Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW team,

In an effort to make PostgreSQL accessory projects more visible, I'd like
to start including the newsbytes from the pgfoundry main page in the
www.PostgreSQL.org news ticker.  Probably the best way to do this is
direct database pull.  Anyone have time to hack something up?

Also, any reason not to do this?  Just so you know, I do edit the newsbytes
for relevance and brevity.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 15:39 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> In an effort to make PostgreSQL accessory projects more visible, I'd like
> to start including the newsbytes from the pgfoundry main page in the
> www.PostgreSQL.org news ticker.  Probably the best way to do this is
> direct database pull.  Anyone have time to hack something up?

Only really interested if someone puts together an ATOM feed of the
news.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Only really interested if someone puts together an ATOM feed of the
> news.

You're aware of the limitations of Gforge.  Be realistic.

--

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:57 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Only really interested if someone puts together an ATOM feed of the
> > news.
>
> You're aware of the limitations of Gforge.  Be realistic.

I am :) you already brought up a direct database pull. We can just
change that to:

A cron that creates an ATOM file from a direct database pull.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> In an effort to make PostgreSQL accessory projects more visible, I'd like
> to start including the newsbytes from the pgfoundry main page in the
> www.PostgreSQL.org news ticker.  Probably the best way to do this is
> direct database pull.  Anyone have time to hack something up?
>
> Also, any reason not to do this?  Just so you know, I do edit the newsbytes
> for relevance and brevity.

I would not like to add a direct dependency on the pgfoundry database,
given the track record that pgfoundry has for uptime.

I'd like to see some kind of RSS feed, because we already deal with
caching of them there. That way, the main website will survive the
regular pgfoundry outages (at worst it'll cache an empty file, and leave
the pgfoundry list empty).

Oh, and you need to figure out a way to integrate it nicely: see thread
of a couple of days ago about adding more stuff to the frontpage. (No, I
don't think mergeing it it with the "main news" functionality is a good
idea - at least not unless we moderate it...)

//Magnus

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> WWW team,
>>
>> In an effort to make PostgreSQL accessory projects more visible, I'd like
>> to start including the newsbytes from the pgfoundry main page in the
>> www.PostgreSQL.org news ticker.  Probably the best way to do this is
>> direct database pull.  Anyone have time to hack something up?
>>
>> Also, any reason not to do this?  Just so you know, I do edit the newsbytes
>> for relevance and brevity.
>
> I would not like to add a direct dependency on the pgfoundry database,
> given the track record that pgfoundry has for uptime.
>
> I'd like to see some kind of RSS feed, because we already deal with
> caching of them there. That way, the main website will survive the
> regular pgfoundry outages (at worst it'll cache an empty file, and leave
> the pgfoundry list empty).

yeah - rss feed is the way to go if we want this

> Oh, and you need to figure out a way to integrate it nicely: see thread
> of a couple of days ago about adding more stuff to the frontpage. (No, I
> don't think mergeing it it with the "main news" functionality is a good
> idea - at least not unless we moderate it...)

iirc the pgfoundry main page news are already moderated - but we would
still have to find a solution to the integration problem.

Stefan

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

>> I would not like to add a direct dependency on the pgfoundry database,
>> given the track record that pgfoundry has for uptime.

Yeah - what's the status on that new server JD?

>> I'd like to see some kind of RSS feed, because we already deal with
>> caching of them there. That way, the main website will survive the
>> regular pgfoundry outages (at worst it'll cache an empty file, and leave
>> the pgfoundry list empty).
>
> yeah - rss feed is the way to go if we want this

Agreed.

>> Oh, and you need to figure out a way to integrate it nicely: see thread
>> of a couple of days ago about adding more stuff to the frontpage. (No, I
>> don't think mergeing it it with the "main news" functionality is a good
>> idea - at least not unless we moderate it...)
>
> iirc the pgfoundry main page news are already moderated - but we would still
> have to find a solution to the integration problem.

I'm not convinced that merging them is such a hot idea anyway. It will
likely seriously reduce the amount of time any announcement gets front
page time which will in turn reduce the usefulness of the section.
Further, we then have a potential problem ensuring we don't get
duplicate items when one gets approved on www and subsequently on
pgFoundry. That of course, applies whether we merge the feed with the
existing news, or add it as a new section (ignoring the layout issues
that would involve!)

--
Dave Page

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 10 June 2008 03:58:40 Dave Page wrote:
> I'm not convinced that merging them is such a hot idea anyway. It will
> likely seriously reduce the amount of time any announcement gets front
> page time which will in turn reduce the usefulness of the section.
> Further, we then have a potential problem ensuring we don't get
> duplicate items when one gets approved on www and subsequently on
> pgFoundry. That of course, applies whether we merge the feed with the
> existing news, or add it as a new section (ignoring the layout issues
> that would involve!)

