Web team help for beta release

From
Josh Berkus
WWW team:

I need someone to take responsibility for the following for the upcoming
beta release:

1. Drafting a new developer/beta page
2. Creating a home page balloon update
3. Checking my news item for html brokenness
4. Deploying updates to web page at 12:00:00 UTC Monday May 3(including approving news item)

Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.  Thanks!

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Josh Berkus
> I need someone to take responsibility for the following for the upcoming
> beta release:
>
> 1. Drafting a new developer/beta page
> 2. Creating a home page balloon update
> 3. Checking my news item for html brokenness
> 4. Deploying updates to web page at 12:00:00 UTC Monday May 3
>     (including approving news item)
>
> Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.  Thanks!

HEY!  Release is soon.  I haven't seen anyone take responsibility for
(1,2,4).  Hello?

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/10 12:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> WWW team:
>>
>> I need someone to take responsibility for the following for the upcoming
>> beta release:
>>
>> 1. Drafting a new developer/beta page
>> 2. Creating a home page balloon update
>> 3. Checking my news item for html brokenness
>> 4. Deploying updates to web page at 12:00:00 UTC Monday May 3
>>       (including approving news item)
>>
>> Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.  Thanks!
>
> HEY!  Release is soon.  I haven't seen anyone take responsibility for
> (1,2,4).  Hello?

I can help with everything except #4.  I have time early morning
tomorrow until 11am.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/10 12:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> WWW team:
>>
>> I need someone to take responsibility for the following for the upcoming
>> beta release:
>>
>> 1. Drafting a new developer/beta page
>> 2. Creating a home page balloon update
>> 3. Checking my news item for html brokenness
>> 4. Deploying updates to web page at 12:00:00 UTC Monday May 3
>>       (including approving news item)
>>
>> Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.  Thanks!
>
> HEY!  Release is soon.  I haven't seen anyone take responsibility for
> (1,2,4).  Hello?

I'm travelling - sorry.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 00:56, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> On 4/29/10 12:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> WWW team:
>>>
>>> I need someone to take responsibility for the following for the upcoming
>>> beta release:
>>>
>>> 1. Drafting a new developer/beta page
>>> 2. Creating a home page balloon update
>>> 3. Checking my news item for html brokenness
>>> 4. Deploying updates to web page at 12:00:00 UTC Monday May 3
>>>       (including approving news item)
>>>
>>> Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.  Thanks!
>>
>> HEY!  Release is soon.  I haven't seen anyone take responsibility for
>> (1,2,4).  Hello?
>
> I can help with everything except #4.  I have time early morning
> tomorrow until 11am.

I can take care of #4 on monday if someone has done 1-3. Not around
this weekend t help with those.

Oh, and while I have no idea why we changed the time for deploying
updates, I'll just add that this time suits me a lot better than the
usual one :-)

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 15:54 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.
> Thanks!
>
> HEY!  Release is soon.  I haven't seen anyone take responsibility for
> (1,2,4).  Hello?

Unless Magnus, Dave or Robert steps up the plate, I can do each part,
including commits.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> On 4/29/10 12:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> WWW team:
>>>
>>> I need someone to take responsibility for the following for the upcoming
>>> beta release:
>>>
>>> 1. Drafting a new developer/beta page
>>> 2. Creating a home page balloon update
>>> 3. Checking my news item for html brokenness
>>> 4. Deploying updates to web page at 12:00:00 UTC Monday May 3
>>>       (including approving news item)
>>>
>>> Please let me know who can be responsible for each of these things.  Thanks!
>> HEY!  Release is soon.  I haven't seen anyone take responsibility for
>> (1,2,4).  Hello?
>
> I can help with everything except #4.  I have time early morning
> tomorrow until 11am.

I'm away for the weekend, though I could spare some time monday morning
for deploying to the website if nobody else steps up...

Stefan

Date:

http://etherpad.opensourcebridge.org/postgresql-beta-release-info

>> 2. Creating a home page balloon update

http://etherpad.opensourcebridge.org/postgresql-beta-release-balloon

I'll add links once we agree on text.

It's an etherpad, so feel free to edit. :)

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Selena,

These look mostly good to me.  I say mostly because apparently etherpad
crashes my browser, so I can't read the whole thing.

Is there a link to the alphabeta testing info page on the wiki?

If so, I think we're good to go.  Devrim, can you take Selena's text and
queue it up to be home page/beta page updates?  Can Stefan do final
deployment, or does Devrim need to do it if he queued it?

Date:

http://devrim.webdev.postgresql.org/developer/beta

> >> 2. Creating a home page balloon update

> http://etherpad.opensourcebridge.org/postgresql-beta-release-balloon

http://devrim.webdev.postgresql.org/

> I'll add links once we agree on text.

I added links. Could you please confirm that texts and links are both
ok?

Date:
On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 12:25 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Devrim, can you take Selena's text and  queue it up to be home
> page/beta page updates?

Just sent links to this list.

>  Can Stefan do final deployment, or does Devrim need to do it if he
> queued it?

I can do, if needed. When should I/we approve news item and commit
changes to website?
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://etherpad.opensourcebridge.org/postgresql-beta-release-balloon

The phrase "read-only replication" reads oddly to me.  Isn't the
normal term "single master"?

...Robert

Date:
> The phrase "read-only replication" reads oddly to me.  Isn't the
> normal term "single master"?

I've been using the phrase "binary replication" which is what's really new.

Date:
> I added links. Could you please confirm that texts and links are both
> ok?

Links check out for me.  Thanks, Devrim, Selena!

Date:
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> The phrase "read-only replication" reads oddly to me.  Isn't the
>> normal term "single master"?
>
> I've been using the phrase "binary replication" which is what's really new.

Let's keep things consistent then :)

Devrim - can you switch the 'read-only' replication to say 'binary'
replication?

thanks,
-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Date:
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> The phrase "read-only replication" reads oddly to me.  Isn't the
>> normal term "single master"?
>
> I've been using the phrase "binary replication" which is what's really new.

As opposed to what? ASCII replication?

...Robert

Re: Web team help for beta release

Date:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> The phrase "read-only replication" reads oddly to me. �Isn't the
>>> normal term "single master"?
>>
>> I've been using the phrase "binary replication" which is what's really new.

> As opposed to what? ASCII replication?

It's not the replication that's read-only, it's the queries executed on
the slaves.  I haven't read the proposed docs but it sounds like this
is confusing two features that would be better explained separately,
viz

* built-in simple replication

* ability to execute read-only queries on a replication slave server

(in this context, "simple" really means "all or nothing", as compared
to stuff like Slony that can replicate subsets of a database)
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> I've been using the phrase "binary replication" which is what's really new.
>
>> As opposed to what? ASCII replication?
>
> It's not the replication that's read-only, it's the queries executed on
> the slaves.  I haven't read the proposed docs but it sounds like this
> is confusing two features that would be better explained separately,
> viz
>
> * built-in simple replication
>
> * ability to execute read-only queries on a replication slave server
>
> (in this context, "simple" really means "all or nothing", as compared
> to stuff like Slony that can replicate subsets of a database)

I like that. Even though it means a bit more explanation, I think it
is very clear. Update:

Date:
On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 13:08 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> I like that. Even though it means a bit more explanation, I think it
> is very clear. Update:
>
> http://etherpad.opensourcebridge.org/postgresql-beta-release-balloon

Updated:

Date:
> As opposed to what? ASCII replication?

As opposed to logical, row-based replication (which is what Slony,
Londiste and Bucardo do) or statement-based replication (which is what
pgPool and Continuent do).

The existing solutions we have are all "logical" replication solutions,
which means that they function at the level of query logic.  WAL-based
replication is "binary", which means that it operates at the file level
and doesn't care about query logic.

Anyway, what we have on Devrim's draft now seems fine, we should run
with it.

Date:
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Anyway, what we have on Devrim's draft now seems fine, we should run with
> it.

I agree - I like the present version.

...Robert

Date:
On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 19:09 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Anyway, what we have on Devrim's draft now seems fine, we should run
> with it.

*When* should I commit the changes?

Date:
2010/5/3 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 19:09 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Anyway, what we have on Devrim's draft now seems fine, we should run
>> with it.
>
> *When* should I commit the changes?

So who is actually doing what?

I said I could do the on-release stuff before I left for the weekend,
but it seems that someone else is now doing that? But which parts?
Web/docs/news? Am I supposed to do any of it still?

FYI, Devrim, what was said back then was that I was supposed to do it
at 12:00 UTC. I assume that applies to you as well.

Re: Web team help for beta release

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 10:15 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> So who is actually doing what?
>
> I said I could do the on-release stuff before I left for the weekend,
> but it seems that someone else is now doing that? But which parts?
> Web/docs/news? Am I supposed to do any of it still?

I cannot do the docs part. News+Web is already done. We can talk on IM
in order to coordinate things, if you want. Or say, feel free to commit
the changes. They are at pentarus, under my home directory (~/www/...)

> FYI, Devrim, what was said back then was that I was supposed to do it
> at 12:00 UTC. I assume that applies to you as well.

Ok, I think I missed that. Thanks.

Date:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 10:15 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> FYI, Devrim, what was said back then was that I was supposed to do it
> at 12:00 UTC. I assume that applies to you as well.

Website done.
--

Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 10:15 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> FYI, Devrim, what was said back then was that I was supposed to do it
>> at 12:00 UTC. I assume that applies to you as well.
>
> Website done.

looks like the news linked in the announcement is either the wrong one
or has not been approved yet - is this on purpose?

Stefan

Date:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 15:23 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > Website done.

> looks like the news linked in the announcement is either the wrong
> one
> or has not been approved yet - is this on purpose?

Just approved news item. It will sync in a few minutes.
--

Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 15:23 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> Website done.
>
>> looks like the news linked in the announcement is either the wrong
>> one
>> or has not been approved yet - is this on purpose?
>
> Just approved news item. It will sync in a few minutes.
+
thanks - what about the broken "Binaries for other platforms"  link to
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.0beta1 in the release notes?
what kind of binaries should we actually have there?

Stefan

Date:
2010/5/3 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

>>> looks like the news linked in the announcement is either the wrong
>>> one or has not been approved yet - is this on purpose?
>>
>> Just approved news item. It will sync in a few minutes.
>
> +
> thanks - what about the broken "Binaries for other platforms"  link to
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.0beta1 in the release notes? what
> kind of binaries should we actually have there?

Linux RPMs and Solaris tarballs.

Date:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 16:05 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> thanks - what about the broken "Binaries for other platforms"  link to
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.0beta1 in the release notes?

Well, I thought Dave created it before me, but apparently this time I
forgot that Windows binaries are not there, so I created directories and
started uploading files.

> what kind of binaries should we actually have there?

What Magnus said.

--

Date:
On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 07:28 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 16:05 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > thanks - what about the broken "Binaries for other platforms"  link
> > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.0beta1 in the release
> notes?
>
> Well, I thought Dave created it before me, but apparently this time I
> forgot that Windows binaries are not there, so I created directories
> and
> started uploading files.

Also sorry for the problems that happened this time. It was my first
website update before a release -- thanks Magnus and Dave for helping
me.
--

Date:
> Also sorry for the problems that happened this time. It was my first
> website update before a release -- thanks Magnus and Dave for helping
> me.

I didn't get any complaints from users, and that's what counts.  Thanks
so much for help!