Roadmap web page

Date:
Do we need to update the URLs on the roadmap page to point to the wiki
instead?
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Roadmap web page

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Do we need to update the URLs on the roadmap page to point to the wiki
> > instead?
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap
>
> what urls and what wording would you think is appropriate - we could
> either link to
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan or
> include that exact information on the website - or what else do you have
> in mind ?

I would like us to use consistent URLs based on ISO dates rather than
month names, and have a fixed URL that points to the most recent
commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Roadmap web page

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 30 May 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Do we need to update the URLs on the roadmap page to point to the wiki
>>> instead?
>>>
>>>     http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap
>>
>> what urls and what wording would you think is appropriate - we could
>> either link to
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan or
>> include that exact information on the website - or what else do you have
>> in mind ?
>
> I would like us to use consistent URLs based on ISO dates rather than
> month names, and have a fixed URL that points to the most recent
> commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.

So basically what you want here is for CommitFest:July to become
CommitFest:2008-07?  That's pretty reasonable and some ideas in this area
were already tossed around.

There's already a http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest redirect that
is being kept current.

I still think the developer/roadmap page should include a link to a
higher-level view than the CommitFest level.  Linking to specific versions
is a maintenance headache to be avoided though; a link to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information would be
sufficient I think, that's a highly visible page that should always be
kept up to date.

Re: Roadmap web page

From
"Brendan Jurd"
Date:
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> I would like us to use consistent URLs based on ISO dates rather than
> month names, and have a fixed URL that points to the most recent
> commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.

We currently do have a fixed URL that points to the most recent commit-fest:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Roadmap web page

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Do we need to update the URLs on the roadmap page to point to the wiki
> instead?
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap

what urls and what wording would you think is appropriate - we could
either link to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan or
include that exact information on the website - or what else do you have
in mind ?

Stefan

Re: Roadmap web page

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> >> what urls and what wording would you think is appropriate - we could
> >> either link to
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan or
> >> include that exact information on the website - or what else do you have
> >> in mind ?
> >
> > I would like us to use consistent URLs based on ISO dates rather than
> > month names, and have a fixed URL that points to the most recent
> > commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.
>
> So basically what you want here is for CommitFest:July to become
> CommitFest:2008-07?  That's pretty reasonable and some ideas in this area
> were already tossed around.

Yes.

> There's already a http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest redirect that
> is being kept current.

Good.

> I still think the developer/roadmap page should include a link to a
> higher-level view than the CommitFest level.  Linking to specific versions
> is a maintenance headache to be avoided though; a link to
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information would be
> sufficient I think, that's a highly visible page that should always be
> kept up to date.

Agreed.  I was thinking of using the ISO date because it makes sorting
pages in order easier and clearer.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Roadmap web page

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Greg Smith wrote:
>> So basically what you want here is for CommitFest:July to become
>> CommitFest:2008-07?  That's pretty reasonable and some ideas in this area
>> were already tossed around.
>
> Yes.

Done.  All the existing pages were renamed, which automatically made
redirects from the old URLs if anybody had direct ones floating around.

I also did some manual fixes to more prominent pages like
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information , as well as
moving archived info out of there and switching to using the redirect.
There shouldn't be a need to edit that entry page at each CommitFest
anymore.

The main place that shows an immediate improvement from the month renaming
is http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:CommitFest which will now stay
sorted usefully moving forward.

I think that does it for changes/info you wanted to support updating the
roadmap page.

Re: Roadmap web page

From
"Brendan Jurd"
Date:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Greg Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> So basically what you want here is for CommitFest:July to become
>>> CommitFest:2008-07?  That's pretty reasonable and some ideas in this area
>>> were already tossed around.
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Done.  All the existing pages were renamed, which automatically made
> redirects from the old URLs if anybody had direct ones floating around.
>
> I also did some manual fixes to more prominent pages like
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information , as well as moving
> archived info out of there and switching to using the redirect. There
> shouldn't be a need to edit that entry page at each CommitFest anymore.

Nice.  I've followed this up with some minor updates to
CommitFest:Help and Template:CommitFestBlank which explain the naming
convention.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Roadmap web page

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb Greg Smith:
> Done.  All the existing pages were renamed, which automatically made
> redirects from the old URLs if anybody had direct ones floating around.

Might have been a good opportunity to remove the colons from the names, as
previously discussed.