Bug report prelude

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
Hi!

I've only recently subscribed to the bugs mailing list, but I've
noticed that a fairly high percentage of submissions are not actually
bug reports, but requests for help. Looking at the bug report form,
there is a request to review the bug reporting guidelines, but I
thought it might help to put a brief bit of info up front. I was
thinking of something like this:

static/'>documentation</a> to verify that what you are trying is
possible. If the documentation is not clear, please report that, too;
it is a documentation bug. If a program does something different from
what the documentation says, that is also a bug.</p>

or ask on one of the <a href="/community/lists/">mailing lists</a>
for help in tuning your applications. Failing to comply to the SQL
standard is not necessarily a bug either, unless compliance for the
specific feature is explicitly claimed.</p>

to see if your bug is already known. If you cannot decode the
information on the TODO list, report your problem so we can clarify
the TODO list.</p>

Granted, there will always be bug reports which really aren't, but
perhaps this might cut down on the number by helping those who might
be better served using information we already have available.

What do you think?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Bug report prelude

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've only recently subscribed to the bugs mailing list, but I've noticed
> that a fairly high percentage of submissions are not actually bug
> reports, but requests for help. Looking at the bug report form, there is
> a request to review the bug reporting guidelines, but I thought it might
> help to put a brief bit of info up front. I was thinking of something
> like this:

> href="/docs/current/static/'>documentation</a> to verify that what you
> are trying is possible. If the documentation is not clear, please report
> that, too; it is a documentation bug. If a program does something
> different from what the documentation says, that is also a bug.</p>

> ask on one of the <a href="/community/lists/">mailing lists</a> for help
> in tuning your applications. Failing to comply to the SQL standard is
> not necessarily a bug either, unless compliance for the specific feature
> is explicitly claimed.</p>

> already known. If you cannot decode the information on the TODO list,
> report your problem so we can clarify the TODO list.</p>
>
> Granted, there will always be bug reports which really aren't, but
> perhaps this might cut down on the number by helping those who might be
> better served using information we already have available.
>
> What do you think?

Seems like a good idea. Something like this?

http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/support/submitbug

//Magnus

Re: Bug report prelude

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Sep 12, 2007, at 13:50 , Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Seems like a good idea. Something like this?
>
> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/support/submitbug

That's pretty much what I had in mind. I wonder if we shouldn't
mention the -perform list by name? Something like

ask on one of the <a href="/community/lists/">mailing lists</a> (the
particularly helpful) for help
in tuning your applications. Failing to comply to the SQL standard is
not necessarily a bug either, unless compliance for the specific feature
is explicitly claimed.</p>

Thanks for your help, Magnus!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Bug report prelude

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2007, at 13:50 , Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Seems like a good idea. Something like this?
>>
>> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/support/submitbug
>
> That's pretty much what I had in mind. I wonder if we shouldn't mention
> the -perform list by name? Something like

> ask on one of the <a href="/community/lists/">mailing lists</a> (the <a
> href="/pgsql-performance/">pgsql-performormace list</a> is particularly
> helpful) for help
> in tuning your applications. Failing to comply to the SQL standard is
> not necessarily a bug either, unless compliance for the specific feature
> is explicitly claimed.</p>

Hmm. I don't think so really, we want to keep the text as short as we
can (while still including the important info). It's listed on the page
we link to, let's not duplicate that.

Current version committed, will beo n next site build.

//Magnus

Re: Bug report prelude

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Sep 16, 2007, at 6:50 , Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Hmm. I don't think so really, we want to keep the text as short as we
> can (while still including the important info). It's listed on the
> page
> we link to, let's not duplicate that.

Yeah, I was wondering about the balance there.

> Current version committed, will beo n next site build.

Thanks for the help, Magnus :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net