Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Setting up for Press Contacts inSE Asia

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Moved to -www

On Jan 29, 2008 11:42 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> This doesn't really belong on advocacy, so let me just post the reason
> here, and take further discussions off-list.
>
> psql locally = locally on his box, *not* wwwmaster, is what I meant.

OK, missed the distinction.

> We don't want end-users running *anything* on wwwmaster. This is the reason
> we made it it's own VM. We do *not* want the mess of svr1 all over again.

Unless I missed something (which is possible, I haven't really been
paying attention), we're talking about Josh having access to the
186_www database in lieu of an admin interface to... hmm, OK - what is
he trying to do exactly? At least part of this thread doesn't seem to
be on the archives site or my own mail folder :-(

In any case, I don't consider Josh to be an end user, nor do I have
any problem giving him a shell account on wwwmaster to do work which
sounds like it's comparable to one of us loading the latest version of
the docs. I'm pretty confident we can train him not to use the account
for any other purpose! I'd certainly much rather do that than have
random IPs granted direct access to the DB.

/D

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Setting up for Press Contacts inSE Asia

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Date:
On Jan 29, 2008 4:23 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:19:31 +0000
> "Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > In any case, I don't consider Josh to be an end user, nor do I have
> > any problem giving him a shell account on wwwmaster to do work which
> > sounds like it's comparable to one of us loading the latest version of
> > the docs. I'm pretty confident we can train him not to use the account
> > for any other purpose! I'd certainly much rather do that than have
> > random IPs granted direct access to the DB.
>
> I don't think that is why he wants the database. I think the database
> is a list of press contacts (I could be wrong). My take is, wwwmaster
> should only be used "if" required. Otherwise use the french boxen.

Huh? What have they got to do with this?

/D

Date:

Date:
On Jan 29, 2008 4:34 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that he just needs a database that he has constant
> access to. Why not just use the french boxen instead of putting yet
> more stuff on wwwmaster. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, I think a few of us have been in this thread.

The data will be used by the website anyway - the question is how Josh
maintains it and uses it for other purposes. I think we all agree that
non-website related work should be done elsewhere (eg. svr1), but
he'll still need access to the database, for which I prefer giving a
shell account and thus the ability to ssh tunnel to the db over direct
access to the db from svr1 or elsewhere.

/D

Date: