Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Please apply.  Thanks.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Please apply

I'm confused. This is the version that reverts the changes that I made
today, per the page you sent me.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:01:53 -0700
>  Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>  > > Please apply
>  >
>  > I'm confused. This is the version that reverts the changes that I made
>  > today, per the page you sent me.
>
>  Wonderful.
>
>  I wonder if the request got greylisted or something and I applied an
>  older version.

Next time we only apply patches. There's no sensible way to compare
old and new versions before committing otherwise.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 08:45 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I would also ask that for people who are not committers,
> they must submit the patch to -www not to any one person directly.

Josh sent me the patch directly, since it did not arrive -www on time
for some reason.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Date:

Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> Josh sent me the patch directly, since it did not arrive -www on time
> for some reason.

Correct ... the original update e-mail was held for ~~12 hours instead of
being distributed to -www.  I had no particular belief it was ever going to
be delivered.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Devrim,

> I'm confused. This is the version that reverts the changes that I made
> today, per the page you sent me.

Right.  Check the headers; for some reason, that e-mail got held for 12 hours
at PostgreSQL.org.  Ignore it, please!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Devrim,
>
>> I'm confused. This is the version that reverts the changes that I made
>> today, per the page you sent me.
>
> Right.  Check the headers; for some reason, that e-mail got held for 12 hours
> at PostgreSQL.org.  Ignore it, please!

That's the "classic". It was either held for moderator approval, or it
was held in the maia blackhole.

//Magnus

Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> So if we enforce the, it must go to -www, the problem goes away. Yes,
> we may have to wait a while to get a patch applied but so what? Being
> patient isn't a bad thing.

So what's the timeout for e-mails which never go through at all?  12
hours?  24?  36?

--Josh

Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Timeout for which before resend? Or before we start yelling about
> emails not getting through?

Timeout before we give up on -www and send stuff directly to web
committers.  I'm willing to wait some hours, but delaying an update for
3 days while I harass Marc about checking the mail queues isn't reasonable.

Or maybe we can use a more reliable transport than -www.  Doesn't Trac
have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?

--Josh Berkus

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:13:33 -0700
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Josh,
>
>>> Timeout for which before resend? Or before we start yelling about
>>> emails not getting through?
>> Timeout before we give up on -www and send stuff directly to web
>> committers.  I'm willing to wait some hours, but delaying an update
>> for 3 days while I harass Marc about checking the mail queues isn't
>> reasonable.
>
> I think what is even more reasonable that that, is ensuring that a
> whitelist is created for certain people. You, I, Dave Page etc.. should
> never have to go through any filtering mechanisms.

The problem in the past week (or whatever it is) isn't due to
graylisting. It's due to the mailserver not accepting email.

>> Or maybe we can use a more reliable transport than -www.  Doesn't
>> Trac have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?
>

> Yes in fact it does.

But the emails notifying people of new tickets is still on the same
listserver, no?

//Magnus

Date:

Date:

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> > Or maybe we can use a more reliable transport than -www.  Doesn't
> > Trac have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?
>
> Yes in fact it does.

Can we set the issue tracker to ping this list?  Or Slaves?  I'd think that
would do it ...

--

Date:

Date:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>  If currently pings to... hmmm well there are two, there is pmt and
>  pgweb. PMT pings to sysadmins, I don't know where pgweb goes.
>
>  Dave, Magnus... should we have pgweb ping to this list?

I'm currently thinking that we should just move sysadmins and slaves
(maybe change to webteam?) to a server that is completely independent
of any of the infrastructure that we're managing through them.
Probably we should move Nagios there as well, as it's currently on the
same box as a few other things.

As for what goes where, pmt -> sysadmins, pgweb -> slaves, and lets
move the alerts to a seperate list.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 20 March 2008 04:47, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:

> > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:01:53 -0700
> >
> >  Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >  > > Please apply
> >  >
> >  > I'm confused. This is the version that reverts the changes that I made
> >  > today, per the page you sent me.
> >
> >  Wonderful.
> >
> >  I wonder if the request got greylisted or something and I applied an
> >  older version.
>
> Next time we only apply patches. There's no sensible way to compare
> old and new versions before committing otherwise.

co newfile file
svn diff file
?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Updated SummerofCode.html

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008 04:47, Dave Page wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>

>  > Next time we only apply patches. There's no sensible way to compare
>  > old and new versions before committing otherwise.
>  >
>  >

>  co newfile file
>  svn diff file

I'll suggest that next time someone complains on -patches that a patch
isn't in context diff format :-p

--

Date:
On Saturday 22 March 2008 11:51, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Robert Treat
>
> <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 March 2008 04:47, Dave Page wrote:
> >  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Joshua D. Drake
> >  > <jd@commandprompt.com>
> >  >
> >  > Next time we only apply patches. There's no sensible way to compare
> >  > old and new versions before committing otherwise.
> >
> >  co newfile file
> >  svn diff file
>
> I'll suggest that next time someone complains on -patches that a patch
> isn't in context diff format :-p

-patches is based on cvs :-P

--
Robert Treat