David Fetter in his personal capacity is not
>> it.
>
> +1

+1

----

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 04:30:05PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > .Org is not the weight behind your SPAM complaints. You will need a
> > different bully against that foe.
>
> I think JD has this one right.  There may or may not be a reason to
> ban Continuent (or anyone else) from our mailing lists, but the fact
> that they've sent spam to David Fetter in his personal capacity is not
> it.

For future reference, what *would* be a sufficient reason?  I have
this feeling that this situation will recur, even if this particular
outfit decides to play nice, so we might as well knock together some
criteria in advance.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 04:30:05PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> > .Org is not the weight behind your SPAM complaints. You will need a
>> > different bully against that foe.
>>
>> I think JD has this one right.  There may or may not be a reason to
>> ban Continuent (or anyone else) from our mailing lists, but the fact
>> that they've sent spam to David Fetter in his personal capacity is not
>> it.
>
> For future reference, what *would* be a sufficient reason?  I have
> this feeling that this situation will recur, even if this particular
> outfit decides to play nice, so we might as well knock together some
> criteria in advance.

I presume that would be if they were spamming *the lists*, rather than
some individual.

--
Robert Haas

Date:

Date:

Date:

--

Date:

--

Date:

--

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you considered using their nice link:
>>

> I have. And I've had Robert remove me from their lists on numerous
> occasions, yet I still keep getting spammed.

Thanks for the report.  I've been on the receiving end of way too many
excessive spam vigilante blacklists to start suggesting a ban on someone
without at least getting a confirmation that their unsubscribe link
doesn't work from someone who's tried it.  One of my outgoing mail
servers is back on Spamhaus's list again this week, after they banned a
whole /24 block at the ISP over one hosting account that sent out a
single message.  Really don't want to be that rude if someone's only sin
is aggressively getting mailing lists worth of people from sources like
conferences, who we all know perfectly well are perfectly capable of
selling all our data.

I think they need to institutionalize the permanent blacklist at
Continuent:  once you're on it, you never get a message again even if
your name comes back up via a new source.  This is a different concept
from the "we'll remove you if you ask" concept, which is ripe with
opportunities to just get signed right back up again when new list
sources appear.

Date: