wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Alan McKay
Date:
Hey folks,

I know in theory it is a wiki and I'm free to do this if I want, but I
am new around here and figured it is best to ask first :-)

I'd like to create a page for PG Con 2009 with basically the agenda
for the week and then from there links to notes - some of which are
already up. e.g. Greg's notes from his excellent lecture

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009/Greg_Smith_Hardware_Benchmarking_notes

Based on his naming convention I would like to create the page

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009

I'm also wondering about the following - is there any utility in
allowing people to post their own notes from a given lecture?  e.g. i
have notes I took from Greg's and others.  I was thinking that at the
bottom of his page I could create links to other people's notes if
there were anyone like me who'd care to type them in.  Not that I
don't like his notes of course :-), but there is invariably always
something discussed that are not in the notes, and this might be a way
to capture it.  Of course the reader would have to beware that the
person who took the notes may not have been paying attention very well
:-)   Just a thought in any case.

Thanks all for a truly excellent PG Con!

cheers,
-Alan

--
“Mother Nature doesn’t do bailouts.”        - Glenn Prickett

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

Date:
Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> writes:
> Hey folks,
> I know in theory it is a wiki and I'm free to do this if I want, but I
> am new around here and figured it is best to ask first :-)

> I'd like to create a page for PG Con 2009 with basically the agenda
> for the week and then from there links to notes - some of which are
> already up. e.g. Greg's notes from his excellent lecture
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009/Greg_Smith_Hardware_Benchmarking_notes

> Based on his naming convention I would like to create the page
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009

Seems like there's no objections, so have at it.  You might want to
talk to Dan Langille (the conference organizer) to see if he has any
suggestions or concerns.  I doubt he reads this list ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, 25 May 2009, Alan McKay wrote:

> Of course the reader would have to beware that the person who took the
> notes may not have been paying attention very well :-)

I'm pretty sure this Greg Smith character is the sort who will fix blatant
errors in the notes should they get introduced.

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
Hi!

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on his naming convention I would like to create the page
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009

I see that someone has created the page.  Maybe you? :)

> I'm also wondering about the following - is there any utility in
> allowing people to post their own notes from a given lecture?

No utility, but feel free to add information to the existing notes, or
create new pages. That's the cool thing about the wiki -- you are free
to add and collaborate, and your revisions are public. If someone has
a problem with what you change, they'll be able to contact you.

> there were anyone like me who'd care to type them in.  Not that I
> don't like his notes of course :-), but there is invariably always
> something discussed that are not in the notes, and this might be a way
> to capture it.

And, Greg didn't take those particular notes. I did :D

So, feel free to update/correct any part of it. I took them during the
session, and haven't gone back to edit yet. I appreciate anyone's help
in making the notes more readable, or by adding other things that came
up during the discussion :)

Adding links back to the pgcon.org pages that correspond to the
sessions would be nice, as well as the links to video of the
presentations.  The pgcon.org site will have links to the original
presentation files.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Alan McKay
Date:
> I see that someone has created the page.  Maybe you? :)

Yes, just poked a few things in there so far.  And formatting is still
up in the air

> And, Greg didn't take those particular notes. I did :D

Aha, I had not noticed that.  I see on the PG Con site a link to his
slides so I'll link to that as well.   So I'll use my notes to enhance
yours, in that case.

> Adding links back to the pgcon.org pages that correspond to the
> sessions would be nice, as well as the links to video of the
> presentations.  The pgcon.org site will have links to the original
> presentation files.

Yeah, I'd already started linking back and will set up more links as I
update the page more in the next few days.

BTW, just for the sake of putting 2 and 2 together you know me as
"bushidoka" on twitter and your blog if I'm not mistaken.

cheers,
-Alan

--
“Mother Nature doesn’t do bailouts.”        - Glenn Prickett

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see that someone has created the page.  Maybe you? :)
>
> Yes, just poked a few things in there so far.  And formatting is still
> up in the air

FYI, I also added a page to the presentations section, to list the
slides etc (please add more folks). I imagine your page will
eventually contain much more detail than my simple index though.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGCon%2C_Ottawa_2009

--
Dave Page

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Alan McKay
Date:
> FYI, I also added a page to the presentations section, to list the
> slides etc (please add more folks). I imagine your page will
> eventually contain much more detail than my simple index though.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGCon%2C_Ottawa_2009

Dave, I think we are working cross-purposes here.

i.e. I think both of these pages serve the same purpose.

--

Date:
On Tue, 26 May 2009, Alan McKay wrote:

>> FYI, I also added a page to the presentations section, to list the
>> slides etc (please add more folks). I imagine your page will
>> eventually contain much more detail than my simple index though.
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGCon%2C_Ottawa_2009
>
> Dave, I think we are working cross-purposes here.
> i.e. I think both of these pages serve the same purpose.

Right.  What I just did is merge the content you put into
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009 and then redirected that page.
The one Dave created wins here because there are a couple of conferences
around the world that might be called "PGCon" in 2009, for example in 2008
there was a PGCon in Ottawa and in Brazil (note that those two are not
from the same organizer).  This is why Dave's version is named "PGCon,
Ottawa 2009", to avoid any ambiguity here.

Re: wiki page for PG Con 2009?

From
Alan McKay
Date:
> Right.  What I just did is merge the content you put into
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009 and then redirected that page.
> The one Dave created wins here because there are a couple of conferences
> around the world that might be called "PGCon" in 2009, for example in 2008
> there was a PGCon in Ottawa and in Brazil (note that those two are not from
> the same organizer).  This is why Dave's version is named "PGCon, Ottawa
> 2009", to avoid any ambiguity here.

Makes sense!

--

Date:
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> FYI, I also added a page to the presentations section, to list the
>> slides etc (please add more folks). I imagine your page will
>> eventually contain much more detail than my simple index though.
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGCon%2C_Ottawa_2009
>
> Dave, I think we are working cross-purposes here.
>
> i.e. I think both of these pages serve the same purpose.

Well, there's certainly an intersection, but it seemed to me you were
going to add some notes and other useful stuff. The page I put there
is just the usual index of links to the slides that we try to put for
all conferences, in the standard format. I'm fine with merging though,
if you're not adding masses of extra info.

--
Dave Page