Problem with archives search

Date:
Why is this email not showing up in archives search?
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php

I tried searching for its subject "Identifier case folding notes" using:
http://search.postgresql.org/search?m=1&q=Identifier+case+folding+notes&l=&d=&s=

but it didn't show the email.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Problem with archives search

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Why is this email not showing up in archives search?
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php

I think the search archiving is dead because of an encoding problem in
an email on the Russian list.  However, the one to fix it is out in the
sea somewhere.

At least, that was how it was last week.  I'm not sure if anything
has happened since.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Why is this email not showing up in archives search?
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php

BTW if you already have the email you're looking for, why do you waste
time with search?  It is easier to grab it by Message-Id.

Re: Problem with archives search

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Why is this email not showing up in archives search?
> >
> >     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php
>
> BTW if you already have the email you're looking for, why do you waste
> time with search?  It is easier to grab it by Message-Id.

OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.  Also, I want the
regular URL rather than the message id URL for the TODO list (because
the regular URL has a month stamp) so it is easier to just search it.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Why is this email not showing up in archives search?
> > >
> > >     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php
> >
> > BTW if you already have the email you're looking for, why do you waste
> > time with search?  It is easier to grab it by Message-Id.
>
> OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.

archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

> Also, I want the regular URL rather than the message id URL for the
> TODO list (because the regular URL has a month stamp) so it is easier
> to just search it.

Hmm, that seems a rather pointless requirement, but if you want that,
you can go to the "thread index" from the message links at the bottom,
and then reopen the message from there.  That'll get you the other URL.

Re: Problem with archives search

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > BTW if you already have the email you're looking for, why do you waste
> > > time with search?  It is easier to grab it by Message-Id.
> >
> > OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.
>
> archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

Is this documented anywhere?

> > Also, I want the regular URL rather than the message id URL for the
> > TODO list (because the regular URL has a month stamp) so it is easier
> > to just search it.
>
> Hmm, that seems a rather pointless requirement, but if you want that,
> you can go to the "thread index" from the message links at the bottom,
> and then reopen the message from there.  That'll get you the other URL.

Yea, that's what I have done in the past.

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.

> archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

[ I fear I'm exposing my lack of HTML-fu here ]

I'd like to be able to paste a message ID into a form on my home page
and end up at the correct URL, but the only way I know to do that
involves <form method="get"> which insists on sticking "?fieldname="
in there somewhere.  Is there another simple way, or do we have an
alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Problem with archives search

From
dpage@pgadmin.org
Date:
'scuse the top post.

Afaik it should be indexing. I bypassed the first few messages when
the problem first arose, and talked jd through the same fix the next
day. Nagios hasn't complained since to my knowledge.

/d

On 7/14/08, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Why is this email not showing up in archives search?
>>
>>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php
>
> I think the search archiving is dead because of an encoding problem in
> an email on the Russian list.  However, the one to fix it is out in the
> sea somewhere.
>
> At least, that was how it was last week.  I'm not sure if anything
> has happened since.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Dave Page

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.
>
> > archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>
>
> [ I fear I'm exposing my lack of HTML-fu here ]
>
> I'd like to be able to paste a message ID into a form on my home page
> and end up at the correct URL, but the only way I know to do that
> involves <form method="get"> which insists on sticking "?fieldname="
> in there somewhere.  Is there another simple way, or do we have an
> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

Hmm, I'm not very much versed in HTML either.

What I did was create a "smart bookmark" in my browser that allows me to
paste the message-id and then select "Pgsql Message by ID" from a
dropdown list of actions (other actions being search in Google,
search.postgresql.org, Merriam-Webster, etc).  Would that work for you?

Another way could be to create a small program that takes
http://sss.pgh.pa.us/foo?message-id=whatever@momjian.us and redirects to
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/whatever@momjian.us

Maybe there are better ways.

Re: Problem with archives search

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 3:16p -0400 on Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'd like to be able to paste a message ID into a form on my home page
> and end up at the correct URL, but the only way I know to do that
> involves <form method="get"> which insists on sticking "?fieldname="
> in there somewhere.  Is there another simple way, or do we have an
> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

Yeah, all variables in an HTML form are put after a ? in a GET request.
 You'll either have to write yourself something server side, or get some
Javascript to do it for you.

[... time passes ...]

It ain't pretty and it ain't cross-browser compatible, but it was quick.
 Tested in Ubuntu, FF3.  I tried to annotate it so you can personalize
it, whatevs.

Enjoy,

Kevin

Re: Problem with archives search

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Montag, 14. Juli 2008 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
> Another way could be to create a small program that takes
> http://sss.pgh.pa.us/foo?message-id=whatever@momjian.us and redirects to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/whatever@momjian.us

Or you put an analogous redirect onto the web server for archives.p.o.

Tom Lane wrote:

> I'd like to be able to paste a message ID into a form on my home page
> and end up at the correct URL, but the only way I know to do that
> involves <form method="get"> which insists on sticking "?fieldname="
> in there somewhere.  Is there another simple way, or do we have an
> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

BTW I neglected to followup on this when I added the message-id search
capability on archives.  You can now use this URL:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-by-id.php?q=SOME-MESSAGE-ID

Re: Problem with archives search

Date:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to paste a message ID into a form on my home page
>> and end up at the correct URL, but the only way I know to do that
>> involves <form method="get"> which insists on sticking "?fieldname="
>> in there somewhere.  Is there another simple way, or do we have an
>> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

> BTW I neglected to followup on this when I added the message-id search
> capability on archives.  You can now use this URL:

> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-by-id.php?q=SOME-MESSAGE-ID

Works nicely, thanks!
        regards, tom lane