geckofixes.css harmful on linux

From
Tuukka Tolvanen
Date:
Hello,

http://www.postgresql.org//layout/css/blue/geckofixes.css included from
http://www.postgresql.org/layout/js/geckostyle.js included from e.g.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype.html , says

     /* Gecko is broken with pre,tt,code sizes */

and then proceeds to break pre,tt,code sizes for me on Gecko (firefox,
linux). That is, the fixed width text in documentation is
disproportionately large unless the rules specified in that file are
dropped (the editcss extension is practical for testing fwiw).

Konqueror calls itself "like Gecko" in its useragent so it's also hurt
by geckofixes.css. Also, safari calls itself "like Gecko" iirc, but I
don't have one to test with.

I tested on win98 and had someone test on winxp that geckofixes.css does
appear to do the right thing on windows. I suggest sniffing for windows
OS in geckostyle.js so that geckofixes.css is only applied to gecko on
windows, where it's needed.

't.

Re: geckofixes.css harmful on linux

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
Tuukka Tolvanen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://www.postgresql.org//layout/css/blue/geckofixes.css included from
> http://www.postgresql.org/layout/js/geckostyle.js included from e.g.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype.html , says
>
>     /* Gecko is broken with pre,tt,code sizes */
>
> and then proceeds to break pre,tt,code sizes for me on Gecko (firefox,
> linux). That is, the fixed width text in documentation is
> disproportionately large unless the rules specified in that file are
> dropped (the editcss extension is practical for testing fwiw).

It doesn't seem to have the same effect in my browser (Firefox 1.0.4 on
Debian). It looks just fine, but if I use editcss to remove the style
rules included from geckofixes.css, the text becomes *really* tiny.
Also tested in konqueror, and it looks fine there as well.

--
Tommy
http://design.twobarks.com/

Date:
Tommy Gildseth kirjoitti:
> Tuukka Tolvanen wrote:

>> http://www.postgresql.org//layout/css/blue/geckofixes.css included
>> from http://www.postgresql.org/layout/js/geckostyle.js included from
>> e.g. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype.html , says

>> linux). That is, the fixed width text in documentation is
>> disproportionately large unless the rules specified in that file are
>> dropped (the editcss extension is practical for testing fwiw).
>
> It doesn't seem to have the same effect in my browser (Firefox 1.0.4 on
> Debian). It looks just fine, but if I use editcss to remove the style
> rules included from geckofixes.css, the text becomes *really* tiny.
> Also tested in konqueror, and it looks fine there as well.

Hm, that's too bad. Guess it's a matter of default monospace fonts
having wildly different x-heights, then. Yeeeah, courier new does look
tiny, about 3/4 the height of bitstream vera sans mono, and I guess
those two are the common ones :(

comparison, with a few liveCDs so personal settings don't come into play:
- win98: fine in firefox & explorer
- knoppix: grossly oversized in konqueror, signifigantly in firefox
- ubuntu: badly oversized in konqueror, reasonable in firefox

*sigh*, *shrug*

't.