The other concern that I have is that this gives even less face time to core
project related news, which already has a hard time getting exposure. Things
like minor releases, project events (beta/gsoc), and large community
gatherings (oscon/pgcon) get at best limited exposure and that's if aren't
just lumped in with everything else.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
> The other concern that I have is that this gives even less face time to core
> project related news, which already has a hard time getting exposure. Things
> like minor releases, project events (beta/gsoc), and large community
> gatherings (oscon/pgcon) get at best limited exposure and that's if aren't
> just lumped in with everything else.

What if we merge them with the blog stream, then?

--Josh

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:58 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 03:58:40 Dave Page wrote:
> > I'm not convinced that merging them is such a hot idea anyway. It will
> > likely seriously reduce the amount of time any announcement gets front
> > page time which will in turn reduce the usefulness of the section.
> > Further, we then have a potential problem ensuring we don't get
> > duplicate items when one gets approved on www and subsequently on
> > pgFoundry. That of course, applies whether we merge the feed with the
> > existing news, or add it as a new section (ignoring the layout issues
> > that would involve!)
> >

> The other concern that I have is that this gives even less face time to core
> project related news, which already has a hard time getting exposure. Things
> like minor releases, project events (beta/gsoc), and large community
> gatherings (oscon/pgcon) get at best limited exposure and that's if aren't
> just lumped in with everything else.

OSCON and PGCON are responsible for their own promotion. As pgfoundry is
an official PostgreSQL supported project, it deserves more face time
than either of those two. One option would be to have:

PostgreSQL News* Core* PgFoundry* Releases

Related News* OSCON* PgCon* West* East

etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:16 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > The other concern that I have is that this gives even less face time to core
> > project related news, which already has a hard time getting exposure. Things
> > like minor releases, project events (beta/gsoc), and large community
> > gatherings (oscon/pgcon) get at best limited exposure and that's if aren't
> > just lumped in with everything else.
> >

> What if we merge them with the blog stream, then?

That would be reasonable if we could get some kind of ATOM output. We
already give a lot of space to planet.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Wednesday 11 June 2008 23:20:45 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:58 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 June 2008 03:58:40 Dave Page wrote:
> > > I'm not convinced that merging them is such a hot idea anyway. It will
> > > likely seriously reduce the amount of time any announcement gets front
> > > page time which will in turn reduce the usefulness of the section.
> > > Further, we then have a potential problem ensuring we don't get
> > > duplicate items when one gets approved on www and subsequently on
> > > pgFoundry. That of course, applies whether we merge the feed with the
> > > existing news, or add it as a new section (ignoring the layout issues
> > > that would involve!)
> >
> > The other concern that I have is that this gives even less face time to
> > core project related news, which already has a hard time getting
> > exposure. Things like minor releases, project events (beta/gsoc), and
> > large community gatherings (oscon/pgcon) get at best limited exposure and
> > that's if aren't just lumped in with everything else.
>
> OSCON and PGCON are responsible for their own promotion. As pgfoundry is
> an official PostgreSQL supported project, it deserves more face time
> than either of those two. One option would be to have:

Thats the kind of thinking that helps keep the postgresql community small. We
should be promoting those events that rally our existing community and help
raise exposure for Postgres outside of the community, no matter who runs
them.

--
Robert Treat

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:26 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008 23:20:45 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:58 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 10 June 2008 03:58:40 Dave Page wrote:

> > OSCON and PGCON are responsible for their own promotion. As pgfoundry is
> > an official PostgreSQL supported project, it deserves more face time
> > than either of those two. One option would be to have:

>  We
> should be promoting those events that rally our existing community and help
> raise exposure for Postgres outside of the community, no matter who runs
> them.

Uhh yeah... O.k. then I want CMD to have a big splash across the screen,
let's not forget EDB and Truviso. :P

Seriously though, I wasn't suggesting we not list OSCON or PGCON, but
they can be listed in events and news and they can blog and we can grab
their feeds, we don't need to give them "special" attention.

Special attention should be limited specifically to community. That is
how you are going to drive a larger community, by reinforcing the
community itself. Not by becoming advertising space.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> Special attention should be limited specifically to community. That is
> how you are going to drive a larger community, by reinforcing the
> community itself. Not by becoming advertising space.

Can we *please* get back on topic here?  Absolutely none of this is relevant
to a pgfoundry feed.

First, I wasn't proposing merging pgfoundry news with *events* (which only has
3 slots) but with *news* (which has 6).  Right now, 3 of those slots are
taken up by commercial products; don't you think it's fair that pgFoundry
projects should bump them?  If we have a problem with core release
announcements scrolling off too fast, isn't that a *code* problem for the WWW
team to solve?

The pgfoundry team can easily regulate the volume of pgfoundry traffic that
gets passed on.

