pgsql-students mailing list requested

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Between Summer of Code, the Anniversary and some stuff I'm trying to set up
with ACM, I'm looking at ways to bring academic users of Postgres and the
main community closer together.

Elein suggested that we set up a pgsql-students mailing list.  I think this
is a terrific idea, and easy.   So can we set up a pgsql-students mailing
list?   With me as admin?  I'm hoping that at Anniversary I can recruit a
professor to take over leadership, but for now we could really use the
list for Summer of Code.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Between Summer of Code, the Anniversary and some stuff I'm trying to set up
> with ACM, I'm looking at ways to bring academic users of Postgres and the
> main community closer together.
>
> Elein suggested that we set up a pgsql-students mailing list.  I think this
> is a terrific idea, and easy.   So can we set up a pgsql-students mailing
> list?   With me as admin?  I'm hoping that at Anniversary I can recruit a
> professor to take over leadership, but for now we could really use the
> list for Summer of Code.

Does it make more sense for it to be something like: pgsql-academics ?
It may not just be students but also profs... and scientists.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: pgsql-students mailing list requested

From
"John Jawed"
Date:
+1, this would really help.

On 5/26/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Between Summer of Code, the Anniversary and some stuff I'm trying to set up
> with ACM, I'm looking at ways to bring academic users of Postgres and the
> main community closer together.
>
> Elein suggested that we set up a pgsql-students mailing list.  I think this
> is a terrific idea, and easy.   So can we set up a pgsql-students mailing
> list?   With me as admin?  I'm hoping that at Anniversary I can recruit a
> professor to take over leadership, but for now we could really use the
> list for Summer of Code.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Re: pgsql-students mailing list requested

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Josh?

----

Re: pgsql-students mailing list requested

From
Josh Berkus
All:

yeah, I'm not sure pgsql-students is the *best* name.  However, it's the
only one I can think of which is both unambiguous and short.
pgsql-academics I think would confuse people.   Maybe pgsql-schools, or
even pguniversity ;-)

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> yeah, I'm not sure pgsql-students is the *best* name.  However, it's the
> only one I can think of which is both unambiguous and short.
> pgsql-academics I think would confuse people.   Maybe pgsql-schools, or
> even pguniversity ;-)

pgsql-students would at least have a pretty clear focus, which the other
proposals seem to lack.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, 26 May 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> yeah, I'm not sure pgsql-students is the *best* name.  However, it's the
>> only one I can think of which is both unambiguous and short.
>> pgsql-academics I think would confuse people.   Maybe pgsql-schools, or
>> even pguniversity ;-)
>
> pgsql-students would at least have a pretty clear focus, which the other
> proposals seem to lack.

Agreed ...

pgsql-students it is ... created and active ...

----