--

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:22 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > Special attention should be limited specifically to community. That is
> > how you are going to drive a larger community, by reinforcing the
> > community itself. Not by becoming advertising space.
>
> Can we *please* get back on topic here?  Absolutely none of this is relevant
> to a pgfoundry feed.

Well yes it is, if you want a feed to show up on the website.

> First, I wasn't proposing merging pgfoundry news with *events* (which only has
> 3 slots) but with *news* (which has 6).  Right now, 3 of those slots are
> taken up by commercial products; don't you think it's fair that pgFoundry
> projects should bump them?  If we have a problem with core release

Yes I do, which was my point.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: What should we focus on wrt the home page

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 12 June 2008 13:02:55 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:26 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > >
> > > OSCON and PGCON are responsible for their own promotion. As pgfoundry
> > > is an official PostgreSQL supported project, it deserves more face time
> > > than either of those two. One option would be to have:
> >
> >  We
> > should be promoting those events that rally our existing community and
> > help raise exposure for Postgres outside of the community, no matter who
> > runs them.
>
> Uhh yeah... O.k. then I want CMD to have a big splash across the screen,
> let's not forget EDB and Truviso. :P

Note I said we need to promote the *events*, not the people behind them. If
your going to make attempts at reductio ad absurdum, at least have the
decency to read the posts you respond to.

> Seriously though, I wasn't suggesting we not list OSCON or PGCON, but
> they can be listed in events and news and they can blog and we can grab
> their feeds, we don't need to give them "special" attention.
>
> Special attention should be limited specifically to community. That is
> how you are going to drive a larger community, by reinforcing the
> community itself. Not by becoming advertising space.

PGCon happens to be the largest dedicated gathering of postgresql contributors
in the world, and one of the largest conferences dedicated toward postgresql
in general. (You might know this if you bothered to show up to one :-P  )

Further, when the PostgreSQL project takes part in evetns like OSCon, GSoC, or
LinuxWorld, it helps raise the status of the project outside of our
community.  Because of that, it's in our best interest to make sure as much
of the community can attend these events, so people can see that we have a
large, vibrant community behind the project.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Thursday 12 June 2008 13:22:17 Josh Berkus wrote:
> First, I wasn't proposing merging pgfoundry news with *events* (which only
> has 3 slots) but with *news* (which has 6).  Right now, 3 of those slots
> are taken up by commercial products; don't you think it's fair that
> pgFoundry projects should bump them? If we have a problem with core
> release announcements scrolling off too fast, isn't that a *code* problem
> for the WWW team to solve?

I think it is only a code problem once we decide on a policy we want to use.
Right now we have a few different types of content we promote on the main
page:

core release announcements
other core specific news
project announcements
product announcements
training information
large event information
pug information
blogs

As I see it, promoting core information should be our largest priority, which
would include the top two items.

our next priority should be promoting postgresql to the general populations,
which would include large event and pug informations.

after that we have service level information, which is projects, products, and
training.

now, I left out blogs because they are kind of across the map as far as
content, but based on popularity of them, they should probably be held high
on the list, I'd say somewhere below large event information but above pugs.

looking that list over, istm just aggregating pgfoundry and our current news
feed is the way to go, but there are still a number of areas that should be
addressed, imho.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> pug information

Where?

> As I see it, promoting core information should be our largest priority,
> which would include the top two items.
>
> our next priority should be promoting postgresql to the general
> populations, which would include large event and pug informations.
>
> after that we have service level information, which is projects,
> products, and training.
>
> now, I left out blogs because they are kind of across the map as far as
> content, but based on popularity of them, they should probably be held
> high on the list, I'd say somewhere below large event information but
> above pugs.

Hmmm.  I'd put blogs lower on the list just because their content is less
vetted.

> looking that list over, istm just aggregating pgfoundry and our current
> news feed is the way to go, but there are still a number of areas that
> should be addressed, imho.

Which areas?

--

Date:
On Thursday 12 June 2008 17:46:38 Josh Berkus wrote:
> > As I see it, promoting core information should be our largest priority,
> > which would include the top two items.
> >
> > our next priority should be promoting postgresql to the general
> > populations, which would include large event and pug informations.
> >
> > after that we have service level information, which is projects,
> > products, and training.
> >
> > now, I left out blogs because they are kind of across the map as far as
> > content, but based on popularity of them, they should probably be held
> > high on the list, I'd say somewhere below large event information but
> > above pugs.
>
> Hmmm.  I'd put blogs lower on the list just because their content is less
> vetted.

right, but based on the stats, it's one of the things that draws a lot of
visitors, so I think that counts for something.

> > looking that list over, istm just aggregating pgfoundry and our current
> > news feed is the way to go, but there are still a number of areas that
> > should be addressed, imho.
>
> Which areas?

More focus on core announcements / events, regular pug promotion, highlighting
large community events, and sorting out training (which most seem to agree is
sub-optimal)

--
Robert Treat